Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,033 times

Advertisements

Wife may be getting a new job at the JFK Library - what's housing like in that area? We have no kids, and probably looking at a combined income of $200K. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,584,490 times
I'd look in Milton, lovely town with period houses, parks and a few mini-downtowns with some decent restaurants and bars, very friendly to newcomers and overall low crime.

There is a trolly that connects directly to the red line in town.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 PM

4,882 posts, read 13,750,571 times
Most of the surrounding area (South Boston and Dorchester) has been in an ongoing rebound from the social disintegration that occurred in the 1970's and '80s. Although - particularly between Savin Hill and Columbia Rd - there are still some houses and "3-deckas" in shabby condition, much renovating (not to mention new construction) has gone on. And by now the gentrification of "Southie" is probably news to no one.

A lot depends on whether the intent is to rent or to own, and what type of home is most desired. Quite a few fully made-over Victorian houses can be had for around half a mil in sections like Jones Hill, Melville Park, and Ashmont. Areas such as Codman Hill and Lower Mills are well supplied with sturdy Colonial-style dwellings from the 1930's to '50s. South Boston contains everything from brick or wooden row houses to 21st-Century "LEED Certified" loft condos, but you'd be hard pressed to find a property with a yard there.

In short, a lot more details are needed before we C-D'ers can offer briefer and more straightforward answers.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Thanks to both of you, 495neighbor and goyguy. Still in the preliminary stage of research. I know Boston housing can be pretty pricey - we'd probably prefer a house or condo over renting, though - which is what we've done in the past. Have lived in NYC for more than 20 years, currently in Huntington, West Virginia in a condo. Just kind of getting a feel for neighborhoods, transportation, etc. Thought I'd start where her job is going to be and work outward in my research. I'm a cyclist, so throw that in the mix, too.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 PM

605 posts, read 1,159,136 times
I'm aiding gentrification with this suggestion, but why not Southie? There condo mark is on turbo right now and it's a great neighborhood, close to downtown but removed, close to Columbia Point and easily accessible by subway, car, or bike (Dorchester waterfront is great for bicycling, running, etc.).

Check out these websites:
Walk Score Boston: Boston Apartments for Rent and Boston Rentals - Walk Score
Curbed Boston: Curbed Boston : The Boston Neighborhoods and Real Estate Blog

Old 08-07-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I'm aiding gentrification with this suggestion, but why not Southie? There condo mark is on turbo right now and it's a great neighborhood, close to downtown but removed, close to Columbia Point and easily accessible by subway, car, or bike (Dorchester waterfront is great for bicycling, running, etc.).

Check out these websites:
Walk Score Boston: Boston Apartments for Rent and Boston Rentals - Walk Score
Curbed Boston: Curbed Boston : The Boston Neighborhoods and Real Estate Blog

Hey, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston