Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:21 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times

Advertisements

What suburb that you like would be close enough to your Husband's work, but would still allow you to purchase a SFR for under $360,000.

Well if we were going to go outside of Boston we'd be spending more than the 360k because it's a house we'd live in for life. So we would be buying as much as we could afford. We're trying to spend less than we can afford now so we can still save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'If you can afford private school then you wouldn't be looking at $400k houses in Dorchester.'

lol private school is less than buying a house. I went to private school (the school i went to is now 40k a year) and there's always payment plans, plus my parents would help...so thanks very much but you don't always know someone's financial situation. As I"ve said before we can easily AFFORD a house in boston, I am simply bitching about how much it costs for something decent. If I could move to another state I probably would...but hubby loves his job so we're here.
Sounds like you want to buy in Boston so you can have an emotional attachment to your dwelling. Fair enough. That's exactly why I bought a condo then a starter home then a forever home instead of just renting and buying a forever home. When you do that, you have to take responsibility for the risks associated with buying and selling in a volatile market which it sounds like you're willing to do.

So back to the thread topic - why are Boston neighborhoods so segregated? I think only the extremely rich and extremely poor areas are segregated. It's a fact of life - a large percentage of people living in poverty tend to be of a certain race and a large percentage of the "1%" are White. I think everything in between is very diverse and socioeconomic status is based on how hard you're willing to work.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:23 AM

So back to the thread topic - why are Boston neighborhoods so segregated? I think only the extremely rich and extremely poor areas are segregated. It's a fact of life - a large percentage of people living in poverty tend to be of a certain race and a large percentage of the "1%" are White. I think everything in between is very diverse and socioeconomic status is based on how hard you're willing to work.

Roxbury, Mattapan and areas of Dorchester are pretty segregated. Then it seems that there are white area of Dot-Adams Village area comes to mind.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Please use the quote button. It is at the bottom right. It makes reading your posts and the conversation go much smoother.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:44 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
People are so against segregation and where you live but I'm sorry Boston is kind of a segregated city in many way. I guess most places are like this, but it's sad that home values are so highly based on this. Most places that are expensive to live are all white and then the poorer areas people are black or hispanic. People try to act so high and mighty like they are so open and accepting of others, but at the end of day those people preaching that do not want to LIVE near those people they claim to be so accepting of. People complain so much about the price of housing in 'nice' neighborhoods, but they'd never just think to move to a neighborhood that is more affordable because they're too good for that. so they complain and live paycheck to paycheck.

I am astounded by how much homes cost in this area. It seems like a good deal on a house is 400k and this would be in an area like Dorchester or Mattapan. It's really sad.We have friends who bought a house in needham 5 years ago, it's small, ranch style, not much to look at and it's now worth a million dollars. THey bought it for 800k something...and they send their kid to private school even though the public school is one of the best.

It feel like middle class are basically poor in this city...most people i know are house or rent poor. I'm trying to be smart and i'm looking to buy in a not so great neighborhood because i refuse to be suckered into these prices. Am I alone here? What is up with real estate here? i get it that boston is nice, but is it THAT nice?
At the end of the day, people want to live in a safe area with great schools, and white people aren't the only ones willing to pay a premium for it. I don't know how you think these places are all white. Lexington High and Brookline High are 40% non-white. Newton North is 30% non-white. Weston 25%, Wellesley 20%. These schools are some of the best in the state, located in the most affluent areas in the state. Guess what? Not all of these racial minorities are Asian, either, and they're not all school choice or METCO students. Many are black and hispanic whose parents have plenty of $$$ to live there as well. Everyone wants the same thing. It has nothing to do with not wanting to live next to people of a particular race. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 11-15-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-15-2014, 11:15 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
At the end of the day, people want to live in a safe area with great schools, and are willing to p ay a premium for it. I don't know how you think these places are all white. Lexington High and Brookline High are 40% non-white. Newton North is 30% non-white. Weston 25%, Wellesley 20%. These schools are some of the best in the state, located in the most affluent areas in the state. Guess what? Not all of these racial minorities are Asian, either, and they're not all school choice or METCO students. Many are black and hispanic whose parents have plenty of $$$ to live there as well. Everyone wants the same thing. It has nothing to do with not wanting to live next to people of a particular race. It's not rocket science.
But compared to BPS, where most of the students are black and Hispanic minorities, even Brookline High is very white and Asian (75%). Lexington High is 88% white and Asian.

I guess it's a testament to Asian socioeconomic progress within the span of one generation in this country.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:45 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
But compared to BPS, where most of the students are black and Hispanic minorities, even Brookline High is very white and Asian (75%). Lexington High is 88% white and Asian.

I guess it's a testament to Asian socioeconomic progress within the span of one generation in this country.
Yes, because East and South Asians value academic success and meaningful contribution to society. They may have unique cultural traits, but they generally do not blight up their neighborhoods with gangs and drug wars.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:13 PM

not sure if youve included.indians in the asian category but many of.them live in newton, wellesly, weston, wayland, etc these days

Old 11-15-2014, 01:51 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
not sure if youve included.indians in the asian category but many of.them live in newton, wellesly, weston, wayland, etc these days
So you acknowledge that your original statement "Most places that are expensive to live are all white " is false. Correct?

Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
South Asians would capture the Indians etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston