Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,739 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am moving to Cambridge for a new job in the next week from VA. I grew up in Virginia Beach and spent my 4 years of college at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, so I'm somewhat used to cold/snow since Blacksburg is in the mountains... but I definitely don't think I'm fully prepared for Boston. Since I grew up near the beach and am small/thin, I'm a lot more sensitive to cold weather. I also don't like wind since strong winds have a tendency to trip me up since I'm small. I'd appreciate any tips on how to prepare and adjust to the cold weather in the area, as well as any tips about getting used to living in the area in general!

As far as weather goes, I own a North Face Triclimate Coat and a pair of North Face snow boots. Would these suffice for the type of cold in Boston? If not, what types and brands of coats/boots/gloves should I be looking at?

I will be taking the T or a bus from where I live in Cambridge toward Harvard Square. I've used public transportation when interning in DC a while back, but any tips about using the T or bus system would be great.

I've been accustomed to doing my grocery shopping at Walmart, Kroger, Food Lion, and Target for as long as I can remember. Aside from Target, I don't think these places are up there, so are there any comparable stores (aka cheaper stores haha)?

Other than that, are there any things people who aren't used to Boston don't really think of before moving there? I'm trying to get prepared as possible before I make the big move!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Kohls is an economical place to shop for ladies clothes, especially slim ladies. Market Basket and Hannafords are Massachusetts Food Lion and Kroger. There are consignment stores all over the place for picking up all kinds of things for the home.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 PM

596 posts, read 818,771 times
Market Basket in Somerville is definitely the cheapest place to get groceries. I wish I lived closer. I haven't seen a Hannafords but I guess they're here? Trader Joe's can be affordable too; there's one near Fresh Pond.

North Face doesn't temp rate their jackets so I'm not sure if you'll be warm enough. If the hood isn't insulated you'll definitely need a hat. I recommend a coat like this (Women's Everyday Down Maxi Coat from Lands' End) for really cold days (like today) if you can afford it. Boots should be fine but you may want wool socks.

As for the T, get a charlie card (plastic ticket card sort of like SmartTrip) as soon as you get here. I got mine at the customer service counter at Shaws/Star Market (a fairly ubiquitous grocery store, there's one in Porter Square). Download a T map to your phone (one that doesn't require internet connection because sometimes you can't get it on the train) or just take a picture of a T map. Learn when the last train leaves wherever you're going (between 12:15-12:45am typically) and learn the bus numbers that go near your apartment.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I wouldn't worry about the coat, it should be fine. I haven't worn anything heavier than a carhart with sweater or sweathshirt this year and generally walk an hour a day outside (more today, which may be the coldest so far, except last Friday night). You just get used to it. The wind its the real issue.

Market Basket is the best.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,739 times
Awesome, thanks so much everyone!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
If you have car be very careful to observe the rules, and especially parking rules. You can get parking ticket (or worse be towed) faster in Cambridge, than any other place I know. Snow emergency parking ban is also is something that you might not know about, and should get familiar with when you get here. Parking is PITA.
Hope it helps.
Welcome!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
One commuting tip: Don't rely on the printed bus schedules--get one of the MBTA bus apps for your phone that shows when the bus is coming in real-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston