Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM

28 posts, read 135,266 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!,

I am a 22 year old paralegal. I am considering moving to the Boston area sometime in the near future.
I currently live in San Diego, California. I was wondering if you could help give me a sense of the job opportunities in Boston.

I have 2 years experience with a civil litigation plaintiff firm, specializing in medical malpractice and personal injury. Of these 2 years working as a paralegal, most of it has been a lot of very "hands-on" litigation assistance.

The problem is, I have very little college education. I am a bright young woman, but I don't have a college degree and I get the sense that Boston holds education in high regard. However, given my experience, do you think a Boston law firm would hire me with experience instead of a college degree? The law firm I work at now is small, but with many cases and a lot of activity. This allowed me to learn a lot in such a small period of time.

If I do move to Boston, it will be in about 2 years. So what are the chances of getting a job in Boston metro, given the following:

-no college degree
-4 years experience with civil litigation
-24 years old

Also, it seems as if corporate law paralegals make a bit more money than the other types. Is it realistic that I would be able to obtain an entry level corporate paralegal position, starting at around...$40,000?
I currently make $28,000 a year (before taxes)

One more thing...Is it best to find an apartment first in Boston or land the job first?
Do Boston employment agencies actually lead to good jobs? I've always had luck with the employment agencies here in San Diego.

Well, thank you for taking the time to read this.
-Monica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
There is a lot of law business in Boston (Boston Legal, Ally McBeal...). I doubt there is as much corporate law here as say Houston or Dallas. Boston is academic heavy, so there is a lot of constitutional law, social law, research and institutional stuff. No doubt there is money to be made here, but I couldn't say how much. You might want to solicit your resume or try to make some contacts before diving in.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 PM

yeah I was thinking of going through an employment agency, or somehow establishing contacts in the business, prior to moving there.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:01 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicad View Post
yeah I was thinking of going through an employment agency, or somehow establishing contacts in the business, prior to moving there.
Smart idea Monica. The way things usually happen in Boston is like this. You come to town, live in a shoebox apartment, make some connections, start out at the bottom, earn you stripes, then move up.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:22 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
Monica,
You should be alright. I have a friend who is a paralegal and she started out at around 40k. I would recommend having a an AA degree in paralegal studies though. As I always recommend for anyone, have a job lined up before you make the move. Cost of living in Boston is probably on par with that of San Diego.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 39,716 times
Monica,

The previous responders are trying to be helpful, but you really need to be talking to lawyers and other paralegals and legal assistants.

Boston is a major center of corporate law, much more so than San Diego, but do not expect many opportunities without at least an AA and preferably a B.S. or B.A. The documents and legal concepts are much more complex than in p.i. law; so education counts.

Here's one place to start: Counsel.Net - PARALEGALS CHATBOARD - This forum is dedicated to paralegals and legal secretaries everywhere. Paralegals should feel free to discuss all topics related to the practice of law, or just network with your fellow legal professionals across .

Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Lurking View Post
Monica,

The previous responders are trying to be helpful, but you really need to be talking to lawyers and other paralegals and legal assistants.

Boston is a major center of corporate law, much more so than San Diego, but do not expect many opportunities without at least an AA and preferably a B.S. or B.A. The documents and legal concepts are much more complex than in p.i. law; so education counts.

Here's one place to start: Counsel.Net - PARALEGALS CHATBOARD - This forum is dedicated to paralegals and legal secretaries everywhere. Paralegals should feel free to discuss all topics related to the practice of law, or just network with your fellow legal professionals across .
Awesome, thanks

Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
You can get an AA dregree and then get certification with being a paralegal. Try to do this now while you are in Ca. That should give you an in. Once you have this and move to Boston many compaines offer to pay for schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: