Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 15,303 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be moving with my girlfriend to an apartment within Andrew Square in South Boston. I am not from Boston. I'll be moving from NY. Could any of you tell me how the crime is in Andrew Square? My girlfriend and I are very worried about what we've been hearing about the violence here.

Last edited by jackmet12; 08-01-2014 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 05:47 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
If it were just me, and the price was right, I'd take an apt in Adrew Sq. I'm hesitent to say 'don't worry about it' only cause you mention you were moving with your girl. Is she a city girl? Any chance you could mention the street or nearest intersection to the apt?

IMO Andrew isn't that bad. It's not much to look at, and it has it's problems, but there are far worse neighborhoods in the city. There are a couple housing projects near by, and just so happens a body was found in Moakley Park just yesterday. Homicides are rare BTW. On the plus side there is a Redline stop right there, South Bay Plaza is right there, and it's an easy bike ride downtown or to Copley.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:59 AM

974 posts, read 1,881,942 times
If you're worried at this point, you shouldn't move there. You're just setting yourself up for failure/ disappointment/ ongoing anxiety, etc.

Some people aren't city people and you sound like you fall in that category. Move to the 'burbs or stay in NY. A NYC city person would scoff at Andrew as being 'unsafe'.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the information guys. My girlfriend is a city girl. We were born and raised in Queens, in not the nicest area in NYC.

So there isn't much to do in Andrew Square? Any local coffee shops, supermarkets, places to eat etc around there? We'll be moving to Dorchester Ave and Alger Street. I've just heard about the body discovered in Moakley Park. I was going to ask how common homicides were but you've just answered my question.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
I had to Google Alger St, but I know right where you are. I wouldn't worry about it. You've got a number of blocks between you and the projects, and if you've got an ounce of street smarts, which I assume you do, you'll be fine. The only thing I'd say is tell your girl to becareful if she's walking to/from the T station late at night.

Yeah not much happening in Andrew itself. There is a bar called The Connection on Dorchester Ave that's usually full of locals. I think they have the typical awful cover bands in there Saturday nights. There used to be a number of Polish restaurants in Andrew Sq, but not sure how many are left now. And of course a Dunks.

But you're only a 5-10 minute walk to the bars and restaurants on Broadway. There's also a handful bars and resturants on further down Dorchester Ave in Dorchester. Also you're train fair from Downtown Crossing, Cambridge and Somerville. I don't think you'll be bored.

And welcome to the hood.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 AM

288 posts, read 630,940 times
I live in South Boston, and in my opinion, those blocks near your street are quiet and have gotten physically more attractive, especially in the last three years. The people who live there are mostly young professionals and a few older longtime residents. I would be careful about package deliveries or leaving anything of value on a porch or in your yard. My neighbors and I have had stuff stolen from us, sometimes in the most brazen manner. I heard last year, thieves were actively scouting the area for possible things to steal (e.g. scooters, bicycles). Also, I would avoid walking along Dorchester Ave toward Broadway because that section looks industrial and empty. Dorchester Street, on the other side, is getting better looking, but the street itself is still littered with trash, and gets gross during the winter when it snows.

I wouldn't worry about the proximity of the public projects. I grew up in one nearby and still visit it sometimes. Generally, the projects closer toward the Dorchester border are full of kids and retirees. The one closer toward Broadway just got new construction, so that area looks better now.

As for local businesses, there's not much around Andrew Square except for fast food pizza places and Dunkin Donuts. There's some abandoned businesses scattered around and it really makes some streets looks gritty and depressing. Cafe Polonia, a highly rated Polish restaurant, is a neighborhood gem though. I also like Andrew Square Liquor because the proprietors are very friendly and remember regular customers. In South Bay Center, there's a Target, Stop and Shop, Best Buy, Panera Bread, Olive Garden, and more. Though we do shop at South Bay for groceries, my husband and I are more likely to go to Downtown, Copley, or the South End. The #10 bus goes into the South End, which has a wonderful selection of restaurants and shops and a few great theaters.

I've lived almost continuously in South Boston for 30 years, and I do feel safe living on my particular street. But nowadays I hate walking around Andrew Square after dark. I just feel like people aren't as friendly as they used to be, especially compared to other Boston neighborhoods. There's a lot of displacement happening, so there's sometimes open class resentment toward "yuppies" and the newcomers aren't always very discreet about their affluence. There's also a serious heroin problem in South Boston. It feels like the drug activity around Andrew Square is climbing, though lately, I've noticed there have been more transit police patrolling the area. So at least during the day, the station feels safe enough though I would say it the station is much dirtier and dilapidated-looking than it was ten years ago. If you see scruffy white guys loitering around the station or looking high or drunk in the evening, I would stay clear. Normally, I don't worry about my safety because Boston is considered a very safe city. But some of the more disturbing city crimes have happened in South Boston (e.g. grandmother murdered over a fishing pole and drug money, a young woman robbed, kidnapped, and murdered near Broadway). They say violent crime in the city is usually very targeted and related to gangs and drugs. But what was so deeply disturbing about Amy Lord's murder, was that the police failed to prevent it even though the perpetrator had attacked a couple of other women and the police had evidence to arrest him. She was assaulted and kidnapped right in front of her home in a crowded neighborhood. She was alive for a while, going from ATM to ATM and no one was able to stop the robbery. She was obviously targeted for her vulnerability and affluence, and it was so random with so many what-ifs.

So I'm not going to lie to you and say South Boston is safe.

Last edited by sharencare; 08-03-2014 at 01:30 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 02:24 AM

I didn't quite finish my post:

As your neighbor, I honestly think the street you are on is fine. But as a woman, I would not walk alone before 7am or after 9pm. You are safer when you are with other pedestrians, and Andrew Square is generally a very bustling area during business hours.

I would point out that Amy Lord lived near the Broadway section of South Boston, which is considered more desirable and trendier than Andrew Square. So no matter where you live, whether you are in the South End, Jamaica Plain, or Dorchester, you have to exercise caution.

Last edited by sharencare; 08-03-2014 at 02:58 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 09:29 PM

Ah, just got home from Shakespeare on the Park and was puzzled by the Red Line delay about police action at a station. Got off at Andrew Square after 10pm and noticed it was swarming with policemen, police cars, and police tape. I saw a Fox News van. Anyone know what happened? I've never seen so much police tape in my life.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,579,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
Ah, just got home from Shakespeare on the Park and was puzzled by the Red Line delay about police action at a station. Got off at Andrew Square after 10pm and noticed it was swarming with policemen, police cars, and police tape. I saw a Fox News van. Anyone know what happened? I've never seen so much police tape in my life.
Disturbing way to end an evening. Googled this for you.

7 News says multiple people were stabbed on Dorchester Avenue.

Sadly, lots of violence starting up again. Lots in Revere lately too.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks. I drove by the area and passed by those bars. I'll definitely check those out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston