Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 PM

25 posts, read 46,794 times

Advertisements

Imo the Black and Mexican tension in LA is way overblown( thanks media). I didn't see any tensions when I was there nor have i heard anything like the from my cousins who live there and they interact with Hispanics on a daily basis. One of them even dates one lol. We all have our own experiences, though

Old 01-18-2015, 08:54 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,405,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
People in general do not self-identify by ethnicity as much around Boston as they do in other major US cities.
I would say very very much the opposite, drive through dorchester and roxbury in black neighborhoods and you can find "Happy Kwanzaa" billboards and banners as well as african clothing and herbs. The Boston NAACP is located in the middle of the mall of roxbury and theres a Malcolm X Park, The museum of African american History in Roxbury... Dominicans murals in Roslindale, Vietnamese signage along Dot ave..neighborhoods having nicknames like "Jamaica Spain"-Jamaica plain or Little Haiti for Mattapan...touch 106 identifying itself as the "fabric of the black community." They bay state banner, New England's longest running african american newspaper..then i could go on and on about the Irish symbolism. In The CITY of Boston at least people HEAVILY identify with ethnic and racial groups.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 AM

30 posts, read 40,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
With all of the protests etc going on, I've noticed on a lot of comments of articles that people seem to think Boston known for 'polite racism'. They are obviously implying that Boston is racist. What does this even mean? I find Boston to be a very liberal place these days, hence no racism.

I'm not sure what polite racism is. Polite is usually a term associated with Southerners while direct applies to most working class northern regions. But saying "no racism" about ANY geographic location on this planet implies a certain naivete, in my opinion. Everyone has biases and every area has racists. That said, I don't see a pervasive underlying tone of racism, polite or otherwise, in Boston. But we certainly have our share of those promoting the soft bigotry of lower expectations.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,973,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I would say very very much the opposite, drive through dorchester and roxbury in black neighborhoods and you can find "Happy Kwanzaa" billboards and banners as well as african clothing and herbs. The Boston NAACP is located in the middle of the mall of roxbury and theres a Malcolm X Park, The museum of African american History in Roxbury... Dominicans murals in Roslindale, Vietnamese signage along Dot ave..neighborhoods having nicknames like "Jamaica Spain"-Jamaica plain or Little Haiti for Mattapan...touch 106 identifying itself as the "fabric of the black community." They bay state banner, New England's longest running african american newspaper..then i could go on and on about the Irish symbolism. In The CITY of Boston at least people HEAVILY identify with ethnic and racial groups.
I agree with this. People in Boston call themselves "Irish" if their ancestors came over from Ireland a hundred years ago and they couldn't find their family's home county on a map.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,299,172 times
Well maybe they are irish and that's why they call themselves that. should they just call themselves American and forget about where their ancestors came from. Not to mention people would be up in arms about who is and isn't nativE american. it does seem like people in this city have a strong sense of pride in their ethnic background. Many are proud to be italian, irish, dominicam, Vietnamese etc and that's great.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 15,474,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
should they just call themselves American and forget about where their ancestors came from.
Yes

Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 AM

I know that I'm American first before I'm irish...but lineage is interesting to most people and people like to know where they came From. Some people take it too far though. if you feel the need to drive around with a Puerta Rican flag hanging from your mirror then maybe you should be in puerto Rico.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,096,512 times
I lived in Boston 2000 (?) I found it to be very racist - and not always subtile. You see it in local bars and restaurants, but also in larger stores. There is definitely a "what do you think you are doing in here" attitude. As far as race-relations go, I think Boston is the worst I have experienced in this country.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,013,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I lived in Boston 2000 (?) I found it to be very racist - and not always subtile. You see it in local bars and restaurants, but also in larger stores. There is definitely a "what do you think you are doing in here" attitude. As far as race-relations go, I think Boston is the worst I have experienced in this country.
Can you give some actual examples in those places? Especially in the "larger stores". And what were those stores?

Old 01-25-2015, 10:56 AM

there are plenty of bars and restaurants in dorchester, mattapan, and Roxbury where white people aren't welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston