Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

Yes, I said it. Living with pests makes me feel like I'm going crazy. I was really interested in the North End but it seems like it is notorious for rodents. Same with Back Bay and much of Allston-Brighton. I lived in Back Bay about 8 years ago and had an uncontrollable mouse problem.

When I lived in Brighton it was infested w/centipedes. My current place in Newton is pest free. We want to live near the T with a budegt of $1400-$1600 for a 1 bedroom or a large studio/loft.

Where can I comfortably look for pest-free living accommodations? What should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
People have given you a lot of advice already. At some point you're going to need to do the legwork and start looking at what apartments are actually available for you that fit your budget and will allow your dog.

That said, I don't think anyone sets out to live in a roach/rat-infested apartment. Did you think yours was such a unique request? I lived in the North End and never saw any critters in my apartment, for what its worth.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

When I lived in Brighton it was infested w/centipedes.

Well, house centipedes aren't really a direct negative. They're indirect. They're not a pest, they're a predator of pests: they eat pest insects, so the centipedes are performing a service for you.

That said, you wouldn't have a large population unless there was something for them to eat. It does just make me unsettled when people bad mouth them or spiders.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:02 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Why not stay in Newton? There's plenty of T service and the commuter rail runs through it. West Newton and the area around exit 17 around the Mass Pike have rental units. And the apartments I've been to in Watertown were very clean.

You just have to look at all apartments within your price range and inspect them thoroughly before signing the lease. Bring a flashlight and inspect the bottom kitchen cabinets for cleanliness and any evidence of insects. Ask to see where the rubbish goes and how it is stored.

The suburbs don't have a rat problem, but there is potential for mice getting into the buildings. So you might want to only look at upper floor apartments.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM

145 posts, read 283,032 times
In my experience the lower levels like basements, and to a lesser extent, 1st floors are more pest prone than upper floors.

To help with centipedes, you can dehumidify or air condition. Get a large quality dehumidifier like the ones sold at Best Buy.

To help with mice, don't leave trash out, don't live next to the trash room, don't live next to people who leave trash out (if you can help it), and remember that rodents are attracted to heat in the winter. In college, I knew a few different people, who informed me that they were able to control rodents by blocking their vents with screen material and some painters tape. As gross as it is, rodents like to come through the vents in basements. You'd think they'd get burned, but they don't somehow. They also like oven vents so if you can part with using your oven, that will help - but it might not be necessary.

Fun fact (warning - it's nasty): If you go out walking in the summer just before the sun comes up in Beacon Hill or some areas of the Back Bay, you'll see hundreds of rodents scattering out of your way. I think someone should make a youtube video of this. It might go viral.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It does just make me unsettled when people bad mouth them or spiders.
Rep to another spider fan.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, house centipedes aren't really a direct negative. They're indirect. They're not a pest, they're a predator of pests: they eat pest insects, so the centipedes are performing a service for you.

That said, you wouldn't have a large population unless there was something for them to eat. It does just make me unsettled when people bad mouth them or spiders.

I wouldn't have a problem with the occasional centipede but this was daily sometimes twice a day and they are so fast and big...its creepy. Not to mention they freaked my dog out. Mine were climbing up the walls. The worst was when I had to air dry sweaters in the bathroom...the centipedes would hang out on my clothing and I had VERY close call with them

Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 PM

387 posts, read 916,369 times
Old cities built on landfills are prone to pests. Not much you can do about that. Unfortunately, that's a large portion of Boston:

Modern-day map of downtown Boston with the 1640's map overlaid on top
Boston: History of the landfills

Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 AM

145 posts, read 283,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with the occasional centipede but this was daily sometimes twice a day and they are so fast and big...its creepy. Not to mention they freaked my dog out. Mine were climbing up the walls. The worst was when I had to air dry sweaters in the bathroom...the centipedes would hang out on my clothing and I had VERY close call with them
A friend of mine claims she once saw a large house centipede chasing a small mouse!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 AM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
I think it's more about the type of building you're in and the way it's maintained. If you rent a place in a clean, owner-occupied multi family home, your chances of running into serious pest issues are probably much lower than they would be if you lived in a large, transient apartment building in an area with many students or a dilapidated house with an absentee landlord. If I were you, I'd focus more on the other numerous parameters you've set forth. Once you look at a few places, you should be able to suss out for yourself whether or not there will be issues by using your eyes and your common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston