Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,002 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Thanks for all the help. I am still looking for a place to stay but it's no big deal since I have a place in the suburbs until I can find something. I am shooting for a December 1st move in now though something could pop last minute. Here are my experiences thus far.

Jamaica Plain- JP is expensive as many have indicated. I have spent most of my time looking here. I still might find something reasonable if I can find a shared house with three or more housemates. The problem is that any house with a spare room gets deluged with communications from potential new housemates so competition is stiff.

Roxbury- I found a spacious room in a nice house with off street parking. I certainly would get more there but the price differential still wasn't enough to make me want it.

South End- This would be the ideal place for me. It is located directly between work an play. The problem is that the prices are very high. I will keep looking in case something good comes up.

Other Ideas

Roslindale- I like the area and it is cheaper than JP but farther out.

Allston- It is comparatively cheap and I could take the 66 to Dudley.

Places I Haven't Looked but Still May

Dorchester- The problem I see is that the rougher parts of Dorchester seem to lie between the nicer parts and where I'll be commuting to. This poses a problem if I want to take public transit.

Mission Hill- It's on my to visit list.

Thanks Everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 09:07 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,220 times
Honestly, if I were you, I would take Allston off the list. The 66 bus is *slow*, and I don't think there is a time of day when it isn't full. The commute is quite long, as well, especially during rush hour. I've literally walked faster than the 66 in Brookline. It's like the 1 bus where you take it only if you absolutely have to or you live over a 10 minute walk from the T.

That and Allston is a Student Village thanks to Boston Univ., Boston College, and some Northeastern students. Why live around that if you can help it?

Roslindale wouldn't be that bad, but it would take you two buses to get to work (bus to Forest Hills + 42 bus to Dudley).

Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 11,876 times
You should check Apartments for rent in Williams street located between Dudley and South End. It's very quite street behind Tropical Foods Supermarket. You can walk to work from there. It's also very easy to get around the city by bus or walking.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,002 times
Default Success!

Hello All,

I found a room in a shared house in JP. It looks good: great house, nice neighborhood, and under $900 a month including utilities.

Some thoughts on house/ apartment hunting in the area.

1) It is a lot of work if you want to pay below the average crazy Boston rents. I had the advantage of being able to dedicating many hours to Craigslist and a few weekends at showings.

2) If you are searching Craigslist, check off "Posted Today" and search it a few times a day. Leads go cold surprisingly quickly.

3) Look at places even if you aren't entirely sure about them. By the time I found where I will be moving to, I had already explored the neighborhood enough to get an feel for it.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice.

-BostonBound14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston