Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 10:16 AM

238 posts, read 326,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I lived in Boston 2000 (?) I found it to be very racist - and not always subtile. You see it in local bars and restaurants, but also in larger stores. There is definitely a "what do you think you are doing in here" attitude. As far as race-relations go, I think Boston is the worst I have experienced in this country.
How do you know the attitudes you perceive are correlated to race?

Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
There is definitely a "what do you think you are doing in here" attitude.
I'm a white guy, and I've gotten this attitude. Heck, I've given this attitude to other whites.

Being an a-hole and being a racist are two different things.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm a white guy, and I've gotten this attitude. Heck, I've given this attitude to other whites.

Being an a-hole and being a racist are two different things.

Exactly.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Can you give some actual examples in those places? Especially in the "larger stores". And what were those stores?
So, I need to validate my opinions and the vibes I get with you. No thanks. You like Boston and think it's a fairly tale kingdom - that's great. I don't.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:43 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Maybe you're right. Maybe Boston is not full of racists - just a-holes.
Exactly!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:47 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
there are plenty of bars and restaurants in dorchester, mattapan, and Roxbury where white people aren't welcome.
I there rent. White people just dont wanna come because there scared of black people. We also dont have plenty of bars or clubs. Please ,can u tell me why asked the question if just want to counterpoint at every opportunity?

Old 01-25-2015, 01:50 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
I lived in Boston 2000 (?) I found it to be very racist - and not always subtile. You see it in local bars and restaurants, but also in larger stores. There is definitely a "what do you think you are doing in here" attitude. As far as race-relations go, I think Boston is the worst I have experienced in this country.
Im black, I think what u saying is true but stuff really changed lot since ~2005. Wee just had a ton of minority immigrants. Might have had to do with the black governor too. And many old time mass racists moved to new Hampshire or out west. And its rapidly changed metro Boston in the past 10 years moreso than maybe any period in Boston since the 70s. Things are wayyy less racist than they were 15 years agk. You should come back sometime, you would be pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
So, I need to validate my opinions and the vibes I get with you. No thanks. You like Boston and think it's a fairly tale kingdom - that's great. I don't.

I don't think anybody disagrees with your ability to sense unwelcoming vibes from people. I'd bet most of us have gotten them. I know I've gotten them MANY times in Boston venues, and I'm a native. But when you make the assertion that it's due to racism then, yes, you need to validate it. Boston has many faults and it's not for everyone but labeling people racist without any clear and convincing evidence, makes YOU the bad guy not us. We have our bigots, no doubt, and they come in all colors and flavors.

Last edited by scoobydew; 01-25-2015 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I there rent. White people just dont wanna come because there scared of black people. We also dont have plenty of bars or clubs. Please ,can u tell me why asked the question if just want to counterpoint at every opportunity?

I'm white and I've been in MANY black venues and gotten glared at by black people. I've gone in venues in insular neighborhoods like the North End and have gotten glared at. I've gone in many venues in New England and had people look at me like who are you? I've probably also inadvertently looked harshly at people in places I've been, because I had never seen them there before. I remember going to restaurants and other places in the Metro DC area with a black female friend of mine and getting VERY noticeable glares from black people who made a point to express their displeasure at this unholy alliance of black and white. I'm sure they thought we were a couple, but it happens that we were just friends, even though none of that should even matter.

Black people don't own the monopoly on being victims of bias, nor are they immune from being biased themselves. The world is round. But when you call someone "racist" you need to have something a hell of a lot more substantive than "he looked at me funny."

Old 01-25-2015, 02:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Im black, I think what u saying is true but stuff really changed lot since ~2005. We just had a ton of minority immigrants. Might have had to do with the black governor too. And many old time mass racists moved to new Hampshire or out west. And its rapidly changed metro Boston in the past 10 years moreso than maybe any period in Boston since the 70s. Things are wayyy less racist than they were 15 years ago. You should come back sometime, you would be pleasantly surprised.
I loved the city when I lived there. Culturally (not people wise) it had a lot of great opportunities. Same is true with the Architecture. In natural beauty, I found it to be one of my favorites. I lived in the Charles River Park towers (a little expensive, but in a nice part of town I thought) next to MGH and I loved walking from there over to my job in Cambridge, or over to Harvard to enjoy a warm day, or over to the downtown area.

It is definitely one of the more beautiful metro's. I think it would have been even nicer if I didn't have to deal with that raised monster highway - the Big Dig had not finished yet. I loved the transport system and a lot of other things about the city. It was just laking in a soul. I found the people too cold (and racist). But for those former reasons I would be willing to give it another try - especially if I could get the same (adjusted for inflation) rate I was getting that year.

For those who get pizzed because someone calls your city racist. Maybe you should look inside rather than castigate those who are expressing their opinions. I'm happy to take BostonBornMassMade's assessment that it has improved - most places do over time - but the truth is that if Boston was not racist (or though of as such by a huge segment of the US population who travel, it wouldn't keep coming up in list after list of people's rankings of most racist city in America. In search engines, the city's name is STILL almost synonymous with racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston