Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM

728 posts, read 974,409 times

Advertisements

If you want to live in an urban area with superior transit options, it has to go to Central Cambridge. The JP area mentioned would be a more difficult commute and more of a young family area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 05:17 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightLights9 View Post
I live in JP and I find it extremely boring. It wasn't my first choice to live there, but the apartment I'd been in for years got bought by a developer and I had 30 days to find an apartment for September first, meaning that I looked at dozens of overpriced, dirty, vermin-infested tenements and settled on JP because it was the only place that I could find a clean, well-maintained apartment in my price range. The only reason I stay is that I still haven't found a better deal elsewhere, so I take the good with the bad. JP is out of the way for a lot of people, so it'll be a cold day in hell when anyone not living in JP says "Hey, let's go out in JP!" I don't have any friends in the neighborhood, so I spend a fortune on cab money because I only go out in the city. You get more for your money in JP, but Central Square is much more vibrant. JP feels like the suburbs with city hassles.
I notice, other than people walking around the pond and arboretum, not many people walking around JP or West Roxbury compared to Cambridgeport. Cambridge has much more open at night. Also it seems most of the business districts are spread out from one another and all are distant from many parts of JP. Many of the businesses are around Amory, Green and near the Hyde Park edge of Forest Hills, that many on these boards seem to imply are fringe areas or unsafe.

I always feel safer walking around urban areas where there are more people walking around at night, more businesses open at night. Cambridge has this.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:22 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
JP people keep to JP. It's pretty cool, but if you're friends are in Central, Allston, Davis Sq, Porter etc you can forget about seeing them.

I found dating someone in JP from this side of the river just to be too big a pain ITA.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
JP people keep to JP. It's pretty cool, but if you're friends are in Central, Allston, Davis Sq, Porter etc you can forget about seeing them.

I found dating someone in JP from this side of the river just to be too big a pain ITA.
So there you have it OP, if you want to date a Harvard man, MIT man or Timberline (unless he is busy going to alt-thrash concerts) live in Cambridge.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
So there you have it OP, if you want to date a Harvard man, MIT man or Timberline (unless he is busy going to alt-thrash concerts) live in Cambridge.
lol

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Ha, oh god now, I can't deal with dating 30 something women, never mind people in their 20s.

It is odd, I guess it is how the T is structured, how polarized JP/Roslindale is from Allston/Cambridge/Somerville... it is really a pain to get back and forth.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post

Classic response! LOL!!!!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:50 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,872 times
Central Square all the way! I don't think there's even a contest. Better nightlife (comedy clubs, bars, live music), restaurants, vibrancy, and it's directly on the T line with funky eclectic edge. One of my favourite spots in the greater Boston area. It's really the only spot that somewhat reminds of parts of NYC.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:31 PM

728 posts, read 974,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Central Square all the way! I don't think there's even a contest. Better nightlife (comedy clubs, bars, live music), restaurants, vibrancy, and it's directly on the T line with funky eclectic edge. One of my favourite spots in the greater Boston area. It's really the only spot that somewhat reminds of parts of NYC.
For a significant number of people under 35, I'd say Cambridge (overall as a city) is the best place in Eastern MA.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 PM

75 posts, read 123,720 times
Central Square gets my vote.

Save JP for your 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston