Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times

Advertisements

A thought on one observation you made: If you were older than 27, and had experienced more of the team's history of recent decades, I think you'd understand the passion for the Sox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
A thought on one observation you made: If you were older than 27, and had experienced more of the team's history of recent decades, I think you'd understand the passion for the Sox.
I understand the whole 86 years of frustration and am very aware of Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, etc.

I really thought the obsession would start to die down after the world series win in 2004. What I dislike is the "yankees suck" chant and after someone asks you if the sox win, their immediate next question is "did the yankees lose".

I don't have any issues with being passionate for your team (i am a big sports fan also), but a lot of it with the red sox seems like an obsession.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I just thought Boston would be a DC without the burden of politics - melding of a vibrant old culture with a vibrant city. Instead, I have lived here for 3 months and found its people to be extremely provincial and small-minded, not really engaged on the global platform, and rather insecure about their place in the world. Understandably, the city is overrun with college kids in a way I could have never imagined, but there doesn't seem to be much to do off that big red line. The culture is very white-bred (yes I'm white, but I miss the soul!). Overall the place just does not strike me as this great "Hub" it is sold as.
I can see more of this "local thing" happening in the suburb as my experience is people living here have been here for a very long time (even generations.)

I read through the post and am still confused exactly what you are looking for. How exactly is Boston not meeting your expectation? Can you give a concrete example? Also, what crowd are you hanging with?

Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
I think I figured it out. I'm not bored for lack of things to do. There's certainly plenty to "do" in Boston. Living in DC I think I just got a little addicted to the endorphins of power, what with the constant stream of motorcades, helicopters, inaugurations, fund raising events, festivals, protests, and just overall concentration of so much global power both within the government and beyond. Not to mention the endless array of national associations and nonprofits fighting for various interests that can't be measured in goods and services. It all creates an atmosphere of focused purpose higher than just "making money".

I think I would be let down by any decent city - from Seattle to Miami - that ultimately was just a collection of people living and working in relative proximity to one another for no greater purpose than their own economic self-interest. Mind you, I'm not blind to the shortcomings of DC, but the fact that most people are apathetic about professional sports there I think is a sign that they have more important things going on. The obsession with the Sox here suggests people are looking for some greater purpose than they have in their lives. (for the record - I didn't make that previous comment about the Red Sox. But now I have. Be gentle with yon wrath, oh sacred Red Sox Nation).

Call me what you will - that's just the way I see things. To answer you question of why I want it to work out here, I'm about to begin a graduate program at MIT. Since I haven't yet figured out a way to shift MIT's location, it would be really nice if I could shift my perspective of the city. I shall try my hardest. There's a lot of great stuff and culture here, no doubt about that.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM

18 posts, read 131,787 times
Quote:

Instead, I have lived here for 3 months and found its people to be extremely provincial and small-minded, not really engaged on the global platform, and rather insecure about their place in the world. Understandably, the city is overrun with college kids in a way I could have never imagined, but there doesn't seem to be much to do off that big red line. The culture is very white-bred (yes I'm white, but I miss the soul!).

No offense, but I thought your post really came off as being a bit naive and judgmental. I'm not even from Boston but I find it offensive that you find it so easy to slap a label on all of the people there without even knowing them and then reinforce your statement as if you are intellectually superior. In fact, just because people in a particular area are a certain way it doesn't make them any better or worse than anyone else. Just different. How those differences are interpreted by individuals are entirely subjective. Your term of choice, "small minded" could be equally applied to you in this context, although I don't want to insult you (honestly). I'm also bothered that you chose to throw in a racial element into your post, and then think it's ok because "you're white". I could go on and on, but I realize you probably didn't mean to come off as offensive and were frustrated but I had to share my initial reaction with you. It happens to all of us.

As for being "engaged on the global platform", I think that's a bit of a strange statement as well. What exactly are you looking for? I'm sure if you knew people who shared the same interests, you'd be feeling much more satisfied with the area but of course this takes time. One of the biggest challenges of moving to a new area is getting settled and meeting people who have common interests.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:29 PM

132 posts, read 471,999 times
I cannot imagine that you would find bostonians small minded...that just has me shaking my head. I think they are the biggest out of the box thinkers and the most open minded people I have met. I think that the intelligence level there is wonderful. A ranking came out a while back ago that said the smartest cities in the US...Boston and Seattle!!! WOW! I agree completely with the Boston thing, as i truly believe that education is primary there. I think that folks there are also among the most NON predjudice people I have met in a long time! Hats off!!!!

The sports thing...well, you know...I am NOT a baseball fan, but am a red sox fan and watched, clinging to the bottom of my seat, the world series. I wish they would have lost one game so they could have won at home...but a win is a win I guess. The Yankess rival, whether anyone likes it or not, or how extremely out of hand it is, is a tradition...if you go to NY..you will get the same response, the same shirts that say the same things about the sox that the shirts in boston say about the yankees...the patriots,...well, they have been my team since I was 5...am 50 now...One thing I have noticed...winning season, losing season...the fans are behind their teams, bruins, celtics, sox or pats....they back em...that does not happen everywhere....good luck...all my opinion!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:15 PM

27 posts, read 40,103 times
Quote:
I've moved enough to know that it takes time to adjust to a new city. I used to live in DC, and just loved it. Its cosmopolitan energy, its intellectualism, its energy as a global center of power, and its wonderfully designed layout / open space. I've also lived as an adult in a small town in northern Michigan, so I'm not one of these snobby big city people who needs the world brought to my doorstep.

I just thought Boston would be a DC without the burden of politics - melding of a vibrant old culture with a vibrant city. Instead, I have lived here for 3 months and found its people to be extremely provincial and small-minded, not really engaged on the global platform, and rather insecure about their place in the world. Understandably, the city is overrun with college kids in a way I could have never imagined, but there doesn't seem to be much to do off that big red line. The culture is very white-bred (yes I'm white, but I miss the soul!). Overall the place just does not strike me as this great "Hub" it is sold as.

While I realize there are always exceptions to stereotypes (there are obviously pockets of cosmopolitanism, intellectualism, and diversity), my question concerns the overall vibe of the city. Am I missing something? Is my first impression accurate? Is there hope for me living here and ever embracing it? I want to!

Its pretty funnny that you just described Philly without even realizing it! Maybe you should reconsider and relocate. If you can afford Boston, Philly will be a welcome relief to the purse...

Old 11-12-2007, 03:22 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Boston, like anywhere isn't always for everyone. I find that the Boston area has a lot of pride which can be a positive and negative. It certaintly gives you a feeling like "you know where you are", or your part of something, and that it is a unique urban area. I find the on the negative side the city can be arrogant, and many people can be uptight and too serious most of the time.

I have some friends who haved lived in MA their whole life and don't understand why anyone would want to leave or go anywhere else. They don't comprehend that this place isn't for everyone, but others it fits well.

The only red sox thing I will add is when I was in Baltimore this past summer going to the Orioles/Red Sox game and after the game in downtown Baltimore lots of red sox fans were yelling "yankees s***" and other obscene things. This was after a red sox victory.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 PM

23 posts, read 106,741 times
"Mind you, I'm not blind to the shortcomings of DC, but the fact that most people are apathetic about professional sports there I think is a sign that they have more important things going on."

I like sports and I have plenty of other things to do and purpose in my life.. to say that Loving to go to a baseball/football/basketball/soccer even nascar or what ever you consider a sport means you are searching for a purpose in life is a little odd... some people just want to go watch a game with friends, jsut like any other group of friends go out...its an activity, ya know for fun. Im sure that most of thoes people have lives and you know baseball games dont last all year.....

Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
Here is my two cents worth. I grew up in Mass and Im no kid , I lived there for many years, I am 3rd generation there of Irish immigrants. I didn't grow up in the city but was born there and lived all those years less than 1 hour from the city. Too me it will always be home there, but If someone is not comfortable with the the place, then I respect their view. There is no shame in realizing a place is not for you and I think that is where the originator of this post is leaning. Don't beat yourself up over it, just try it out, when your business is over there you will know whether Boston remains in your life or you say bye bye to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston