Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:36 AM

25 posts, read 125,046 times

Advertisements

I am a recent college grad and was offered a position in Boston at a hotel located near Logan Airport near the harbor. I am originally from NJ , lived in Miami , and now moving to Boston which I know NOTHING about. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look for housing ? The position pays 37 K a year. I will live alone and am not really picky on where I can live as long as its decent and safe. All I hear is about Bostons high cost of living . I lived in Miami for 4 years and consider it a pretty expensive city because traffic is chronic here,rent is high , public transportion is very non-reliable so you must drive everywhere ! ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME ...THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 04:41 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
check out the Lynn/Revere/East Boston area. all these areas offer relatively inexpensive rents, quick access to the blue line, and a fast commute to downtown Boston. I don't know enough about these areas to give more advice, but I do know that some areas of Revere are better than others, and some areas can be iffy (it's an "up and coming" area, but not quite there yet)

Old 11-18-2007, 03:54 PM
LCT

24 posts, read 71,669 times
That's a difficult question to answer without some additional info. Are you planning on bringing a car to Boston? Do you have a clue what your hours will be?

It is difficult in many areas to park and almost impossible in others. Some areas have limited on-street parking with a residency permit. Lots are few and far between and are outrageous, particularly for monthly parking. Boston's public transportation (MBTA) is not too bad. However, there is no 24 hour service. You'll need to check the MBTA's website to find their hours if your job will have you working crazy hours. The last subway is probably around midnight for the Blue Line, which serves the airport. I have not taken public transport to the airport in years but you used to have to ride the subway then change for a bus to get into the Logan Airport area. I have no idea if this is still the situation nor do I know if the buses make stops at the Airport's hotels. Perhaps a call to your hotel would answer this question.

I suggest you check out the Boston Globe's classifieds to get a feel for available apartments, their location, costs and parking accommodations, if any are provided. Armed with that info, get yourself a local map and an MBTA map. FYI - on the local map, make note of the location of toll bridges and tunnels near the airport. These are notorious bottlenecks and can add a few bucks to your commute. Logan Airport is in an awful location. It's one of those places you can see from all over the place but cannot easily access, between the harbor and all the traffic congestion.

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing you should allow at least $800 a month for rent for a modest place, possibly first and last month's rent as a security deposit. Cars are expensive to own, operate and park in greater Boston. If you can swing it, you might want to consider giving up your car. Check with your new employer; they may have some kind of arrangement with a car rental company at the airport so that if you do need a car occasionally, you could rent one.

Most large employers usually have some kind of assistance for folks new to the area. Your employer may have a package of info that will answer some basic questions for you about accommodations, public transport, driver's license, car insurance, etc. Other hotel employees could prove very useful in recommending where to live based on their experience with commuting, prices locally, etc. Maybe someone knows of an upcoming vacancy where they live.

Choice number two: contact a real estate agent and get some assistance from them. Rentals are quite common in Boston so all realtors should be reasonably informed. The worst an agent could do is steer you in the right direction or at least tell you where not to live.

If you bring a car to Boston, depending on the make/model, your age and driving record be prepared to fork over a lot of money for insurance. The insurance rates are based in part on where you "normally" house your car [home] and if, when and where you commute. As a rule of thumb, the closer you are living to downtown Boston, the higher the insurance rate.

Another factor regarding your work hours and a car is snow emergencies and street cleaning. If you have a car parked on the street and you take public transportation, you could have a problem if there's a snow emergency issued. During these emergencies, cars have to get off the streets (good luck with where to park then) or risk both a hefty ticket and getting towed. For reasons I cannot explain it appears to me that there are more "emergencies" overnight than during the day.

That's good because during the day, there are parking restrictions for street cleaning at least once a week during the day. Again, fines and towing are the order of the day.

Best of luck; congrats on your new job!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:20 PM

25 posts, read 125,046 times
Thanx so much for all the info.. Extremely helpful . No , I will be selling my car in Miami and not bringing it to Boston because all those you reasons you stated which I have heard. It seems like congestion and parking are a hassle in this "small" city huh ? I will definitley check these areas out. My main concern is not having a luxurious home with amenities . Just something decent, not too expensive, and in a safe area of town. My hours will vary during the day ( PM/AM) so public transportation hours sometimes worries me. Any places maybe you think I should stay away from ...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston