Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,054 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are interested in moving to Dorchester, and are looking at a couple of places in Pope's Hill. The impression I'm getting is that Pope's Hill is safe and quiet, and maybe even a little bit... too quiet? I won't have a car, so will be only on foot or bike, and it seems like Pope's Hill is a little removed from any sort of local shopping, or bars, or restaurants.

We're also interested in Savin Hill/Adams Village/Lower Mills because they do seem to have enough stores nearby that you could walk to the drugstore/grocery/coffee shop. We aren't interested in having two cars, nor can we really afford it, so need to be in a place at least one of us can survive carless.

Finally, I seem to remember that Pope's Hill was one of the places that fought against school segregation in the '70s. It's probably unfair to paint the entire neighborhood with that brush, but we're a little concerned that it will be a pocket of Dorchester that isn't open to new people, or people of mixed / non-white race. Again, I know it's unfair to paint Dorchester with that brush based on events of 30 years ago, but it's honestly a concern.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
I'll comment only on your last question, about the bussing controversy in the '70's. I can't discuss any of your other questions because I don't know that neighborhood. What I will say is that Boston's demographics have changed quite a bit in the decades since the bussing issues. Therefore, you can't make any assumptions about any neighborhood based on what you knew of the area in the '70's.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times
You'll be better off in Savin Hill if you're planning to rely on public transit. Popes Hill is nice, but the nearest T stop is a mile away and you'll be walking through some less-than-stellar parts of the neighborhood to get there.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Stop and Shop on Morrisey Boulevard is not too long of a walk from Pope's Hill. Lambert's Fruit and Produce is near also, I think.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks, ogre, for your comments about busing. You're absolutely right: you can't base an opinion on an area based on events 30 years ago. (Almost 40 now!)

From what I can tell, Morrissey Boulevard is perfectly safe but not really designed for walking around. Tenean Beach had some problems with pollution, too, I recall? If there are folks that live in or frequent Pope's Hill now, I'd love to hear what you think.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 PM

316 posts, read 723,511 times
Pope's Hill is a nice, quiet area, but it's a bit underserved by public transit in my opinion. The bus routes aren't as frequent as they could be, and as others mentioned, the walk to the T takes you through some dicey areas. I think you'd be fine up there with a car, but for a car-free lifestyle, it would be challenging, though the shopping on Morrissey Boulevard is not too bad.

I'd go for either Adams Corner, which isn't terrific for bus service either but is more convenient and village-like in atmosphere, or Savin Hill, which is much closer to Downtown Boston time-wise - the train ride is only around ten minutes.

As a total wild card, have you considered Roslindale or the Malden/Medford/Everett area? These are very diverse communities about the same distance or closer to Downtown Boston than some of the areas of Dorchester that you mentioned and are very multicultural and relatively affordable for this area. Just a thought for you to consider.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
Hi,
We have lived on Popes Hill for the last six years and just love it.. We have the best neighbors, Stop and shop is at the bottom of our street, the Mud Hut coffee shop is a nice walk down Neponset and Adams village is also not far and we walk down there as a family all the time. We have seen so many changes in the last six years and its just getting better all the time with new openings and new businesses coming to the area. Yes its a little quiet but I feel safe enough to walk the streets in the evening with our dog and we have three T Stations to choose from within a 10 min walk from the house.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Pope's Hill is a family oriented and (as long as I remember) a predominantly working class Irish neighborhood. As other posters said, the Stop and Shop supermarket is right down the foot of the hill and yes there is no rapid transit station nearby but the 201/202 buses can take you to Field's Corner Station quickly.

Savin Hill is more transit oriented with it's own T-stop - best bet is to stay east of the T stop where the most desirable parts are.

I live in the Adams Village neighborhood and yes it is a very safe, comfortable, and family oriented neighborhood. Problem is there is no major supermarket within walking distance so you would have to either take a long walk or a bus to one. Ashmont Station is not too far away either.

Finally Lower Mills is also delightful with a few more shops and restaurants than the other three as well as a Shaws supermarket within walking distance.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your help! DotGirl13, I'm glad to hear you can walk as a family down to Adams Village, since that's something we'd want to do. We've actually looked at Roslindale, too, but this summer there's been barely anything available. I will say, the recent shooting/manhunt right around Dot and Shepton is disheartening, but I tell myself that something like that can happen almost anywhere in a city.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 24,516 times
Ignore the people talking about "dicey" areas on the way to the T stops (either Ashmont or Shawmut). I sincerely doubt they live here. I live on Edwin St (right next to Shepton) and have for severeal years and this area is, for a city neighborhood, very safe and quiet. You're right that it can happen almost anywhere in a city.

The walk to Ashmont from there is maybe 15-20 mins, and Shawmut maybe less if you cut through the playground (the name of which I can't remember) on Adams St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston