Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 AM

10 posts, read 61,101 times

Advertisements

Thanks Sharon. I agree that practice makes perfect. Maybe we'll see each other driving around Watertown, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:53 PM

288 posts, read 634,886 times
Haha. Perhaps we will see each other around Watertown.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of bikers in Boston use hand signals, which are always signaled with the left hand. They're also meant to be used if your signals lights are broken or if you have some very old vintage car without signal lights.

Speaking of winter and new drivers, do any of you recommend a first car that is good for hilly urban areas and safe for a new driver? I was looking at a Subaru Impreza but the gas mileage isn't great, and perhaps AWD is overkill. I also have a friend who recommends a Prius but her only complaint is that the car doesn't seem to handle well in snowy conditions on hills. But she and her family are fiercely loyal to the Prius and rave about it. Perhaps there's other cars that we should consider? We're probably only traveling about 14 miles every day, mostly on surface streets in suburban/urban areas.

Last edited by sharencare; 12-20-2013 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,811 times
Good winter tires >> AWD. Especially on hills!

I would probably choose a car that was a hybrid or had good city MPG. Personally, I wouldn't get a new car as a new driver because of 'learning experiences'. A 1999 Toyota Corolla should be cheap and easy on the wallet for repairs.

If you are a newer driver, I highly recommend taking your car on a snowy day to a lightly plowed parking lot and figure out how your car handles in the snow. Can you recover from sliding out? Better to find out then, rather than on the road.

Bikers may signal with the right hand. I find that pointing is the best form of communication as most people don't remember the traditional hand signals.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Good winter tires >> AWD. Especially on hills!

I would probably choose a car that was a hybrid or had good city MPG. Personally, I wouldn't get a new car as a new driver because of 'learning experiences'. A 1999 Toyota Corolla should be cheap and easy on the wallet for repairs.
I was going to say the same thing. Traction depends almost completely on the tires, not the car (not including extreme examples). For a beginner, buy a used car that's got proven reliability and include snow tires in the budget. A 10 year old Civic or Corolla with snow tires will be able to handle the snow better than a majority of vehicles out there. You'd literally be able to drive past SUVs spinning their tires.

FYI, the Prius may be bad in the snow because it has low rolling resistance tires (designed with gas mileage in mind). If it had snow tires on it, I guarantee your friend wouldn't complain about how it drives in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston