Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Yeah, a horror, only worse than NYC and DC really (maybe Chicago, debate-ably) in all the U.S. Really horrible.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, a horror, only worse than NYC and DC really (maybe Chicago, debate-ably) in all the U.S. Really horrible.
We get it. You love the MBTA. Saying that only NYC and DC have better mass transit systems doesn't make up for the fact that the T is seriously deficient.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-23-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

Public transit is a horror here and its almost mandatory for "nights out" unless one wants to spend $100 on taxis to shuttle to and fro a ****ty bar.
Have you tried Uber? It's not really a long-term solution I guess, but it's cheaper than a taxi, and they're always offering discounts and up to $30 free when you sign up and/or refer a friend. I've used it about 5 times now and have only spent a total of $12.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
We get it. You love the MBTA. Saying that only NYC and DC have better mass transit systems doesn't make up for the fact that the T is seriously deficient.

It could be better, yes. But where else is that much better? I prefer it (slightly) to Chicagos. It is miles ahead of San Francisco. LA?

Where is better outside of DC and NYC? One our Nation's capitol with a pretty new system and one with one of the largest cities in the world. Boston is a very modest size city with one of the best public transits in the country. We're incredibly fortunate. We could have Dallas or Houston's public transit (good luck!) or Miami or Atlanta's (LOL)... all larger metro areas with crappier public transit.

I'm on the orange line now, I used to be on red, but now I've been going to work for 3+ years and had exactly ONE issue trying to get to work (train breakdown) and one bad issue trying to get home (horribly timed snowstorm) in three years. I don't have a car and I bike or T everywhere and it suits all social needs for going out and seeing bands or drinking that I have. What is there that is deficient?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It could be better, yes. But where else is that much better? I prefer it (slightly) to Chicagos. It is miles ahead of San Francisco. LA?

Where is better outside of DC and NYC? One our Nation's capitol with a pretty new system and one with one of the largest cities in the world. Boston is a very modest size city with one of the best public transits in the country. We're incredibly fortunate. We could have Dallas or Houston's public transit (good luck!) or Miami or Atlanta's (LOL)... all larger metro areas with crappier public transit.

I'm on the orange line now, I used to be on red, but now I've been going to work for 3+ years and had exactly ONE issue trying to get to work (train breakdown) and one bad issue trying to get home (horribly timed snowstorm) in three years. I don't have a car and I bike or T everywhere and it suits all social needs for going out and seeing bands or drinking that I have. What is there that is deficient?
lol. Two issues in 3 years? Who do you think you're fooling? There are moderate to severe delays every day in various parts of the system. Getting from Harvard square to South Station routinely takes 30+ minutes during rush hour. Commuter rail rarely runs on schedule but they only consider a train delayed if it's more than 15 minutes late.

They couldn't even issue a properly functioning commuter rail pass to 30,000 people this month.

You sound like you're on the T's payroll.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Yes, two issues in three years, both times I worked around, as there was a duplicate bus going near downtown crossing from my train station, I'm right near Sullivan Station. Orange line, not red. Though I do take red for social stuff frequently and used to take it from Davis into work at Central or Downtown Crossing at different times. Super efficient. We're lucky not to be like San Franciso where we'd have to rely on buses for that. All for $75 unlimited a month. Huge bargain.

Commuter Rail is a separate system. That is just a bonus system, really for people in the far suburbs.

No, I'm not on the T's payroll, or associated, nor have I ever been associated or on the payroll.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 PM

596 posts, read 818,771 times
Even DC with its nice system has detriments--the largest being that trains run about every 20 minutes on Saturday and Sunday. My friends who live there say you really can't rely on the metro if you want to leave your neighborhood on the weekend. Also, the way they price their fares is really complicated--on peak, off peak, determined by on and off location.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Nothing wrong with that. I know plenty of females in their mid-20s who are tired of the city and have purchased townhomes in the suburbs (Natick, Acton, Norwood, Canton). You've matured, that's all.
Agreed, I'm 26 and many of my friends have headed for the hills so to speak. All of them are very happy.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I'm from Brookline/Coolidge Corner, spent 5 years in Miami, and traveled the South East (Georgia, Carolinas) extensively.

Now I'm living in Brighton and I find myself not going into the city. I'm only 25 and I feel old with this type of mentality! Its like I don't even live in Boston because I do everything in Brighton, Newton, Brookline, Natick, etc.

I used to love going down to Newbury and the Public Garden and walking around but now I'm growing tired of it.

Walking on Newbury is almost a hassle. People everywhere it feels too crowded! Going to the Pru is a nightmare because its also always crowded and to be frank I find it stressful.

The Public Garden is still nice but its not worth the trip alone. The restaurants I have been to so far suck, service sucks and the food sucks. Its way too expensive in Back Bay and the food has not been worth it to justify the cost.

The nightlife blows and is dominated by 19 year olds. I rather spend a night in or at friend's house.

Going to Chinatown! Forget it. It is dirty, unappealing, and a maze. I don't like downtown crossing and don't like going to that area.

Bottom line is everything is way to crowded, restaurants and nightlife blow and have premium pricing, and getting there is a hassle (green line sucks and is always crowded and driving is a pain in the ass).

I have a better time in the suburbs out here. I rather go to Brookline or Chestnut Hill and that is pretty suburban. The thing is, I sound like a snob and I'm not I just prefer cities that are more easy to get around, good restaurants and food, infrastructure can handle the population, etc.

Once the novelty of Boston wheres off its just too crowded and too annoying to get around with nothing special to offer besides history and education.
Eh, you're probably like one of the millions of people who have moved a few years beyond the college age crowd and are leaning more towards suburban life. If you decide to have a family, you'll probably lean even more towards the suburbs.

I don't know if I'd say you've "outgrown" it. There are hundreds of thousands of people well above their 20s that live in and enjoy living in the city. I still adore a lot of the things you dislike. I'm 28. I like Boston's nightlife. I think there are plenty of places to grab a good beer and some good food. I think prices are steep, but name a major city where they aren't. I think there are plenty of restaurants in my price range (low and mid level restaurants) that are outstanding. Like Timberline mentioned, not on par with San Francisco or New York (I also put Chicago ahead, but it's highly subjective), but still very good. I like the crowds (though I never really shopped much on Newbury to begin with) and find them to be more entertaining than a hassle. Chinatown's grittiness and crooked streets are one of my favorite parts about downtown Boston. It's one of the few remaining "dirty" places in central Boston. DTX is evolving right before our eyes and it's hard to walk through and not be excited about the changes taking place there.

At the end of the day, you were probably more of the "I enjoy the city because I'm young!" type of person than a genuine "I love living in the city!" person. As you've moved past the college years, the things that attracted you to the city in the first place have started to lose their appeal. Almost everything you said could apply to any city in the U.S. (crowds, dirty, cost, etc.). For me, I've found the city more appealing as I've gotten older. I don't mind the college crowd because at 28 I'm a ways removed from it. There's a lot here for young professionals and I love the energy and activity as well as the walkability, architecture, nuttiness of the crowds, etc. Different strokes. You're ready to move on and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Newton, Brookline, Waltham, etc. are all outstanding places to be as well.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Eh, you're probably like one of the millions of people who have moved a few years beyond the college age crowd and are leaning more towards suburban life. If you decide to have a family, you'll probably lean even more towards the suburbs.

I don't know if I'd say you've "outgrown" it. There are hundreds of thousands of people well above their 20s that live in and enjoy living in the city. I still adore a lot of the things you dislike. I'm 28. I like Boston's nightlife. I think there are plenty of places to grab a good beer and some good food. I think prices are steep, but name a major city where they aren't. I think there are plenty of restaurants in my price range (low and mid level restaurants) that are outstanding. Like Timberline mentioned, not on par with San Francisco or New York (I also put Chicago ahead, but it's highly subjective), but still very good. I like the crowds (though I never really shopped much on Newbury to begin with) and find them to be more entertaining than a hassle. Chinatown's grittiness and crooked streets are one of my favorite parts about downtown Boston. It's one of the few remaining "dirty" places in central Boston. DTX is evolving right before our eyes and it's hard to walk through and not be excited about the changes taking place there.

At the end of the day, you were probably more of the "I enjoy the city because I'm young!" type of person than a genuine "I love living in the city!" person. As you've moved past the college years, the things that attracted you to the city in the first place have started to lose their appeal. Almost everything you said could apply to any city in the U.S. (crowds, dirty, cost, etc.). For me, I've found the city more appealing as I've gotten older. I don't mind the college crowd because at 28 I'm a ways removed from it. There's a lot here for young professionals and I love the energy and activity as well as the walkability, architecture, nuttiness of the crowds, etc. Different strokes. You're ready to move on and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Newton, Brookline, Waltham, etc. are all outstanding places to be as well.

Exactly. Eh, the more I think of it, I think I enjoyed Chicago's low end better than Boston's low end, and the high end food is definitely better than Boston's higher end (Craigie (etc), really?), but the middle is a wash for me. SF was next level food wise, just a step up across the board.

I'm an outdoorsy person, I'm out of the city most every chance I get, but I still prefer living in a city. There is more action. Personally, I'm going to be moving to Worcester for work issues, but I love that there is still some edginess and grit there, which is rare now in Boston.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-23-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston