Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:40 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Oooo..... You didn't say your budget was going to be that low....

<<BEST VALUE LEFT FOR A BRIGHTON 1 BD, WALK TO BROOKLINE WHOLE FOODS

That isn't low if you're having roommates. Most everyone in that age range does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
. Personally I think people in these forums poo poo roommates to an unreasonable extent.

Absolutely. It's bizarre. I had roommates for most of my working life, even when I didn't "have" to. It was economically prudent and almost always fine... it's actually good in many ways because you learn to be a little less uptight hopefully and work with people. But there are plenty of people I know in their 40s now that still do roommates so they can save a ton of money and share cooking and expenses.

But in your 20s, roommates are the norm, and quite frankly, it's often a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 AM

157 posts, read 228,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Oooo..... You didn't say your budget was going to be that low....
Quote:
Poor Medford it suffers by comparison to say Arlington, Winchester, Lexington and Belmont income/school wise and Somerville and Cambridge coolness wise. But of course you're looking to teach not looking for the best public school a six figure salary can get your kids into. Medford doesn't have a bad school system, just not as good a one as some nearby towns, that why people on city data don't recommend the schools.

I don't know what your personal situation is, but with a roommate that's workable (not the 2 bedroom house part, that's obviously not a possibility). And hey that might be better for you since you're making a big move. Personally I think people in these forums poo poo roommates to an unreasonable extent.
I should have mentioned that I will anticipate having roommates. And old buddy of mine graduates from MIT the same time I graduate from my Master's program, so we recently connected to discuss the idea of moving in together. He also has a girlfriend which would reduce costs. It didn't take long for me to realize how much rent is up there and that in my situation, having a roommate would be idea. But I'm also a beast at living frugally, so we shall see.

edit: I'm a very tidy person, so if it doesn't work out with my buddy, hopefully there are more like-minded people there than here in Richmond.

I still need to research schools more thoroughly, so if anyone knows of any resources, that would be great. I'm still learning to navigate my way around city-data, so hopefully I'll come across some good info on here. Seeing as I'm new to the field, I want to avoid super high needs (inner cityish) schools, like the ones that appear to be in Allston-Brighton. Currently, though, there are openings in Arlington, Somerville, and Brighton. I'm going to assume Arlington and Somerville are decent school systems, or at least Arlington? And one thing that appealed to me about Medford is its proximity to both Arlington and Somerville if I were to get a job there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
I don't think Somerville High School is very good, maybe not dangerous, though if that's what you want to avoid. Medford might be a little better.

Have you looked into any of the charter schools around that area like Mystic Valley in Malden?

Mystic Valley Regional Charter School

Old 06-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I don't think Somerville High School is very good, maybe not dangerous, though if that's what you want to avoid. Medford might be a little better.

Have you looked into any of the charter schools around that area like Mystic Valley in Malden?

Mystic Valley Regional Charter School
Today I started expanding my search outside the public school realm, so thank you for the link! The dichotomy between those for and against the Boston public schools is amazing; everyone is either completely for or against, at least from what I've read on forums.

I'm learning a great deal about private education up there, which is much different from here, at least in the terminology used to describe it. I attended a private Episcopalian school where you had to test in as part of the admission process. Is that the same idea as an "exam school"? Also much of the staff there didn't necessarily identify as Episcopalian, and I wasn't raised as such. Does that mean the Catholic schools up there accepting of people outside of Catholicism or do they prefer to maintain homogeneity? And if this is better suited in a school thread, let me know and I'll find one for posting.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:08 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Charter schools are still public, you don't have to test in.

I know you don't have to be Catholic to attend their schools, I really don't know about the faculty.

My eldest daughter has a friend who teaches high school at a charter school in Dorchester (section of Boston). He loves it, loves the kids. It's Boston Collegiate:

Boston Collegiate Charter School

The premier exam school in Boston is Boston Latin (my husband graduated from there). Very strong academics.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:36 PM

287 posts, read 1,027,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeaz View Post
Today I started expanding my search outside the public school realm, so thank you for the link! The dichotomy between those for and against the Boston public schools is amazing; everyone is either completely for or against, at least from what I've read on forums.

I'm learning a great deal about private education up there, which is much different from here, at least in the terminology used to describe it. I attended a private Episcopalian school where you had to test in as part of the admission process. Is that the same idea as an "exam school"? Also much of the staff there didn't necessarily identify as Episcopalian, and I wasn't raised as such. Does that mean the Catholic schools up there accepting of people outside of Catholicism or do they prefer to maintain homogeneity? And if this is better suited in a school thread, let me know and I'll find one for posting.
No, exam schools are public schools (like Boston Latin as mentioned also Latin Academy and O'B) that require an entrance exam. The exam is the ISEE though, so it's very possible you took the same test to get in.

Catholic schools don't generally require you to be Catholic to either attend or teach at anywhere I've heard of in the US. They do have RE as part of curriculum. Of course most people who attend or teach there are Catholic. Then again most people in Greater Boston are Catholic period. Arlington High School for example was about 80% Catholic when I went there.

Last edited by wickedripeplum; 06-12-2014 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 AM

It's amazing how much school systems vary from state to state.

Jumping back to cities, though, Jamaica Plain is starting to look attractive, tons of amenities and close to some good schools. A couple of questions:

1. I know it's removed from the likes of Someville/Cambridge, but close to the city. The million dollar question is do both areas have comparable night lives, or would you be sacrificing a lot being closer to one or the other?

2. I know there are lots of families and and a prominent LGBT community. How greatly (if at all) does that hinder the dating scene for a single and straight male in his early 30s?

Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM

287 posts, read 1,027,927 times
My brother (28) lives in JP and I like it a lot (and more importantly so does he). There's certainly plenty of green space with the parks and ponds along the edge, nightlife of the non college variety and access to both green and orange lines. And there's a bus on both Centre St and Heath St for grocery buying convenience. Apartments there can be a bit cramped, but within your price range with roommates. As for dating scene for a straight guy? IDK. Don't try to pick up girls at The Midway Cafe and being a dick to lesbians is a bad way of making friends is all I've got.

And just to be clear because it probably is confusing, JP is in Boston, as is Roxbury. Brookline isn't, but Allston and Brighton are. Which may matter very much to you since (even if it isn't what you're currently looking for) you may in the end want to teach in Boston and I don't know if teachers are one of the unions exempt from Boston residency requirements.

ETA: On further googling, Boston Teachers Union is in fact exempt from residency requirements. How that applies to teachers in charter schools I don't know.

Last edited by wickedripeplum; 06-15-2014 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: really? q*eer is censored? What year is this? 1990? I meant to be more inclusive not pejorative.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
My brother (28) lives in JP and I like it a lot (and more importantly so does he). There's certainly plenty of green space with the parks and ponds along the edge, nightlife of the non college variety and access to both green and orange lines. And there's a bus on both Centre St and Heath St for grocery buying convenience. Apartments there can be a bit cramped, but within your price range with roommates. As for dating scene for a straight guy? IDK. Don't try to pick up girls at The Midway Cafe and being a dick to lesbians is a bad way of making friends is all I've got.

And just to be clear because it probably is confusing, JP is in Boston, as is Roxbury. Brookline isn't, but Allston and Brighton are. Which may matter very much to you since (even if it isn't what you're currently looking for) you may in the end want to teach in Boston and I don't know if teachers are one of the unions exempt from Boston residency requirements.
Is there any advantage or disadvantage of being part of Boston Proper? I would assume cost of living is higher by default, although the apartment price ranges seemed pretty on par with surrounding areas outside of the city.

And I did read up on The Midway Cafe, haha. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be a complete minority like in equivalent neighborhoods such as Philly's "Gayborhood."

Old 06-16-2014, 01:46 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeaz View Post
Is there any advantage or disadvantage of being part of Boston Proper? I would assume cost of living is higher by default, although the apartment price ranges seemed pretty on par with surrounding areas outside of the city.

And I did read up on The Midway Cafe, haha. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be a complete minority like in equivalent neighborhoods such as Philly's "Gayborhood."

Not really, no, and it isn't a safe assumption the city proper will be more expensive. It is all over the place.

Boston doesn't really have a boystown area anymore. The South End used to be the gay neighborhood, and still is in some regards, but the scene (what is left) is very diffuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston