Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM

40 posts, read 75,860 times

Advertisements

Seems like Chinatown is treading water as it is being drowned by title waves of hi rise development on all sides. That being said where do these NEW residents shop for basic needs? I know there is a Whole Foods being built in the old Herald Building but is that pretty much it and isn't complete? Seems like it's a godsend for these people forking an arm and a leg to live in and near Downtown Boston. The restaurants there seems pretty touristy and not the best IMO. I rather go into cambridge/somerville area (granted I have no clue where most of the hot restaurants are in Boston and figure they are just scattered about). I guess residents can buy food in Chinatown and the asian grocery stores but that can get old quick. What about organic foods, coffee(not starbucks or dd), good restaurants (non chain), etc. There are no big box shopping stores for essentials besides a CVS. Is this area in dire need of more grocery stores, cafes, restaurants, exercise places for residents that aren't Chinese or tourists? I saw a new sushi restaurant ENSO on the corner of Kneeland and Tyler which is now CLOSED. Seems like it was too big too soon and a combo of terrible service. Is this area prime for more of these places or is the lack of store fronts, Tufts taking over a majority of the area and Chinatown keeping these places at bay around the outskirts. I feel bad for Tufts students seems like they don't have places to hang out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 17,105 times
I think Chinatown needs Chinese grocery stores, Chinese restaurants, Chinese bakeries, etc., otherwise it isn't exactly Chinatown anymore. Live there and want to shop at a supermarket? Use Peapod, or take the subway to the Star Market at Copley Square (1-2 stops away on the Orangle line). Tired of Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean/Japanese food? Go walk to the North End (or take the orange line), its pretty close. Or walk to any other part of the city for other types of food. There are tons of clubs/bars/etc in walking distance from Tufts/Chinatown, I really don't see your point. The entire idea of living in or around Downtown is convenience to everywhere. Don't change Chinatown any more than it already has been, if people don't like it, they should live elsewhere. Even the North End which is Italian in only the store fronts now has at least kept their restaurants, bakeries, etc.

I mean, I guess it just sounds like you are expecting suburban/neighborhood life in the middle of not only Downtown, but Chinatown which is an ethnic enclave (which does, BTW, have 3 super markets). I think it kind of goes against the entire idea of living downtown - how many large big box stores do you find around Manhattan in residential areas?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
I agree that Chinatown is uber convenient if you work downtown in the city and so I would agree that is can be up and coming. But if you really want something, walk and go get it. Or take the T for a couple of stops. It's not that hard. That's what downtown living is like unless you pay up to have everything gentrified and right outside your doorstep. As time goes on and if enough residents create the demand, I'm sure there will eventually be a bigger non-Asian grocery stores to suit your needs. But right now, it is Chinatown! So of course, the immediate amenities will be more Asian-focused and things take time to adjust.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Roche Brothers is moving into the Millenium Tower (former Filenes). That's pretty darn close to Chinatown.

Roche Brothers Will Move Into Millennium Tower Site in Downtown Boston

Old 09-02-2014, 11:38 AM

Well I appreciate these honest answers White White Guy. Are you white or Chinese with a sense of humor? I'm originally from Boston and grew up frequenting Chinatown with my parents and grandparents pretty much every weekend. BTW I'm a "Juk Sing" but unlike the meaning of the word I actually enjoy my culture. I agree if you aren't a lazy you should walk out the door and get everything else in other neighborhoods. But to be honest gentrification is here to stay and growing and the real question is where are these people going to shop? I'm not all for gentrification I live in Brooklyn of all places and I was gentrified out of Astoria Queens of all places. They are trying their best in Flatbush but it's taking some time, the new condos are slowly springing up as well as the farm to table restaurants and gourmet coffee shops catering to new mom's and tattooed 30 something's riding their fake one gear bikes. But I digress. These rents around Boston Chinatown are in the few grand a month. I'm sure all these big box stores (Whole Foods) were just waiting for the right time and the influx of development for cash money residents to appear to land a flagship store next to the Mass Pike of all places. I say of all places because if I was rich and lived in one of those developments I suppose I'd just walk to the T and order stuff right? People want convenience and they'll spend the money. Sad to say but it's true. You know how many Whole Foods, Targets started popping up in New York? Manhattan is now full of Starbucks, Whole Foods and Pret a Mange Trust me I have a NYer wife she hates what it has become and I don't hear the end of it. So back to Boston, Chinatown. Here is what i feel and see. Chinatown doesn't want to become gentrified, but people are moving out to Malden and Quincey. Manhattan Chinatown has the advantage of economy of scale I suppose. Lots and lots and lots of Chinese people compared to Boston Chinatown being a mere few square blocks. It's a David vs Goliath situation and we don't have a well aimed sling shot. I don't even think Boston is doing anything to preserve Chinatown. All I see is a mandate to build low income units which most residents of Chinatown can't even afford. So what is the solution? I've seen protests by a non profit to raise awareness and only one solution presented where these new buildings hire Chinatown residents to provide jobs. But how many are bilingual and want to relate with, I'm going to say this, white people. God I can't believe I'm writing this. I see a survivalist, us vs them, secessionist attitude which I can't blame them for. I've seen an apt in Chinatown going for 2600 a month. Chinese landlord too if I'm not mistaken and personally that is a survivalist way to play the game I suppose. But I don't necessarily agree with it. The community is small and I don't want to see it disappear but what can be done? Chinatown can still be chinatown but I haven't seen too many new joints open up. Not many are even on the level of leveraging the influx of people moving into the surrounding neighborhoods and current trends besides what Gourmet Dumpling house or the new Kung Fu Tea? I always go back to NYC because no matter what you'll see a mixture of cultures in any "ethnic" neighborhoods and when I step into Boston CHinatown it's a somewhat of a segregation ghost town. Also the whole suburban lifestyle doesn't necessarily make sense as you'd have to drive everywhere and nothing conveniently next door. In Manhattan we have markets all over the place and occasional big stores like container store, best buy, Target in BK and Bronx, WHole foods just opened in BK Gowanus besides the 3 in Manhattan Downtown, Union Square, and upper 50s. I mean it's NYC and you got everything outside even with the outlying boroughs. Suburbs are just droves of houses where you need a car to get to places. So what is Boston Chinatown going to do? Why are there no new places opening up that isn't the standard fare I've seen since the 80s growing up. Why are there no new trends and entrepreneurial ventures from Young Chinese residents. Are landlords unwilling to rent? Are prices too high for new ventures, are the young Chinese moving out to greener pastures. I'm not seeing adaptation but just surviving and that worries me for the longevity of Chinatown in Boston.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Don't get me wrong BakGwailo. I agree with you on all your points. But things change and we have to adapt and take advantage of what seems to be the crap situation presented. Can Chinatown mobilize to figure something out to preserve the neighborhood and keep it alive and thriving while living in a constantly changing city. I was in San Fran Chinatown and it just felt like a terrible terrible watered down tourist trap. The food was not good either.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Before the Chinese moved in, the neighborhood was Jewish. Before that it was Irish. 50 years from now, it will be something else. Neighborhood demographics change with each passing generation.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:38 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Before the Chinese moved in, the neighborhood was Jewish. Before that it was Irish. 50 years from now, it will be something else. Neighborhood demographics change with each passing generation.
That's the reason why I've appreciated the fact that the North End is almost never refferred to as "Little Italy", it leaves the door open for the demographics in that neighborhood to change with time.

On the flip side what will we call Chinatown when the Chinese move out? The Garment District? Ladder District? An extension of Downtown Crossing? Would the Orange Line stop be renamed?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
On the flip side what will we call Chinatown when the Chinese move out? The Garment District? Ladder District? An extension of Downtown Crossing?
I guess that would depend who moved in. Trust-fund-baby-town?

Quote:
Would the Orange Line stop be renamed?
I'm sure it could be renamed. The Scallay Sq stop became Government Center.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM

From Wikipedia

"As early as the 1950s, city officials had been mulling plans to completely tear down and redevelop the Scollay Square area, in order to remove lower-income residents and troubled businesses from the aging and seedy district. Attempts to reopen the sullied Old Howard by its old performers had been one of the last efforts against redevelopment; but with the theater gutted by fire, a city wrecking ball began the project of demolishing over 1000 buildings in the area; 20,000 residents were displaced."

Seems like History Repeats itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston