Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,191,907 times

Advertisements

Just curious how often people who live in the surrounding areas of the city actually go into Boston in their free time? Do you drive or take the train and what are your favorite spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:38 AM

967 posts, read 4,782,124 times
Hi Puffle,

I don't get into Boston as often as I'd like but here are some places/things I really enjoy in Boston:

- Handel's Messiah at Symphony Hall (I liked the previous conductor better but it's still a lovely tradition.)
- Arnold Arboreteum in the springtime when the lilacs are out is so beautiful.
- Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum - There's so much to see in what looks like a tiny place and the courtyard is lovely.

I try to take the Commuter Rail as often as possible but on the weekends it can be a bit of a challenge because there are limited trips in/out of Boston at the stations near me on the Framingham/Worcester line. We met my parents in Boston for dinner last week and couldn't realistically take the train because the only returning times were 8:30 and 10:30pm, neither of which was ideal for us. But where you are there might be more trains running.

I hope you're enjoying the area! :-)

Old 11-24-2007, 02:27 PM

15,853 posts, read 21,409,467 times
I live in Waltham at Brandeis right off of the commuter rail, so I go into Boston excessively. Also, from Friday to Sunday, there is a free bus for us that also is often used by people in the community (if they know about it). The commuter rail hours aren't always super ideal, but they're decent enough to not need a car. Also, there is generally plenty of parking at the ends of many of the T lines, especially on weekends.

I lived in Harvard Square over the summer so I like going there for a weekend trip. There's plenty to do and lots of good restaurants. I especially like JFK Park to sit and read or people watch. The Boston Public Library is also absolutely wonderful and I spend many hours there.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I live in Waltham at Brandeis right off of the commuter rail, so I go into Boston excessively. Also, from Friday to Sunday, there is a free bus for us that also is often used by people in the community (if they know about it). The commuter rail hours aren't always super ideal, but they're decent enough to not need a car. Also, there is generally plenty of parking at the ends of many of the T lines, especially on weekends.

I lived in Harvard Square over the summer so I like going there for a weekend trip. There's plenty to do and lots of good restaurants. I especially like JFK Park to sit and read or people watch. The Boston Public Library is also absolutely wonderful and I spend many hours there.
We briefly went to the Boston Public Library yesterday with liimited time. I really didn't know where to go, it is so big! Any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2007, 03:45 PM

967 posts, read 4,782,124 times
My father and sister do a lot of geneology research at the Boston Public Library. They have a very nice archive of old newspapers.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 PM

8 posts, read 37,160 times
I generally stay away from Boston during my spare time, mainly because I'm an inspector for the city, and the daily occupation of going to different neighborhoods has numbed me to viewing the hub as an exciting place to go. It's weird, because growing up in Boston, I've always viewed the city as having everything right at my fingertips, but now I wouldn't trade the suburban lifestyle on the south shore for anything. OOPS! Except NYC.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,411,293 times
When I was growing up we went in to Boston at least once a month. We usually drove in ourselves but I do remember taking the train in once and then using a Taxi to get around once we were there.

We went to see everything my parents could find to drag me to, I remember an off broadway presentation of Annie, a glass butterfly display at Harvard, countless Boston Pops performances, walking the freedom trail, the arboretum, Boston Common, Old Ironsides.

I just saw an episode of Diners, Drive Inns and Dives and they spoke of a place called Mikes City Diner.

Mike's City Diner
1714 Washington St
Boston, MA 02118
Tel: (617) 267-9393

It looked AWESOME, he makes everything with turkey.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,733,328 times
I do not like the train or driving so I take the commuter boat in to Long Wharf and on occasion walk over to Fanueil Hall and then the North End..usually walk around there, have a great dinner, visit Mike's Bakery ( a must) and take the boat back home. Great way to spend a day. Extremely relaxing.

Last edited by crazyworld; 11-24-2007 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: left a word out

Old 11-25-2007, 04:40 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,479,994 times
From Concord,

I only know of 2 options... Drive or Commuter rail.

For weekends, if you have a family of 4 or more. I find it easier and cheaper to drive in. Parking for weekends in many garages are $10. You can often find 2hr parking on Saturdays (meter run til 8pm). It is free on Sundays but harder to find a spot. However, if you are in the city early (10am), it should not be a problem finding a spot.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:17 AM

15,853 posts, read 21,409,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
We briefly went to the Boston Public Library yesterday with liimited time. I really didn't know where to go, it is so big! Any suggestions?
Well first, I would suggest getting yourself and your family library cards there. It's a pretty addition to your wallet and it's a great resource. With the library card, you can go online and download books on tape, which is fun if you want to kill time without listening to music in the car or relaxing. It can also be a LIFESAVER for school projects if you have kids- I go there often to supplement what we have at my college library. My favorite part of the library is the foreign language section. Even if you don't understand the foreign languages, it's just fascinating to see what a range they have! Even after numerous trips to the library- I still get lost! There's the library library part with all of the books, and then there's a more historical section. Every time I go into the 2nd of those entrances, I have to ask the attendant how to get to the other part. There's a nice courtyard you have to walk through and a cute little cafe inside too.

Also, you always hear people talk about the North End, but for a bit of an eastern flair, check out Chinatown. If you've never had dim sum, I recommend it! It's a weekend brunch from about 11-2 (some places, such as China Pearl, have it week long) where there's a range of foods that are bought a la carte off of carts circling the restaurant. It's generally better to go with a few people, a patience for sometimes lacking English skills, an adventurous spirit, and the understanding that you will have NO idea how much it costs until you ring up the bill. It's pretty cheap price wise, IMO. Imperial Seafood (by the Chinatown gates) and China Pearl are two of the better places. Also, there is a really interesting Chinese candy store, several grocery stores, and bakeries that are worth a look.

Since Boston and the outlying areas have such a great range of colleges, keep an eye out for plays, concerts, etc that are often priced relatively cheaply- even for those outside of the college community. Many colleges also have free or cheap museums to visit (Harvard has the glass flower exhibit and a few museums, Brandeis has the Rose Art Museum which is considered one of the best contemporary art museums in the country). The MFA is worth pretty much any price you have to pay to go there, but I think Wed nights are free? I could be wrong about the date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston