Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 9,736 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I'm considering a move from DC to the Boston area, specifically to work at Hanscom AFB (promotion opportunity). I'm a 29 year-old single male and I trying to decide what my best options for balancing a commute, a social life and a managable monthly rent would be. I've been in DC for 2 years, so I am used to ridiculously high rent, but I haven't found much from searching on Craigslist that makes me thing Boston is all that comparable.

A little background, I would be looking to be in a walkable and somewhat trendy area, but don't have to be right downtown. I would like to have good access to restaurants and bars, but I am over the crazy late night scene (think Adams Morgan in DC). I'd like to stay under ~$1750/month and get a 1-bedroom (no roommates!). I have a 65-pound lab mix, and would love parking, but I realize street parking is probably a reality, and what I currently deal with living in Capitol Hill. In addition to all of that, I would prefer to keep my commute to less than 45 minutes if possible. Come to think of it, anything that would be comparable to Capitol Hill in Boston would be perfect, even if it is a little bit more suburban.

I was thinking Somerville/Cambridge would be a good fit, but would that commute be a nightmare? Would it be more undergrads than young professionals? And does a <$1750/month apartment exist in that area? What would other good options be?

Thanks for the help, I'm pretty sure I am going to be getting a call with a job offer soon and I need to have a decision made!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 11:15 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
You can do it on that, and yes, there are lots of young professionals and grad students in that area. Lots of people do that commute as well.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:39 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I'd recommend looking in Arlington. It's a less happening inner-suburb, but an easy commute to Hanscom and affordable by comparison. It's also an easy bus or bike ride to Davis Square, Harvard, etc.

Your price point isn't so much of an issue as your dog. Unfortunately, Boston rents is very unfriendly toward pets. I had a hard time finding a place that would take my cat. Most landlords who allow dogs cap the weight limit to 40 pounds. Jamaica Plain all around sounds like the best neighborhood for you, but the commute seems like it would be messy - but I've never done it.

Also look at Waltham. Moody Street is a happening place and despite having 2 colleges in town, it never seems overrun by students the way that bars in Cambridge and Somerville do. It's a bit cheaper since it's not on the T, but I can't speak to how easy it would be to rent with a dog.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:50 AM

Would it be even worse from a dog perspective if I clarified that I'm pretty sure she is a lab/pit mix? She is ridiculously friendly to everybody she meets, but I wasn't sure if Boston was as unfriendly towards bully breeds as a place like Denver is.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:37 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr8598 View Post
Would it be even worse from a dog perspective if I clarified that I'm pretty sure she is a lab/pit mix? She is ridiculously friendly to everybody she meets, but I wasn't sure if Boston was as unfriendly towards bully breeds as a place like Denver is.
The biggest problem is finding a landlord who will rent to someone with dogs. Type of dog in and of itself usually isn't an issue once you find a place that's willing to take dogs. You also have to watch out because some landlords who take pets will try to charge you all sorts of illegal fees for the privilege of letting you have a pet.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I absolutely think the lab/pit mix wil lbe an issue. It's already hard to find places that'll rent to people with dogs. Some take dogs who are of a certain weight/size (smaller than 65lbs) but may charge extra.

I don't think it'll be impossible, just less to choose from. And personally, I would call her/him a lab mix...don't mention pit.

Best of luck.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Boston is the best East Coast city by far.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
The Boston area is cheaper than DC, are you looking for a close match to Adams Morgan? If so that would change the neighborhood suggestions drastically.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the responses.

G-fused, I do refer to her as a lab mix whenever it comes up with regards to apartments and stuff, but it's pretty obvious for anybody that looks at her. I got lucky in DC in that my current place that I've been in going on 2 years doesn't care and doesn't even charge me pet rent. I know it'd be hard to replicate that in a new place, but I need a place that is at least somewhat reasonable about it.

snatale1, I'm not really looking for a match that is close to Adams Morgan. I don't need to live in a place that has a big club/party vibe. I'd love a place that has a good mix of decent restaurants and low key pubs.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:33 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I would prioritize dog and commute in your situation.

The towns northwest of Boston are pretty dog friendly, areas closer to Boston not so much. There are a good number of dog-friendly parks in those burbs too.

Burlington is rapidly becoming a restaurant destination and has a good amount of rentals.

Winchester, northwest of the town center, has many townhomes and apartments and may have something.

Woburn has many townhomes, probably a few are dog friendly. Woburn has a decent town center with some nice casual restaurants and pubs as well.

Billerica, Wilmington, Reading or Stoneham or even Bedford itself may have a small single family home to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston