Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:08 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times

Advertisements

Wow 330 in milton is a steal. I was going to say the cheapest I had seen recently in milton was around 390k and that is rare. It seems like most homes are around 600k to 700k. I have two friends who recently tried to buy in milton but couldnt. I think they did not want to live near mattapan so they ended up buying in quincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:24 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Wow 330 in milton is a steal. I was going to say the cheapest I had seen recently in milton was around 390k and that is rare. It seems like most homes are around 600k to 700k. I have two friends who recently tried to buy in milton but couldnt. I think they did not want to live near mattapan so they ended up buying in quincy.
You're not looking! There are plenty of homes in the 400K and 500K...plenty. Milton isn't that expensive.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:57 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
You're not looking! There are plenty of homes in the 400K and 500K...plenty. Milton isn't that expensive.
RE is always expensive for buyers who are too good to be putting in any sweat equity, like regular mortals, God forbid live with an older kitchen or bath for a while.

Many buyers apparently contract mortal disease if counters in their kitchen are not granite or quartz, stainless steel appliances are not there (horror of all horrors), there is no open concept or walk-in his and hers closets.

Courtesy of HGTV, and single-minded consumer culture at all costs.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Default re

I agree. I was just watching househunters with my husband over the weekend and I said I think this show is the reason no one wants a fixer upper anymore. People just want something move in ready. However with the way real estate is in this area I can't say I blame people. Who wants to pay 370k for a house and then have to do who knows how much work to it. Even if you buy a move in ready home chances are you have to have something fixed up that will cost you. My cousin bought a fixed upper in dorchester for 315k or something in that range and it took a long time to get things together and it cost more than they thought it would. So I can see both sides.

I really don't look in milton...only out of curiosity. We have to live in the city for a few more yrs due to my hushands job

Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I agree. I was just watching househunters with my husband over the weekend and I said I think this show is the reason no one wants a fixer upper anymore. People just want something move in ready. However with the way real estate is in this area I can't say I blame people. Who wants to pay 370k for a house and then have to do who knows how much work to it. Even if you buy a move in ready home chances are you have to have something fixed up that will cost you. My cousin bought a fixed upper in dorchester for 315k or something in that range and it took a long time to get things together and it cost more than they thought it would. So I can see both sides.

I really don't look in milton...only out of curiosity. We have to live in the city for a few more yrs due to my hushands job
You don't watch enough househunters then! It's often one spouse wants "move in ready" and the other wants "projects". I think they even have a househunters series specifically dedicated to renovations (along with all those buy a cheap house and renovate them shows like Property Brothers).

Frankly I'm glad for people unwilling to touch old kitchen. It lowers the price for me.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:57 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Same "move in ready" mentality is "woe is me" mentality because it is too expensive, too old, biding wars etc. etc.

Fact is that many folks, often being foreign nationals, buy fixer uppers, and then flip them with great success later on. Or rent it out to those lamenting huge housing costs, brainwashed by culture, who will never be mature enough or have enough vision and grit, to make something bigger and better in due time.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
House hunters spoiler.... They always pick the house without furniture because they have already bought it.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:51 AM

25 posts, read 120,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
White neighborhoods where black people fear for their lives? Not so much in Somerville or even Southie anymore, thank God.
The incidents in Bensonhurst and Howard Beach happened over 30 years ago... They weren't limited to those two neighborhoods. It has been happening all over for years. Those two incidents just got a lot of media coverage because it was NY, where it wasn't expected and not tolerated.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:44 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
That is what I have been contemplating lately. Twenty to thirty years ago the Catholics were much more clannish than the protestants. If people of Irish descent are changing to be more like the Anglo-Saxon protestants then I see that as a good thing.
Pretty much reminds me of this.

http://www.amazon.com/NEXT-AMERICAN-.../dp/0684825031

Defining america first was a wasp then after the civil war european and christian (to a point) then around after the 60's everyone else..is there a 4th change? Well that's what he tries to argue.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:39 PM

341 posts, read 672,189 times
Pardon me for barging in.....sounds like original poster (hate saying OP).....is looking for what many of us are looking for.....neighborhoods of yesteryear......I am sure that greater Boston is not the only area that is changing so rapidly........................why wouldnt people want to be around their own kind (at least to some degree).....it is great to feel like "everybody knows your name" etc...........
I visited the old neighborhood...a couple of them where we used to live....could not believe how it had changed....things I missed about he area....as I have been living in So. Cal....where NO BODY knows your name..................it saddened me to see how much MA has changed....
I think that young kids today have a much harder time with their identities due to all this.....
I posted some of this sentiment on Maine board....was called a racist.....NO, but when very mixed cultures all live in same area......they really do not have anything in common.....lets face it....and therefore no sense of community.....
only communities with gates and houses that all look the same...no character(much of CA)......and most importantly...no roots.....guess MA is going to way of CA....at least greater Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston