Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,333 times

Advertisements

I agree with the original poster; this is an immature way of behaving by adults. We shoveled out of "our" spot during that snow storm and came home after work and parked wherever there was space. I'm sorry but we all have to shovel our cars out of the spots but I'm not going to cry about it if I can't park it in the same exact space - so I have to drive around the block once - big deal. I understand you can't change people, we can prevent them from vandalizing our cars (unless the city steps up and defends the innocent). I'm just saying to those people who do vandalize cars who park in spaces where they shoveled, grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:16 PM

415 posts, read 1,665,831 times
It all comes down to entitlement. People in Southie think they own the streets, it's absolutely rediculous. This kind of behavior only goes on in a few 'nabes like southie, eastie, somerville, jamaica plain. You would NEVER be able to get away with this in Back Bay, Beacon Hill, or any other neighborhood in the city.

It's the old time "townie" mentality that you can only really find in Boston. Give it a few years though, these people won't be around much longer (rising taxes, cost of living, gentrification, etc..). Believing that you own the street is the ultimate form of self entitlement and it drives me crazy!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
The easiest thing would just be to move somewhere it doesn't snow.
Well that's what I did after 15 years in the hills of central MA (where it snows more than Boston). My real point is that when you choose to live in a place that affords you the benefits of urban living, you also have to put up with some of the down sides. The fact that you have no parking and must park on the street doesn't give you the right to claim the public street as your own.

As I said in my OP, I grew up in Queens NY. We parked on the street. After a storm, you shoveled yourself out, as did everyone else. That meant that most spaces were shoveled, and when you returned, you took another space that someone else cleared, but they might have taken yours. It never dawned on any of us to "claim" a spot as our own just because we had cleared it.

Boston is a great town, but that is some twisted thinking, and vandalizing someone's car because you think you literally own the road is acting like a redneck. I don't care how you justify it, it's wrong and should be stopped, but Menino is so entangled in the neighborhood good old boy politics that it will never happen.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:12 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Well that's what I did after 15 years in the hills of central MA (where it snows more than Boston). My real point is that when you choose to live in a place that affords you the benefits of urban living, you also have to put up with some of the down sides. The fact that you have no parking and must park on the street doesn't give you the right to claim the public street as your own.

As I said in my OP, I grew up in Queens NY. We parked on the street. After a storm, you shoveled yourself out, as did everyone else. That meant that most spaces were shoveled, and when you returned, you took another space that someone else cleared, but they might have taken yours. It never dawned on any of us to "claim" a spot as our own just because we had cleared it.

Boston is a great town, but that is some twisted thinking, and vandalizing someone's car because you think you literally own the road is acting like a redneck. I don't care how you justify it, it's wrong and should be stopped, but Menino is so entangled in the neighborhood good old boy politics that it will never happen.
I agree with you. I was merely joking with my statement. Some people think even though their house or apartment is there and "their" spot where they park most of the time is also belongs to them.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,155 times
Default All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten.

What's Mine is Mine, and What's Yours Is Mine

Old 12-27-2007, 10:29 AM

345 posts, read 1,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

I think the "problem" with your scenario is people "do not" shovel their spots out... so if someone parks in someone else's spot that person has no where to park if other people didn't shovel.... if 100% of people would shovel their spot... no problem or "claiming" a spot would exist.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 AM

Have you tried to find a parking spot? regardless if it is before or after a snow storm...

The assumption here is.. there is enough spots for everyone... I think this is an incorrect assumption...

Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 AM

735 posts, read 3,500,960 times
most of the idiots with their chairs and boxes are not willing to put their fists where their mouths are.

I used to think this unwritten rule was the biggest form of bullying there was when we lived in Somerville.

On plenty of occasions I drive right into a spot and blasted those stupid lawn chairs onto the curb without thinking. Out of doing this for 3 winters, only once did someone come out and attempt to yell at me. When they realized I wouldn't move my car they went in and grumbled away at their miserable life. I made sure to point out that every storm I would dig myself out and never put a lawn chair in the spot.

If everyone got themselves a shovel and dug out their car, then this wouldn't even be an issue.

This type of stupidity is what brings a bad name and feeling to these 'hoods'.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
I think the "problem" with your scenario is people "do not" shovel their spots out... so if someone parks in someone else's spot that person has no where to park if other people didn't shovel.... if 100% of people would shovel their spot... no problem or "claiming" a spot would exist.
Well I agree with you in principle, but the reality of human nature comes into play, and that applies to everything in life. The rest of us just have to keep that in mind and do what we know is right.

What are you going to do when that one lazy homeowner won't cut his grass or leaves his trash out all day in the hot summer sun? Some people just won't follow the rules no matter what you do, although there are legal ways to try and get them to change if you want to bother.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Please note that I'm not defending the people who are holding the spots.... However, Have you guys ever live in Boston with a car but without guarantee parking spot?

Can someone tell me why it took my friend 1 hr to find a resident parking spot in Boston during the summer when he has a resident parking permit?

I think the problem is there are more cars than parking spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston