Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 12:37 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times

Advertisements

Don't expect strangers to say hi to you or wave with a big smile. But if you strike up a conversation, people are in general friendly. I moved here 10+ yrs ago and in the first month, ram my car into the curb (fell asleep at the wheel) and a stranger stopped, helped change my flat, and made sure I got to a repair shop. That was Incredible.

You will encounter many types of people: busy city people who just want to get from A to B, friendly soccer moms in the suburb, grumpy old folks, warm and helpful Neighbors hopefully,... So pls just come with an open mind. If you are a decent human being them you don't have much to worry about to fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 12:42 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
I'm Chinese and I haven't encountered any racist remarks here. However people do seem to be on the cold side. None of the neighbors asked me where I'm from or what I do. Hard to make friends.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:50 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I'm Chinese and I haven't encountered any racist remarks here. However people do seem to be on the cold side. None of the neighbors asked me where I'm from or what I do. Hard to make friends.
People definitely aren't likely to talk to strangers in Boston, although as others have said, they're often friendly if you talk to them. I remember being out of college, and a southern friend of mine came to visit me in Somerville. We were walking down the street and she said hi to one of my neighbors who was sitting on her porch. I had literally never seen someone do something like that in my life.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:34 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Your coming from SF to Boston. I think your making waaaaay too big of a deal about fitting in. It's a bit bizarre really.

And come on, please. Boston is a major metro. Known as a progressive, smart, liberal place, everyone knows that right? And you are questioning if you would have any issues being Asian! That's bizarre.

I don't understand your concern. I honestly thought this was going to be a thread about how you would tolerate the weather.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:32 AM

7 posts, read 11,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Your coming from SF to Boston. I think your making waaaaay too big of a deal about fitting in. It's a bit bizarre really.

And come on, please. Boston is a major metro. Known as a progressive, smart, liberal place, everyone knows that right? And you are questioning if you would have any issues being Asian! That's bizarre.

I don't understand your concern. I honestly thought this was going to be a thread about how you would tolerate the weather.
Everybody I know knows me as someone with seemingly exaggerated and unearthly concerns and I can't really control that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 12-27-2014, 12:59 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
I moved from S.F. as a native to NYC in mid 90's but spent a good amount of time in Boston. I am mixed race and I never had a problem in Boston based on my hometown. Actually people from the East coast compare Boston to S.F. and I never heard any negative stereotypes about San Fraciscans, in general. Good luck to you. Boston is very pretty city but make sure to layer during the Winter as going from freezing temps outside to heated air inside requires layering.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:22 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
In pockets of towns like Malden or Waltham you may have some resentment most likely a dirty look or two from residual townies who resent the achievements and success of "them foreigners." Most people like that are losers so they won't be the people you will be courting as friends anyway.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:08 AM

503 posts, read 598,283 times
Be prepared to cook at home a lot more. Boston does not have nearly the depth or breadth of ethnic food options as SF.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blut0fu View Post
I've heard that Bostonians view San Franciscans as obnoxious and ingenuine, and that Bostonians are rather cold but genuine people; so I need to learn how to be accepted rather quickly.

I lived in SF, and I didn't find people obnoxious. Certainly in-genuine.

This is an easy place to live, honestly.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:45 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Surprised no one has said it. It is probably one of the best sports scenes in the country.
Baseball, basketball, football and ice hockey. It wasn't that long ago that most teams were pretty bad. Three world series, three superbowls, a nba championship and stanley cup changed that. While it is true that the football games are further out it still will be in the bars.

Due to the high number of schools moving day and graduation day naturally you'd probably want to know. Once I decided to visit the MIT museum and didn't know it was graduation day. On the plus side there was plenty of coffee and free lunch :-D

As said earlier this is not a place where people are in your face with issues. Yes there might be a protest but this is a far cry from Berkley.

The transit is better then BART. I'd argue that Boston, NYC and DC have pretty much the best public transit in the country at least in terms of rail. You can walk across Boston but I will say there is no Happy Hour.

I don't think you'll find the summers and springs to be bad. But you do have to prepare a bit for the winter. I'm sure you have a bit of cold in SF but snow is pretty rare. Inches if not feet can happen although this year so far has been easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston