Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:54 AM

374 posts, read 655,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I've been fighthing that stereotype. Boston (Southern areas), Lowell and Randolph have a bad rep on CD. You have to remember, people come to ask questions here regarding areas they do not know.

Most of the time anytime someone mentions the aforementioned places it's within the context of "AVOID AVOID AVOID". Just search. You've always been cordial regarding this subject though.
I look at a high percentage of the readers on this forum preferring things which are not found in abundance south of Boston.

1) Short commute to work
2) Walkable community
3) Exceptionally rated schools perhaps on a national scorecard
4) Lots of different restaurants within 5 minutes of home

It just does not happen. Everything requires a hodgepodge. Someone born on the South Shore knows every road and can create a travel plan to traverse a distance of 35 to 50 miles between two points without using an interstate equivalent road. On the street that I used to live...a non-native would never imagine it as the main throughway to connect places such as Sharon and Marshfield. People travel around the area to actually do something.

Everyone drives. The commute times for workers on the south shore are the longest.
People think nothing of leaving town to head for a nice restaurant.

Randolph have some pluses. On the South shore it is really dependent on you to make the best of it. Things just don't stand out and pop. Randolph's plus is the proximity to many things. You can make an easier commute to places in Taunton, Boston, or Needham. Other places do not have that flexibility.

You might think twice about taking that job in the Taunton Industrial Park if you live in Needham. However, if you are in Randolph, then you might consider it more.

Bill

Last edited by n1ey; 09-01-2014 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM

728 posts, read 974,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
Someone born on the South Shore knows every road and can create a travel plan to traverse a distance of 35 to 50 miles between two points without using an interstate equivalent road. On the street that I used to live...a non-native would never imagine it as the main throughway to connect places such as Sharon and Marshfield. People travel around the area to actually do something.
Too true. I love showing all the back-roads to people who aren't from or raised in the area. To just mention a few towns, I can get to Weymouth, Rockland, Hanson, Dedham, Boston (Hyde Park, Rozzie, etc.), Sharon and Kingston under 25 minutes without using the Highway from Randolph.

I used to work in North Quincy and it took me about 15-20 minutes to get work around 8AM, using local roads. Not bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston