Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times

Advertisements

If you look at US history with European immigration, you will see that the Irish and the Italians, the traditionally poor immigrant populations from Europe, had only enough resources (barely) to cross the Atlantic. So they settled in all the ghetto sections of East Coast cities like Boston and NYC. The immigrants from Saxony, the Germanic States, Austria and the Netherlands had more financial resources (many owned shops and what not), so when they came over to this side of the Atlantic, they were able to buy land up for settlement (for sale cheap by the US government) out in the Mid-West (like around Michigan and beyond). They also had the resources to buy wagons, supplies, tools to go out there and settle in their newly purchased land and become new American landowners (homesteads). This is why many White people in the Mid-West seem more blond. It's because they are from the more blond stocks of Europe.

I personally prefer the darker haired and dark eyed guys myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM

24 posts, read 40,148 times
This is probably the craziest post I have read so far on here!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Am I the only one who is skeeved out by this whole thread? It just comes across as wrong on so many levels.
Why? The OP asked a simple question about skin tone differences in one area vs another, and posted images to compare the two. Do people's skin change color when they mourn? No, so what difference does it make? OP probably did a search for "Boston" pics and it came up. This trend of "since I have the option to be offended, I might as well take offense" really needs to go ....

Old 01-01-2014, 10:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
don't be a moron, the op is not from ma and probably just googled boston and grabbed the first pic of a bunch of people that came up. 99.99999999% of this country wouldn't recognize what that pic was and you know it. Don't help prove that ma is full of overly sensitive crybabies. In the end it's a picture of people, the context is irrelevant.
+1

Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,469,057 times
Gee I had thought to stay out of this thread because it does make my skin crawl. But you made me smile and even giggle a bit to categorize me as easily offended. City-Data Boston seems to be full of people determined to, as I say, stir the pot. I joined this sight because I found somethings helpful and most of the posters are actually interesting but it seems to be changing for the worse.
I am positive that spending half an hour in my company would be most offensive for you. I make no apologies for being a working class, old school, Massachusetts native.
Oh and the OP does live in the area and has for awhile. He clearly knew what that image was about.

Last edited by magicshark; 01-02-2014 at 06:38 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,496 times
I am from Michigan and this is the most absurd posting! Um...Michigan just happens to have 500,000 people from Lebanon and the Levant. Oh, I forgot, it is full of Eastern Europeans mainly from Albania also. I would assume the OP wouldn't consider them White, so I guess my comments might seem irrelevant. Yes, the Upper Peninsula is home to people from Finland and the Gold Coast of Michigan (the western coastal towns) have Dutch people. But, the bulk of the population in Michigan reside in Metropolitan Detroit. (I am sure you will find more than Ivan or Jon in Michigan) LMAO

Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM

Here Boston, watch this and compare skin tones...lol

Pure Michigan Statewide Singalong - YouTube

Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Here Boston, watch this and compare skin tones...lol

Pure Michigan Statewide Singalong - YouTube
What a dumb video.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
What a dumb video.
Well it went viral with over 2 million views in less than two weeks. Most comments indicated that people liked it. Anyway, I posted it to see if there is a difference in skin tone..

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Well it went viral with over 2 million views in less than two weeks. Most comments indicated that people liked it. Anyway, I posted it to see if there is a difference in skin tone..
Oh well, if 2 million people from Michigan liked it, I must be wrong. It's a masterpiece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston