Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping some people can point me to a decently priced salon accessable by the T- preferable the red line between Alefwife and South Station or upper green line. I'm a college student who can't afford the steep Newbury Street prices but want to treat myself to something a bit better than Great Clips.

I have wavy hair so it would be nice to have someone who focuses on curly or wavy cuts, but not essential. I'm looking to make a big change as well but don't necessarily want a super edgy place- I want to strike a happy medium between classic and edgy.

Any recommendations or experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 05:44 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
Talking Are you brave?

Go to a Beauty School and have a student cut your hair. Here is a list of beauty schools. You can call and see what day/times they have training hours.
http://www.mass.gov/Eoca/docs/dpl/boards/hd/schools.pdf (broken link)

At the Blaine Beauty Schools salon near downtown crossing. You pay $5 for a shampoo, cut, & blow dry! All of the students are supervised by instructors. On busy days be prepared to wait, so bring a good book.

If you have long hair and are planning on cutting 10 inches or more off, consider donating your hair to Locks of Love. Some salons will give you a free haircut or a deeply discounted one if you donate.

Lastly search on craigslist and look for ads for free haircuts. Search on the word "hair" in the community section or the free section under for sale. You tend to see two types of free haircut offers. Students who need a hair model for a test or licensing exam and experienced hair dressers looking for hair models for a skills demonstration, product demonstration, or trade show.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:25 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,044 times
hahaha for some reason i read this as "affordable Boston saloons" and got really excited.

Sorry. I cut my hair myself or pay a barber like 15 bucks.

But if you're looking for 'saloons' any time soon let me know

Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Go to a Beauty School and have a student cut your hair. Here is a list of beauty schools. You can call and see what day/times they have training hours.
http://www.mass.gov/Eoca/docs/dpl/boards/hd/schools.pdf (broken link)

At the Blaine Beauty Schools salon near downtown crossing. You pay $5 for a shampoo, cut, & blow dry! All of the students are supervised by instructors. On busy days be prepared to wait, so bring a good book.

If you have long hair and are planning on cutting 10 inches or more off, consider donating your hair to Locks of Love. Some salons will give you a free haircut or a deeply discounted one if you donate.

Lastly search on craigslist and look for ads for free haircuts. Search on the word "hair" in the community section or the free section under for sale. You tend to see two types of free haircut offers. Students who need a hair model for a test or licensing exam and experienced hair dressers looking for hair models for a skills demonstration, product demonstration, or trade show.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not quite sure if I'm THAT brave! :P I would definitely go to a beauty school to get a trim, but since I'm in for a big change.. eee! It's mostly a problem in that I have rough idea of what I want- not an exact idea- and I would feel uncomfortable asking a student to just use their best judgment. :P I might go to get a perm or color job though! For $20, that's cheaper than it usually is for me to mess with colored dyes (one box for the actual color, another when I realize my dark brown hair has turned orange :P).

TheWereRabbit- I'll definitely let you know if I find any cheap saloons! :P

Old 12-09-2007, 08:56 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
Default Good Hair Salons In Town

The previous poster is absolutely correct. We went to the beauty school for the longest time. If I were you I'd try it. It's definitely worth it. If you don't want to go that route then check out Rachel that works at Michelle International Hair and Day Spa located at 125 Pearl St. Ste. 1 in the financial district. I know a ton of people, (young ones like you too!) that work through that area and will only go to her. She's very good. Their # is 617 423-0123. Make sure you get a price quote. It would be very convenient from South Station to get to this salon, it's not far from High St. at all which is the street that turns from Summer St. in downtown Boston. Pearl Street can be reached by walking from the train station at South Station past the big Federal Reserve building, then at the corner of the building, cross here at the lights to the left for Congress St. Pearl Street is to the right of Congress St. just walk down to the right on Purchase St. and you'll come upon Pearl St. on the left. When you look up at the buildings across from the Federal Reserve Bank building complex? Just look for the Fire Department Headquarters located upstairs facing out with a big picture window, and that's where you'll walk over toward and Pearl Street is right there too. Across from this 125 High Street complex's front door (where the Fire Department Headquarters is located) is 125 Pearl Street, you can't miss it.

Another extremely "good one" to check out is "Headquarters" in the neighborhood of Southie, it used to be called Dyan and Company when I went there, it's still quite good and very reasonable compared to Newbury St. In fact, I used to hop in a taxi from South Station some times when I was on my lunch hour to get my hair cut here! With you, you could get off at Broadway station's (red line) and just take the MBTA bus there right to East Broadway; where this salon is located. It really is quite a salon, I've been here several times and really like it a lot and also with this one, the prices are right online to see what you think about it:

HEADQUARTERS HAIR SALON - IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU AT HEADQUARTERS - SOUTH BOSTON, MA - 617-269-0085

Another "good one" to check out in downtown Boston though is further down near North Station on 205 Portland Street. It's called the Frances Ray Jules Salon:

BostonSalon FrancesRay Jules Hair and Nail salon

They're very good in here and reasonable compared to Newbury Street's outrageous prices! The prices are actually cut in half at all 3 of these places. So whichever one you go with? Any of them would be ideal, I think you'd like Headquarters myself in Southie, check their site out to see what I mean about it.

I just went to Beaucage yesterday located at 71 Newbury St. and paid $65 for a haircut, so you're right. I'm a nut though, I've been going here now for over a year. I probably need my head examined paying there prices. I like them though and right now it works for me. These three I mentioned here I've gone to all of them and they're extremely good hair salons and you'd be able to get to them from the red line in no time. The one down near North Station this Frances Ray Jules Salon, well, you could walk from South Station straight down Congress Street all the way and cross toward that parking garage at Haymarket Station and keep walking until you head toward the North Station complex, you'll see Portland Street across from it and # 205 Portland is right there.

Good luck wherever you go!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:13 PM

I'm going to try out Design of Boston salon by North Statio . It was recommended by a friend and a short online review check seems to show that they seem to be pretty great. It's a bit pricier than I'd really like ($50) but that's for a shampoo and conditioner, cut, blow dry, and style which would be about $80 on Newbury! I'm OK with spending the extra money because I'm going to a big change (and this is a big deal for me... I'm almost 20 and have NEVER gone anywhere other than salon of Dad and Great Clips!).

I'll post a review when I go and thanks for all the suggestions. If this place is a dud, I might try out some of your other suggestions later and I'll definitely be checking out getting a perm or dye at the beauty school!

Old 02-16-2008, 06:07 AM

Default update?

charolastra00 Any update?

Want a professional haircut, but without the usual Newbury Street prices? Salon Mario Russo and Vidal Sassoon Salon offer discounted haircuts at their Newbury Street locations during training nights, where newly-hired stylists practice new styles and techniques. At Salon Mario Russo, you can get a haircut for $25, while at Vidal Sassoon, haircuts done by newly-hired stylists cost $16. Or sign up online for Umi Salon, where “model call” haircuts by stylists-in-training are free.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:51 AM

more salon... Voted Best of Boston "Best Haircut $50 and Under"

Voted Best of Boston "Best Haircut $50 and Under"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston