Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:33 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,743 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm from California and am going to be relocating to either Boston or DC in January. One thing that I'm concerned about is driving in snow/icy conditions, because we get little exposure to this out west. How much of a problem is this in Boston? I'd imagine that you all would be better equipped to handle it and the roads aren't as treacherous as other sunbelt cities, but I could be wrong. Is Boston a very dangerous place to drive during winter storms, is it not that big of a deal, or does the city shut down anyway making my interaction limited?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 PM

974 posts, read 1,897,554 times
The city doesn't shut down because of snow - they encourage folks to stay home so the plows can clean the road without people from California spinning wheels going sideways down Beacon Hill.

I'm sure you'll be the person in front of me in a little Honda driving 5 mph in the middle of Boylston St and blocking my way...

Driving safely during a snowstorm is a SKILL that can only be developed by practice. Allwheel or 4 wheel helps, but you need to know how to use it to your advantage.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 AM

19 posts, read 24,079 times
No one can drive on ice unless they have some sort of special tires. Snow isn't that much of a problem.

I try to work at home when there's snow because the traffic is bad and it's good to let the snow plows do their job.

Towns here have large budgets for snow removal, so you can get 8" of snow one day and be back down to black asphalt the next day.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 AM

95 posts, read 269,190 times
What has already been noted here is true. The city doesn't shut down for anything but bigger storms - a few inches and it will probably be a pretty normal day. However, due to snow budgets, and at least some general sense of how to plow and salt/coat the roads, things are rarely dangerous. I find that it actually doesn't ice over all that frequently here on the roads at least - the plowing and salt usually keep that from happening.

Despite these things, if you've never driven in snowy conditions it could indeed be both dangerous and difficult. You can't:
- Drive at full speed
- Slam on your brakes
- Follow other people too closely
- Crank the wheel in the opposite direction if you do start to skid
- Stop while driving up a hill (unless it is absolutely necessary)

So, if you are planning on having a car and are planning on driving around in the snow, I would consider reading up on driving in snowy conditions a bit, and also perhaps to see you can find a nice open parking lot once it does snow to practice some skids, braking, etc. All of the reading in the world can't prepare you in the way that having a feel for your car in the snow will. You don't want the first time you feel the brakes lock up (or rumble as the ABS prevents you from doing so) to be when you are going down Beacon Hill (as then you will indeed be the person spinning their wheels going sideways down the hill that flowbe mentions!). Alternately, you might consider letting the T do your driving for you on those days!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Practice helps.

With me personally, it doesn't bother me. If anything it makes the drive a little more interesting. My commute is roughly 30 miles to work, and i've driven to work in snowstorms enough times that it's kinda peaceful and relaxing when I take the quiet backroads

Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 PM

288 posts, read 634,612 times
I have a cousin from California who likes to go snowboarding in the mountains. He had a business trip in New England during the winter time, and asked the rental car company if he needed chains on his tires. The rental agent laughed pretty hard.

Seriously, you'll be fine.

They treat the roads really well in the cities and suburbs. The only difference is you might drive a little slower and brake sooner. You also have to be aware that the roads look narrower because of unplowed snow near the sidewalks. You might switch to snow tires or buy a Suburu with all wheel drive but I know a lot of people who don't do either. Most New Englanders follow some basic common sense: If the schools are delayed or closed in the town/city you work or live, you just stay home until all the roads are plowed.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:22 AM

374 posts, read 654,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi all,

I'm from California and am going to be relocating to either Boston or DC in January. One thing that I'm concerned about is driving in snow/icy conditions, because we get little exposure to this out west. How much of a problem is this in Boston? I'd imagine that you all would be better equipped to handle it and the roads aren't as treacherous as other sunbelt cities, but I could be wrong. Is Boston a very dangerous place to drive during winter storms, is it not that big of a deal, or does the city shut down anyway making my interaction limited?

Thanks!
I saw a post on a forum that indicated a driver needed 4x drive to handle ice. This is not true. An experienced driver in Massachusetts knows that 4x is not a picnic. We will have ice and snow. People still drive to work.

A lot of Mass drivers know when to respond to feedback and not. It seems as if southern drivers panic and oversteer. There is also the requirement of actually turning the vehicle in the proper way in response to a traction loss due to ice.

Front wheel drive is not even necessary in most parts of Massachusetts.

The biggest difference is that you can not use summer tires. You need to have good all season tires. I prefer Continental.

Bill

Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,634 times
I moved from California to Boston quite a few years ago. I didn't have a whole lot of trouble driving in Boston. After snowstorms, the snowplows come out like a military operation. They put tons of salt on the roads for traction. That's why you don't see the older cars in Mass like you do in California. Cars tend to rust out fairly quickly.

Going to the snow to ski is very different than living in snow going to work everyday! Good luck! We in California really don't understand windchill that well. You will learn what windchill is very shortly. One of the first things that I did was take a trip up to the L.L. Bean store in Freeport, Maine and buy some winter clothing.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:56 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Nothing dangerous about it, drive slower, increase your following distance and don't worry about it. If your bringing your cars with you (which I'd assume) you'll probably want to get some respectable tires put on them but aside from that no big deal.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Around November you install winter snow tires on your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston