Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

For 2 years I have lived in a studio apartment on Commonwealth Ave & South Street which is one stop away from BC on green line. Rent was is and I'm a student. The studio is slightly large for a studio but I have had a few issues there.

Pluses
+walking distance to stores (froyo,7-11,starbux)
+privacy
+closer to campus
+near T for friends to visit (I drive everywhere)
+near other students
+ample parking by reservoir

Minus

-Very expensive for my budget...(w/electric it ends up being about 1,100 per month)
-Always super dark (depressing)....worse in winter
-centipede problem
-unfriendly neighbors (most are 35+...I'm mid 20s)
-kitchen is as old as it gets...was never able to make it nice
-near annoying undergrads

My friends and family are all disappointed I gave up such a gem. They all loved my place and now I'm second-guessing myself. I was confident in my decision until they started yapping.

New place: A 3rd floor large room in Newton. $735 per month w/electric. It is sort of dark as well but not as bad. Doesn't seem like any froyo or starbux is walking distance. Room is very private but shared common areas. Roommates have very different lifestyles from me. Land lady is extremely nice.

Have I given up a gem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 AM

May I add that in the summer it is about $1,175 per month w/electric

Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Ewww, given the centipede infestation I would initially say no.

What section of Newton are you in? I might be able to direct you to what's good around you.

I am shocked the area of Brighton you were in had that many people in their 30s. I'm also surprised you ended up in Newton. I remember your other thread about wanting to live no farther than 30 minutes walking distance to the financial district.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Ewww, given the centipede infestation I would initially say no.

What section of Newton are you in? I might be able to direct you to what's good around you.

I am shocked the area of Brighton you were in had that many people in their 30s. I'm also surprised you ended up in Newton. I remember your other thread about wanting to live no farther than 30 minutes walking distance to the financial district.
I am in "Newton Centre" but I do feel kind of far from the actual center where all the shops are. I'm a couple blocks from Commonwealth Ave and Morton.

When I graduate this May, if I get a job down by the Financial District I would like to live around there. That thread was sort of just a way for me to plan ahead. I'm currently in school Full-time in Newton.

Yes, my old building in Brighton was mostly 35+. They didn't allow undergrads (except me because I am a couple years older, have lived in several other apts, and had an "in"), run background checks, etc.

I HATE centipedes. There was a point when I would see one everyday. I seriously could not just relax because I would always be on the look out for a centipede. Once I put the AC away, they all come out to play.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Most of the fun little shops and cafes are at the intersection of Center and Beacon, the real Newton Center. That would be about a 20 min walk or a shorter car drive. Newton Center has a Starbucks and a Peet's Coffee that has a great open space. There is also a Panera right in that same vicinity. If you like more indie type wifi cafes to the North of you in Newtonville, another little town center of Newton with more shops and eating places, is George Howell, a small independently owned niche coffee shop. There is another fairly large Starbucks in Newtonville around the corner off Walnut. On Walnut street across from George Howell is a yogurt shop. Across the bridge, likely a better drive than walk in a Whole Foods. I can testify from experience – great gelato. A short drive from you to West Newton, yet another little business district, is another indie wifi cafe L'Aroma that is spacious, with a quiet, arty interior. That is pretty much everything close by you. Hope you get a little closer to the action next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: