U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 8,676 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Your help is super appreciated.

I am new to the forum and to Boston I will be relocating to Boston due to work at the beginning of January. I do not know the city at all. Will be working in Downtown area. My car comes with. So I am looking to rent a studio or a master bedroom around the area of work (pref furnished), not more then $900 util included. I can do 30-40 min commute (currently work in DC and commute from MD about an hour one way every day). Honestly dont care if it's going to be metro or driving (but read some horrible stories about driving in Boston...hey, after DC traffic nothing is scary). So the place has to be safe but does not have to be right in downtown. I realllyyyy need some help as of what areas to avoid and what areas are OK. And where to look (besides craigslist). Any great leads would be appreciated! I am in my late 20's, employed(obviously), no pets, no kids I think I may fly in before Christmas to look at the places and sign the paperwork...any particular complexes you'd suggest to check out?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 03:19 PM

4,845 posts, read 10,446,322 times
Boston is different from DC in that we don't have many apartment complexes. At least not in your price range - they are usually $1500 and up even in the suburbs that are 1 hour commute into downtown Boston. For your budget you'll be looking at a roommate situation in a 3-bedroom apartment. If you really want your own place, you *might* find a studio within 30 min by train but it will be in an area that's similar to Suitland, MD. Otherwise you'll be looking in NH or RI (90+ min commute). You may want to consider working with a rental agent since you are out of town.

One of my friends just moved to DC from Boston. He heard cost of living was similar, but was perplexed by the ridiculously low rents down there. He found a 2 bedroom in an apartment complex in a safe/close suburb near the metro (red line) for $1800/mo.

Last edited by Parsec; 10-29-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,793,423 times
You need roommate or two. You will also be in competition with many students. Car is tough to park closer to downtown and it might be hassle to own eventually (think digging it out of of snow and ice during the winter).

Areas popular with young people: Cambridge, Somerville, Allston, Brighton, JP, Brookilne, Medford, Watertown, Waltham, Quincy.
If you stay close to Red Line you commute will be easy, but that is also most sought after area.

Do not even think to drive into Boston on a daily basis unless you will have free spot. Huge hassle and expense otherwise.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 AM

8,506 posts, read 7,797,144 times
Don't live in Boston with that budget.
Try Newton, Malden, Arlington etc.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:29 AM

132 posts, read 489,759 times
People have already said as much, but that budget isn't going to work in Boston itself, and driving to work is a bad, bad idea.

For example, the parking lots around where I work in the center of Boston range from 400-500/month, easy. You are not going to find street parking. Seeing as your housing budget is 900, I doubt you want to spend half that on parking alone.

Instead, give us an idea of where/geographic area in Boston you will be working. Once you know that, you can figure out what MBTA lines run near that location, and backtrack out to neighborhoods that run along that train line.

You still may find that you need a roommate situation. $900 is just not a lot around here, and is unlikely to include a parking spot.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:58 AM

thank you guys!

Here is some more info. Likely the parking will be provided by my job.
I will be working right between downtown and Chinatown area. I can live in the house it does not have to be the apartment complex, I would even prefer house better. Roommates are okay as long as there is only one and not a student

Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 AM

555 posts, read 619,045 times
Can I ask you why you think parking will be provided by your job? Did they tell you that?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 AM

4,845 posts, read 10,446,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_girl View Post
thank you guys!

Here is some more info. Likely the parking will be provided by my job.
I will be working right between downtown and Chinatown area. I can live in the house it does not have to be the apartment complex, I would even prefer house better. Roommates are okay as long as there is only one and not a student
Between downtown and Chinatown. So you're looking at anything on the red, green or orange line. You want towns closer to the where these lines terminate to stay within your price range and have a relatively safe area. Since you want to avoid students, I'd cross off the green line. Half the rent for a 2 bedroom in Newton or Brookline is out of your price range. I'd concentrate on Arlington, Quincy, and Malden. Houses/apartments in those towns will offer free parking so you can keep the car to use on the weekends and you can take the train to work during the week.

Regarding parking at your job: Some employers offer discounted parking, but employer-paid parking is *very* rare in the downtown area. Even parking discounted at 50% will still run about $150-250/mo.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:03 PM

321 posts, read 248,048 times
Some employers "provide" parking in that area, but that doesn't mean it is "free". That is rare.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:21 PM

Thanks! Parking is a part of my work package. It's also a part of my package here in DC. monthly parking pass is 300 at least if work doesn't take care of it.However for me it's more important to live in the safe area with relatively easy way of getting to work then fight over parking. I recently started hearing from different people that it is easier to sell your car if you have to live in Boston. Originally I was only planing to keep the car for leisure weekends travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston