Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 12,513 times

Advertisements

Hi, i will be moving to boston in a few months, and am looking to buy a small condo. i have seen a few places on craig's list - one of which is located in the allston community. Could anyone please let me know what they think of this area? Is it safe for a single female, are the schools good, etc?
any insight would be much appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Allston is basically a college-kid transient community with some older people, meaning very old people, who can't afford to leave. I'd say offhand it's not really a community- far too much renting/moving. There are some immigrants with kids, but largely it's an under-25 place. Lots of bars on the main streets, lots of apartment blocks. Not much in the way of public parks or spaces. I think it would be a lousy place to be over 25 or raising kids. It's not overly unsafe, it's just it's everyone's first roach-filled, overpriced apartment when they move to Boston at a young age and/or go to college anywhere along the Green Line train (mostly Boston University).
I thought it was crummy and overpriced and over-drunk when I lived there at age 20, and my opinion hasn't changed over the many years.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM

213 posts, read 936,641 times
What do you think of the Coolidge Corner section of Brookline/Brighton?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,333 times
I agree 100% with Bright-

Coolidge Corner is maybe one step in the right direction, but not by much. It has tons of traffic and plenty of college activity. Not necessarily a bad thing- just not ideal IMO for settling down/buying a condo.

Washington Square is much nicer along with Brookline Village being much more adult.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Brookline is a whole 'nother world.
I personally love Coolidge Corner, and Washington Sq., in fact, my first group apartmetn was Wash. Sq.
I don' think you can go wrong with living in Brookine, especially in the areas on the Green Line (and maybe the areas a bit further away from Boston). A wonderful community for all ages. Very urbane, diverse, artistic, intellectual.
One note, you cannot park on the street overnight in Brookline, so any place you buy or rent, you must either have a space that comes with it, or knock or doors in the neighborhood, looking for a spot in someone's driveway or something. I had to walk three blocks to my parking space when I lived in Brookline on Jamaica Pond (across Rt.9 from Brookline Village).

Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 52,802 times
Hi,

I am moving from California to Bos and considering Royce Rd Allston. Is this a good choice? I will be working in the area (I am not a college student).

Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 PM

No. No.
For the fact that Royce Road is very very short and small, virtually everyone has lived there on arrival in the area, myself included. The only thing going for it is proximity to Mass. Ave. and that public transport. Roaches are free by the pound.
You could consider moving a short way towards Brookline and be in a different world. The further down Harvard St. (and its side streets) towards Coolidge Corner, the better, and you can get a different green line off Beacon St.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 PM

13 posts, read 52,802 times
: (

I have been looking for housing for more than a month now.

The only place I've liked so far is in Cambridge, but it is way too expensive, and has only 1 bedroom.

So I am going to unashamedly ask you all to comment on the ``niceness'' of the following areas:

walbridge at commonwealth Allston

inman street Cambridge

Brighton Ave at Commonwealth Ave (Packards corner) also Allston? Or North Brookline?

Francis Street at Belmont Street Watertown

Franklin St at Cypress St Brookline

Mortimer Place at Marshall Street Sommerville

Harvard Street and Ellery Street Backbay

Chauncy at Garden Harvard Sq.

Fort Hill

Thank you ... and sorry for asking for a list of answers. :-/

Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM

Both the Cambridge areas you mention are very nice, but I bet they're quite expensive. Back Bay, same thing. Parking will always be an issue, certainly in Back Bay, Harvard Square or Inman St. Most buildings are old and don't have parking under them. A large number of large apt. buildings in the area are from the 1920s. Many have had little or no rehab since then, and all that pedestal sink and clawfoot tub stuff is dreary when it's really old. (I lived in several). I think, for people from out of town, the oldness of most of the housing is a real surprise, and not a happy one.
Offhand, I think anything in Allston/Brighton that is adjacent to Comm. Ave. is going to be a big block full of too many students and under-25s and no parking, at least that's how it used to be.
Fort Hill is in a Boston neighborhood of Dorchester, which can be very spotty.
The Brookline and Watertown areas mentioned are reasonable, but nothing is "inexpensive."
Unless you need a second bedroom for a second person, I suggest you consider living in the smallest place you can afford in an area you want.
If I'm wrong about any of the above, I'll be happy to be corrected.
Not familiar with the address in Somerville. Again, not inexpensive if near the Red Line, students, or Cambridge. Pretty dreary in other areas.
Best wishes.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
When in doubt, go for Brighton. Not -as- convenient to public transport, but there is public transport, and the green line is just up the road from wherever you settle. It's less college-y, while still being sort of college-y. More townies, more families, more opportunities to see 1 and 2-family houses with actual grass-growing yards in them. Still plenty of city kick, still plenty of city attitude, but all on the more quiet side, and for a whole lot less money. Allston's the only place on your list that would be less expensive. But in the case of Allston, you pay for cheap, and cheap is exactly what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston