U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 14,837 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
my first post.

I am moving from Montreal to Boston in a month or so.
I will be working in Cambridge area. How much should I plan to spend on rent with a base salary of 62K? I tried to look on the internet, but the ones I can find with the things I'd want are around 12-1400/month range.

I absolutely need 1 bedroom.

Preferences: hardwood floor, spacious, big storage space, big kitchen/bathroom.

I was told to avoid some areas such as roxbury and dolchester.
I found something nice in East Boston/Brighton/Allston/South Boston area. How are the areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM

1,810 posts, read 9,963,102 times
You want your rent less than 30% of your gross salary... 25% if possible.

In additional to rent... you have to pay for utilities like electricity, TV, phone, internet, or even heat... it could easily add another $200-300/month.

You also have to pay 20-30% in taxes (Federal and State), Workers Comp, Unemployment, even FICA.

Also, health insurance, car insurance if you have a car $100/mo, ...

Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM

9 posts, read 51,369 times
You defintley want to stay out of the dorchester, roxbury area. The squares

in Cambridge are good (Harvard, Central, Inman) they are pretty safe and

there is lots to do. I would also avoid Brighton. Allston is an ok place. South

Boston is known for a large Irish community, there is great food there! It

depends on where in East Boston you have found a place. I.E charlestown is great, Chinatown isnt..

Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 PM

Thanks guys.
The place I found in East Boston was near the boston inner harbor.
Bummer, if Brighton is not a good area. There were some places I liked with decent prices.

So, I guess 1200-1400/month is okay to spend on rent? Many places I saw had heat/hot water included. I hope the electricity won't cost me too much.
Medical/dental: 100
phone/internet/TV: 200
Tax: I have a pretty good idea how much I'd pay for this. TOO MUCH!
Car: I'll be car-free for a bit. It'd cost me too much to buy since I don't have any credit history in the US.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 PM

1,810 posts, read 9,963,102 times
I would not discount Brighton... I actually like the part closer to Boston college.

The problem with Brighton may be getting to Cambridge... Depending on where in Brighton and Cambridge, you may have to go into Boston before coming back out to Cambridge using public transportation. Crossing the river using public transporation is not easiest.

check out mbta.com

Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 AM

6,027 posts, read 14,146,306 times
I'd actually avoid Allston and check out Brighton. Allston is just a glorified student ghetto w/ lots of drunk undergrads, bed bugs, and thrift stores (also some problems w/ break ins and vandalism from what I remember)

Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 PM

197 posts, read 222,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I'd actually avoid Allston and check out Brighton. Allston is just a glorified student ghetto w/ lots of drunk undergrads, bed bugs, and thrift stores (also some problems w/ break ins and vandalism from what I remember)
What are you talking about? Brighton is right around the block.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,461,714 times
As someone said, it depends on where you will be working in Cambridge. A couple of thoughts:

I agree with the people who are sticking up for Brighton. Much, if not most, of Brighton is nice and affordable and is not like Allston, which is a dirty student ghetto (though fun if you are young and crazy). There are a couple of bus lines that go from Brighton into Cambridge, but they can be slow and don't always come as often as you'd like. To drive from Brighton to Cambridge, especially anything near Harvard or Central, is not bad at all but it depends if you have parking at the job.

Somerville is right next to Cambridge and some parts of Somerville (near Davis or Porter Squares, Inman Square) are nice and have things to do, while other areas (eastern Somerville) are dodgy.

Watertown and Belmont have some great deals on apartments in the areas along the 71 and 73 bus lines into Harvard Square. I have a friend who lives there and makes it to Harvard in 15 minutes on the bus each morning. Not totally dead there but definitely not as much activity as in the city of Boston or in Cambridge.

In any of these places (Brighton, Somerville, Watertown, Belmont) it is crucial to know exactly where you're looking because some areas are much nicer than others, and access to the right mass transit is crucial if you don't drive to work and if you like to go out in the city. It can be complicated because the area is pretty complex and the transit system not always easy to figure out, but take a close look at the MBTA options when trying to choose.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:21 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,461,714 times
Also, East Boston and South Boston, it totally depends on the exact location. I love South Boston, it has some very beautiful streets. My personal opinion is that the areas closer to the red line (Broadway and Andrew stations) on the west side are a little rougher. The east side of South Boston, City Point, is very nice but a little harder to get to downtown or Cambridge by public transit. Less familiar with East Boston, which has some nice parts and some less nice parts. To get to Cambridge is tough from there since it's across the harbor and only on the Blue Line, which does not even connect with the Red Line to Cambridge. So you're looking at three different trains in the morning, and maybe a bus on top of that if your work is not near the Red Line.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Thank you for the advices
The company is located right by the MIT campus.

I am willing to stay anywhere as long as it's reachable by subways w/n 30 min or so. Of course, it has to be relatively safe at night to walk as well.
Based on the info, I'll try looking into some places.

Keep it coming guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston