Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I was under the mistaken impression that most people who lived in Boston, didn't actually live in Boston. Silly me thinking most of us actually live around Boston because we couldn't otherwise afford to live here.
What, you mean the 8 million people in metro Boston don't all live inside the Boston city limits!?!?!?!?!??!

That's amazing!

I'm surprised!

(Less than 650,000 people live inside Boston, i.e. less than 10% of the CSA live inside the major city.
That's the Boston-Worcester-Providence CSA. Lots of people work in Worcester and Providence, but lots of people commute from those places into Boston, and a lot of people commute from the Boston-Cambridge-Newton MSA to Worcester and Providence too. Boston-Cambridge-Newton MSA has about 4.5 million people.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:01 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't believe that for a second. My apartment (1 bedroom is $1100) and I have several friends that have one bedrooms under $1500... and they're perfectly fine. Sure, some wood paneling, and old kitchen tiles or carpeting or whatever but there is nothing really lacking in them. They're good places to live.
One bedroom in Boston or close vicinity for $1100? Where in the world is it, and which evil deity do you need to sell your soul to in order to get it? A quick search on CL filtered for that price range shows the usual Ritz for $500 scams, possibly illegal basement apartments in Revere, and decent-looking apartments in places that would require a $300+ commuter rail pass for getting to and from Boston.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
East Somerville, 8-10 min walk from Sullivan (Union Sq side)

It was 1000 when I first rented it two years ago. I have a couple of friends in my general area (Union Sq) that pay 1300 or less for one bedrooms (nicer than mine), they can be had in Union/Inman, etc if you work hard. Studios for less. Mine has a nice oh, 15 x 18 living room with two windows and a closet, a slightly smaller bedroom with window and closet, and a EIK that can sit two... but is small, with pantry and a full bath (not a shower only).

Found mine on CL, no fee, rented from owner. They're out there.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:59 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
East Somerville, 8-10 min walk from Sullivan (Union Sq side)

It was 1000 when I first rented it two years ago. I have a couple of friends in my general area (Union Sq) that pay 1300 or less for one bedrooms (nicer than mine), they can be had in Union/Inman, etc if you work hard. Studios for less. Mine has a nice oh, 15 x 18 living room with two windows and a closet, a slightly smaller bedroom with window and closet, and a EIK that can sit two... but is small, with pantry and a full bath (not a shower only).

Found mine on CL, no fee, rented from owner. They're out there.
Hardly common. Prices in that area only going up up up up nowadays anyway.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

I never said common, just that they can be found. Yes, finding a decent deal takes legwork and time... and when you see it you have to be willing and able to cut a check right on the spot as it won't likely be there the next day.

If you want to peruse a bunch of places, ponder, windowshop and think about it and weigh hardwood vs gas appliances etc etc you're going to pay more. It's been that way every single city I've lived in.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:29 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,075 times
Quote:
Definitely uncommon, one of my coworkers who lives in the area is paying $1000 for a tiny, run-down studio and considers it a great deal. Even my building in Dorchester which, aside from balconies, is exactly like one of the typical BHA "bricks," has non-basement one bedroom units going for $1400+. Sadly, the days of $1100 one bedroom apartments (i.e. places working class folks making under $40K could afford) are long gone.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I never said common, just that they can be found. Yes, finding a decent deal takes legwork and time... and when you see it you have to be willing and able to cut a check right on the spot as it won't likely be there the next day.

If you want to peruse a bunch of places, ponder, windowshop and think about it and weigh hardwood vs gas appliances etc etc you're going to pay more. It's been that way every single city I've lived in.
Yeah but I'm just saying that banking on the anomaly isn't wise. Chances are, you'll look for a while and still find an overpriced, underwhelming apartment, but you'll just accept it because you don't really have a choice.

My standards for apartments are very low (don't need parking, laundry, living room, dishwasher etc), as I don't spend very much time at home. I just am getting kinda tired of having new roommates every 6 months. My rent now is really cheap by Boston standards, but the trick is to not think about it too much. When you consider what you get for the price of most units, you'll wonder why exactly you still live here, at least for a moment or two.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:59 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosaleeighbb View Post
I am having to move out of boston because rent is too expensive and homes are not affordable. I went to college graduated am working and pay my bills. I took a first time home buyers class and what I'm eligible for mortgage wise will get me a hole in the wall.

What am I supposed to do??? We looked at affordable homes for sale but they are way over my loan approval amount. The closest place where we could buy a home is Lowell. WTF!!!
Many of us, college educated people worked multiple jobs, drove no frills cars and bought dumps for houses in less desirable neighborhoods when starting out.

I'm not sure how old you are but this is the line that recent and upcoming college grads have been fed: Be a good student and you will get a good job and be successful.

Sorry it's BS. A college education is not a golden ticket. You live in a highly educated state where a Bachelor's Degrees are a dime a dozen. The demand for housing exceeds the supply.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah but I'm just saying that banking on the anomaly isn't wise.

I can't say I've banked on it. I've just been flexible with where I move to obtain what fits in the budget. I've moved from far west somerville to east to make it work, but that's fine. If I keep renting (which isn't my plan) I will probably be out in Malden next. That is fine too.

I'm not saying it is easy, just doable. Yes, it is an expensive place to live. I went from living alone in the Midwest on 30k (or less) in an "expensive" city for the region to having roommates for 8 years when I moved back here earning a lot more. That's the way it goes. There is no shortage of people wanting to move here or stay here, that's for certain.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I can't say I've banked on it. I've just been flexible with where I move to obtain what fits in the budget. I've moved from far west somerville to east to make it work, but that's fine. If I keep renting (which isn't my plan) I will probably be out in Malden next. That is fine too.

I'm not saying it is easy, just doable. Yes, it is an expensive place to live. I went from living alone in the Midwest on 30k (or less) in an "expensive" city for the region to having roommates for 8 years when I moved back here earning a lot more. That's the way it goes. There is no shortage of people wanting to move here or stay here, that's for certain.
Agreed, certainly doable. I've been doing it too. However, I think a lot of people, myself included, are seriously asking themselves how much it's worth it to live here, when you start thinking about a little further into the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston