Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 PM

145 posts, read 282,805 times

Advertisements

I'm asking for your opinion or advice:

I work the overnight shift from 11pm to 7am and my apartment floor needs to be replaced. By that, I mean all of the floor between my unit and the basement or boiler room below me, not just the tiles. Given my schedule, I've got a problem. I think that most construction workers work in the daytime. I would prefer for them to replace my floor in the evening or overnight while I'm at work.

Can anyone suggest a construction worker or company that works evenings or overnight?

What sorts of problems should I expect (if I want to have this work done in the evenings or overnight)?

Do you have suggestions or solutions?

I live on Beacon Hill, a residential area, if that's important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Do you have neighbors? I'd be on the phone with the police if my neighbors thought construction overnight was a smart decision.

I'd take a week off of work, or stay in a hotel for a few days.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:34 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Do you have neighbors? I'd be on the phone with the police if my neighbors thought construction overnight was a smart decision.

That's a great point. The OP mentioned they live in an apartment. So, I'm thinking not only do they have neighbors but they likely are very close neighbors. Many condo associations have rules which limit construction work and/or excessive noise levels to certain hours of the day. So, you may be subject to fines from the association if you complete the work at night.

IMO, the best thing you can do is find alternative lodging while the work is being done during the day.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:08 AM

What if the construction work was done from noon to 8pm or 11am to 7pm, instead of 9-5 or earlier?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:06 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss44 View Post
I'm asking for your opinion or advice:

I work the overnight shift from 11pm to 7am and my apartment floor needs to be replaced. By that, I mean all of the floor between my unit and the basement or boiler room below me, not just the tiles. Given my schedule, I've got a problem. I think that most construction workers work in the daytime. I would prefer for them to replace my floor in the evening or overnight while I'm at work.

Can anyone suggest a construction worker or company that works evenings or overnight?

What sorts of problems should I expect (if I want to have this work done in the evenings or overnight)?

Do you have suggestions or solutions?

I live on Beacon Hill, a residential area, if that's important.

Nobody is going to do that at night, loud construction is permitted 7am-7pm. You've got to understand your the one on the backwards schedule. You may have to stay at a friends or something.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times
I agree with snatale as I used to do work late at nights from time to time when I was doing home remodeling/property maintenance, but that was painting or minor electrical where I could be quiet. Replacing flooring really requires noisemaking. There are some contrators that still work overnights like I used to, but mostly in business settings where no residence was bothered by the noise. You may want to elect to sleep thru the noise while you are home and or adjust your sleeping. That is alot to ask of neighbors in the same building. Noon to 8 may work, but I would check with your neighbors first, then brace for complaints

Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

A few days to a week? Last time the floor was replaced it took them 3 months!

Does anyone know how long it should take to replace a floor? 16'x6' est.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston