Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,999 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

So I'm looking to relocate to the Boston areas from Minneapolis, MN and I'm looking for some advice on salaries and living. I'm getting offered a job making ~$45k w/decent benefits, that is located within the city and wondering if its even worth taking? It's within the field I'm in already and has great growth potential for growth, but it's not much more than what I make in Minneapolis (and that's a decent salary here).

I know I'll more than likely be looking for roommates, and living a little bit out of the core of the city, but what are you thoughts on seeing if it's worth the change or not?

I've lived in MN my whole life and think it would be a great experience to try something new since I'm only 24 and I think the experience will out way the fact that I wont be making much to start out.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 PM

596 posts, read 817,717 times
If you want to leave MN this is a great time to do it. You are unattached (so it seems) and not used to a certain quality of life. Those aren't pauper's wages here--you'll probably want two roommates but I'd say most people your age in Boston are in that situation.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:22 PM

Oh will more than likely be getting some roommates for sure! What do you mean by not used to a certain quality of life?

Old 11-04-2014, 03:03 AM

45 posts, read 59,912 times
Quote:
What do you mean by not used to a certain quality of life?
I can't speak for him...but I'd venture he means you're young, you aren't going to buy a home, you don't have mortgage payments to worry about, you don't have kids, you're probably used to cramped living arrangements with roommates. He's saying basically that you aren't trying to raise a family, save for the future yet. If you were, moving to Boston on 45K would be more difficult due to the cost of living.

Having said that, if as you say, this is a growth industry then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm 24 too and in grad school, I'm jealous of your salary for what it's worth.

It's definitely worth it - I'm completely biased in favor of Boston - but even with that in my mind, you should take the opportunity. You already know how to handle the cold, there's a lot of other transplants and young kids, you'll do fine. Look for 2-3brs in Allston, Brighton, Mission Hill - all on the green line and have large populations of students and potential roommates to help you defray the costs of housing. Cambridge and Somerville are also possibilities, little more expensive but deals can be found esp if roommates are involved and they're on the red line which is a little more reliable and less cramped than the green line.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 AM

596 posts, read 817,717 times
Yes, that's pretty much what I was saying (I'm a woman, though). You're at the age where you can easily adapt and aren't slammed with a lot of bills. It's a good time to make a move.

FWIW, I make about that but I'm also a DINK (dual income no kids).

If there's potential for growth and you want a change of scenery I see no reason not to move.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:24 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
Take it as an adventure, and see where it leads if so inclined. Boston is more expensive than where you coming from, and your salary might not take you as far as MN. But, if you are young and flexible, you will probably figure it out, and do fine. If you are not flexible, and need and want what you need and want, than do your research to figure out if it is worth it you.

Maybe having something from East Coast on your resume is not bad for future, if you decide MA is not for you later on.

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,252 times
You'll be fine on $45k. There are people here who get by on half that.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 AM

9 posts, read 12,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You'll be fine on $45k. There are people here who get by on half that.
Your right, my sister lived in a few places around Boston and made less than half that and got by just fine. Unless you want/need to live right in the city or in some of the really nice areas right around you make more than enough to get by. A big question is how far are you willing to travel and what areas have you looked into?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:31 PM

520 posts, read 775,420 times
I think the most important factor is your expectations.

There is definitely going to be some give and take. If you are ok getting a couple of roommates and living in what will most likely be an older, non-renovated multifamily home in a studenty neighborhood, this could be a good move.

If you are looking for a big/city/dense/urban experience Boston offers all of that with relatively low crime and decent accessibility.

You will find that your average pint of beer and just about everything else will be a little more expensive. Other than housing, most things are a pretty small bump in cost from what you're used to.

The other potential downside I recognize is that Boston isn't the easiest place for a non-student newcomer to meet people. People in and around the city do keep to themselves more so than in midwestern cities. If you make an effort through coworkers, meetup groups or whatever you'll be fine. If you are careful in choosing where you live and finding the right roommates, that can be a good start socially.

If you don't know the area well, I would strongly recommend spending several days or a week in Boston before making a decision. If nothing else, make sure you spend some time here before choosing a place to live. If you stick with Allston, Brighton, Cambridge, Brookline and Somerville, you don't need to worry about much about safety. However, in some parts of Allston you may feel like a senior citizen compared to the predominantly undergrad population.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Thanks all for the insights! So yes, I do know I will more than likely be looking for a roommate, but I will be staying with some distant relatives for a month so that will give me some time to meet some ppl, etc. I was out there for 5 days in May and it seemed like people were relatively nice for the most part. Being only 24, I don't think I will have an issue trying to meet people.

What is Mass transit like? I do have a 2011 car with a nice monthly payment sadly....do you think it would be worth selling it because of the mass transit systems available or try and sell it? I'm so used it just because we kind of need them here. What are you thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston