Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 AM

305 posts, read 416,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Unfortunately, I have always heard that Boston is one of the most racist cities in the country towards black people.
Boston Bruins racist tweets: Bruins fans target Joel Ward after Game 7 | WJLA.com

Boston's Shame: Racist Tweets About P.K. Subban a Disgrace - bruins blog - Boston.com

The only sports fanbase where stuff like this happens twice within two/three years.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:26 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Of course, since Boston is rumored to be so racist towards blacks, it is likely that parents catch hell trying to maintain a stable home life for their kids when they have to endure so much stress at work from the higher-than-normal expectations, lower-than-normal job security, the elevated stress produced by racism inherent in the work environment that disfavors them, and so forth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post

I am wondering if you guys could point me towards a city that does not have racial problems? As a black man myself I would LOVE to hear about this utopia. A few idiots on twitter saying things about a black hockey player is not real racism. Denying people housing, employment, medical care and even the right to walk down the street without being harassed by a police officer is REAL racism.

There is no way that things will get better unless us as black people quit this low education discussion about race and focus on Bulls*it topics like sports.

Lexus Nexus I enjoyed your post, but we have to be better than everyone else in every city in this country and maybe even the world. Its what my parents always taught me and I plan on passing this down to my daughter as well.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I have always heard that Boston is one of the most racist cities in the country towards black people. It may be that even the most qualified of black teachers can't get hired, or are subjected to tougher evaluations once they are, and forced to leave when they are unable to sustain the level of stress and pressure they're under. They would likely get lower pay, lower raises, which doesn't cut it in this expensive city.
I just have never seen this attitude. Boston is all about Affirmative Action and it would make much more sense to hire black teachers in the inner city (which isn't that desirable situation for non-black teachers) than bus city black students to the suburbs under the METCO program.

Quote:
Anyhow, black kids (or any kids for that matter) must be taught at home by their PARENTS to value education, to respect their teachers, and to view school positively BEFORE they get to kindergarten. If parents don't do this, and create an environment where kids can thrive at home, in an environment of stability to enable learning and a love of reading and knowledge, the kids will struggle no matter what race their teacher is.
However, I completely agree with this statement, but I'm not going to rep you because I disagree with the bulk of this posts.

Quote:
Of course, since Boston is rumored to be so racist towards blacks, it is likely that parents catch hell trying to maintain a stable home life for their kids when they have to endure so much stress at work from the higher-than-normal expectations, lower-than-normal job security, the elevated stress produced by racism inherent in the work environment that disfavors them, and so forth.
This is utter nonsense. Believing such rumours are as bad as believing racial stereotypes.

If anything I could much better imagine black parents from poor neighborhoods catching hell from their fellow black friends and neighbors for trying to raise their children as Uncle Toms, and have them be completely independent and productive adults rather than continue the cycle of accepting government handouts such as welfare, Section 8 and food stamps.

Quote:
It's a complex problem. Given that Boston is such an old city in New England, I'm surprised that it is not a model city, where black people thrive. It should be a city with a non-existent ghetto. It's rumored to be a liberal city, yet the racial divisions appear to be stark. Maybe some locals, whites and blacks, can shed more light on this matter. After all, black people are a magnificent people. They should not be catching hell to such a degree in this supposedly "liberal" city, with their kids so negatively impacted.
One person's ghetto is another person's affordable non-gentrified neighborhood, a place where aspiring artists can thrive. SF's biggest problem is a lack of affordable neighborhoods. And the squeeze is on the traditional inhabitants of NYC's Harlem area. What examples do you have of model cities with no ghettoes?

And what exactly do you dislike about a ghetto neighborhood? The filth on the streets? The high crime levels? Because that is all on the residents. I've seen clean working class neighborhoods and they are clean because of the residents who live there, like those populated by the Portuguese, Italians and the Irish. They care about where they live and it shows. Those people would never think to throw their trash on the sidewalks. It's not because the local municipality is sending in more cleaning crews.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/us...-moves-in.html

Quote:
Do families of these black kids who are not doing well feel marginalized because of the lack of opportunities for blacks due to racism by whites in Boston?
Again, there isn't a problem with racism against blacks in Massachusetts.
Quote:
I reject any argument which implies that the reason black kids don't do well is because of inherent limitations or inferiority. This is asinine thinking which is better suited for Klan rallies.
Urban street culture doesn't value academic prowess. And as I've posted before, black kids need their parents to turn into tiger parents who insist that their kids put good effort into their studies and to respect their teachers, even if they are non-black or in the worst case, white men.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
'Bruins fan' and 'Bostonian' are not synonymous. But I'm sure you knew that.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 AM
miu

Quote:
Why would you judge a city based on the angry tweets of a few disappointed passionate sports fans? But if that keeps waves of black people from moving to New England, then that's alright with me. We already have too many people in general wanting to move to the already crowded Boston area. Shrug.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:03 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Right and if people arent judging you for the color of your skin they will be judging you for something else-your job, your education, how you dress, where you send your kids to school. I could go on. People are judgemental.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:33 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Right and if people arent judging you for the color of your skin they will be judging you for something else-your job, your education, how you dress, where you send your kids to school. I could go on. People are judgemental.
Yup. It's just human nature... and that's never going to change. The world is never ever going to be universally accepting of every single human being or group of them.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Miu's post about Africa is IMO clueless - but she's mainly right about Boston while the Lexus/hockey posters are clueless about Boston.

Hockey fans aren't always Harvard scholars so to assume they properly represent the largess of Bostonian is like saying the Marlboro Man is a typical Texan or El Chapo represents the typical Mexican.

The "most racist city in America" label sure is sticky - but it's really just a tired old label. Yes there were problems in the 70's but it was no different than any other city in the US. Less so in many cases. SF has no problems with blacks cuz essentially they have no blacks. 3.9%? They priced 'em all out.

Boston is a big diverse place with a typical share of dumbasses - but it also MORE than it's share of the smartest people in the world. Abolition was big in Boston. I lived across the street from Frederick Douglass's house. William Lloyd Garrison, John Brown, Wendall Philips WEB Dubois... MLK lived right around the corner from me and called Boston "his second home".

Why are there so many nice white girls teaching in inner city Boston schools? Two words he surely never heard of - Settlement Houses".

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-15-2015 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: name calling

Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Miu's post about Africa is IMO clueless - but she's mainly right about Boston while the Lexus/hockey posters are clueless about Boston.
So tell all of us about the good parts of Africa and why is it that no African Americans want to move back to their home continent and recreate the paradise that was taken from their ancestors? Many Jewish American people visit Israel and some even stay there for lengths of time, but I don't see any African Americans wanting to visit African, let alone set up an African American town or city over there. Although the African country of Liberia was founded by freed slaves and the US did invest money there... but that was a huge failure. Maybe Oprah can try fixing it with her money and the efforts of other African Americans.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:21 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Miu i agree with several points you've made and I've never been to Africa but from what I've heard it's not all bad. I'd love to go to capetown or johannesburg one day.

Spot the Africa - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston