Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,854 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to the forum and live in Cambridge, Ma with my partner.

We have been having some electrical problems ever since we moved into our new (well, new to us, but the building is OLD) apartment in June. We discovered when we moved in that several outlets throughout the apartment don't work and the power goes out when we run more than two appliances in the kitchen. Sparks flew out of one of the outlets when we tried to plug a microwave in so we requested the landlord get someone to fix it. He did not respond.

I had the apartment inspected by the city and the landlord had to make numerous electrical upgrades.

The landlord hired someone to do repairs but we still don't have totally functioning outlets. I followed up with the Inspectional Services Department and it turns out the landlord didn't even obtain permits before doing work. I'm not even sure if the electrician had a license or not! I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

What should we do? It was hard enough to find an apartment but it seems like a fire hazard! I'm wondering if it would be possible to break a lease under these circumstances? My girlfriend also mentioned withholding rent until work gets done but I don't know if that is the best way to deal with this?

& does anyone know what happens when landlords who violate codes and do work without permits?

Last edited by Annika77; 08-29-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 AM

546 posts, read 1,368,873 times
As for withholding rent, you would be wise to put it in a some sort of escrow account and get solid legal advice. Your landlord may be glad to have you go, or fight you on that one. Be prepared.

Some work can be started without a permit and there is a time frame of which a tradesperson can obtain one. Not sure of the time frames. Patience may be a good ally if you like the place and want to continue living there. Check with the same department you called about the violations to see about the fines that may be leveed

Old 08-30-2014, 03:41 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
Status of electricians' license can be easily checked on the Massachusetts state website Corporate section for professional licensing. You must know the name of the company or the electrician.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:05 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,398,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annika77 View Post
The landlord hired someone to do repairs but we still don't have totally functioning outlets. I followed up with the Inspectional Services Department and it turns out the landlord didn't even obtain permits before doing work. I'm not even sure if the electrician had a license or not! I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.
I wouldn't be surprised either because you don't need to pull a permit to simply repair a receptacle. Most repairs to existing electrical do NOT require a permit. You need to call your LL back and have the get it fixed correctly. Stop wasting your time playing code police and stay on the actual issue.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised either because you don't need to pull a permit to simply repair a receptacle. Most repairs to existing electrical do NOT require a permit. You need to call your LL back and have the get it fixed correctly. Stop wasting your time playing code police and stay on the actual issue.
That's why I had to resort to calling the city in the first place -- the landlord ignored our requests multiple times! Further, the work that had to be done required permits. The electrician that came by didn't fix things properly and we still have electrical problems. So I called the city again and the inspector determined it hadn't been done correctly and we still have a ton of broken outlets. It's ridiculous and doesn't seem safe. True, sparks no longer come out of one of the kitchen outlets, but they should have to fix all of the outlets and the amperage problems.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:18 PM

974 posts, read 1,883,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annika77 View Post
That's why I had to resort to calling the city in the first place -- the landlord ignored our requests multiple times! Further, the work that had to be done required permits. The electrician that came by didn't fix things properly and we still have electrical problems. So I called the city again and the inspector determined it hadn't been done correctly and we still have a ton of broken outlets. It's ridiculous and doesn't seem safe. True, sparks no longer come out of one of the kitchen outlets, but they should have to fix all of the outlets and the amperage problems.
Amperage is a different issue than not working outlets. Many homes in Boston and Cambridge cannot handle modern life: multiple ACs, microwaves, hairdryers, ceramic heaters, etc.

You sound like a person bent on reading "the law" to people. If you take a gander here http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/regs/105cmr410.rtf

You will see only two outlets are required in the kitchen. There is nothing about ensuring your flat screen tv, microwave and AC can co-habitat in wattage bliss - only what is deemed reasonable.

You don't sound happy.Whatever is happening between you and the LL will only deteriorate. Begin looking now for a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston