Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:01 AM

6 posts, read 16,663 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm 29, soon to be 30 yr old professional, looking to get a place of my own (1 bed apartment) for the first time. I've only lived outside the city before, but while I don't work in the city, I would like to do the 'city thing' while I'm young(ish!). I'm from England originally, so partly the novelty factor and a case of "if I'm going to be here ,I might as well try enjoy Boston rather than being stuck out I a quiet suburb or the middle of nowhere!" So my main city needs are just the idea of being able to jump on the T on a day off and explore,or of an evening and be able to go places, go out, maybe drink etc without needing to worry about how to get home, as opposed to work based.

I work predominantly in 2 locations. Most evenings I am in the suburb of needham, and need to be there for 5.30/6pm, until about 9pm. I'm there a bit over weekends as well at certain times of year, but less worried about traffic etc then.

I also have an office I go to some days in the week for 9am, or I also have some freedom to work from home during the day as well, so usually do 2-3 days a week of each. So while wanting to enjoy the city, I also need to keep a car (parking).

So my question is, any recommended spots to live? My budget is modest, but not too low. Top of my budget is $1500. I've seen some places for that that include some utilities in that ( heat and hot water for example) so would be good to include those if possible, though not a deal breaker.

My initial search has been around the brighton area, with mixed success. Location is suitable for work and city access, although some areas more rowdy/studenty than others. I actually found a place I really liked and wanted not far from Chesnut hill reservoir which would I think have been a good balance, in that it was a short walk to the action, but not right in the thick of it. However that one fell through and I haven't found a place to match it so far.

Any suggestions? I don't know Brookline well, but seems more expensive. Would the likes of Cambridge and Somerville be too far given my need to drive to Needham for 6pm most days? Southie I think again likely expensive. Also looked online at Quincy and some nice apartments in my budget, but I'm guessing would be a hellish drive on the days I want to get to Waltham for 9am.

Somerville seems a decent area, how would it be to get to Waltham of a morning? My gym is currently in needham, so going early and then occupying myself so to avoid the 5pm rush out of the city is an option too if it means living in a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 AM

227 posts, read 283,464 times
Brighton/Allston certainly poses no problem in getting to Waltham driving. I visit my best friend there at Bentley quite often, and I live in Brighton.

Note also that you will probably have to rent a parking spot in most of the city unless you get lucky with an apartment, but even then there is a cost. If you have to rent, good luck finding a place right next to your apartment. Factor in 10+ minutes of your commute just to get to your car.

Also, how do you define decent? My fiance and I pay 1100/mo with HHW (not including electricity) for a "garden-level" (aka basement/parking lot level studio. One bedrooms in any decent area (around Brighton/Allston) will be right around the top of your budget, and not counting electricity or parking costs. On top of this, you need to realize that you're in college town. That could be good or bad for you, considering that you have at least 8 years on them.

I can't speak for other areas of Boston for living, but we have certainly loved Brighton and easily get deeper into the city with 15 minutes on the T. Avoid the B line if you are in any decent distance to the C/Cleveland Circle. In fact, I would look into Cleveland Circle for apartments- it's on the Brighton/Brookline border depending on which side of Beacon St. you fall on.

My last comment will be that we are living in an area the size of a college suite's common area. Add anything larger than a twin bed and it's really not leaving you much, especially if you plan to work from home. Just be realistic with how much space you will get for your money, whether in a studio or one-bedroom.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 PM

238 posts, read 326,715 times
I can't imagine why you would not look to live in Newton or Natick (or even Framingham), live a comfortable life for a reasonable cost, have easy access to areas you need to go to work as well as easy access to the city when you want, than live in a postage stamp in Brighton, have to fend for a parking space whenever you decide to go out, and potentially deal with d-bag undergrads partying around you all the time, JUST for the sake of living IN the city.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
I can't imagine why you would not look to live in Newton or Natick (or even Framingham), live a comfortable life for a reasonable cost, have easy access to areas you need to go to work as well as easy access to the city when you want, than live in a postage stamp in Brighton, have to fend for a parking space whenever you decide to go out, and potentially deal with d-bag undergrads partying around you all the time, JUST for the sake of living IN the city.
I can't really blame the OP; It's nice to not have to drive everywhere.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post

I can. I'm doing the same, but in Somerville. I like living in a place with things to do where I don't have to get in my car to go out and have dinner, go see bands, hang out with friends, etc. Most weekends I don't even get in my car.

I want to live in place where there are things going on and some life going on. That's Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville for the most part.

Its far better than living in Framingham and driving into the area nights and weekends, and then having to drive back out.

This is especially true for someone the OPs age. Living in Framingham would be like being banished from the social scene.

Last edited by timberline742; 02-05-2015 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 10:15 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
I'd focus on North Newton in your situation. Newtonville, West Newton, Nonantum Village all have many apartment buildings and multi-family rentals.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:48 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I'd focus on North Newton in your situation. Newtonville, West Newton, Nonantum Village all have many apartment buildings and multi-family rentals.
The walkability isn't really there.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:04 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The walkability isn't really there.
Parts of Nonantum and Newton Corner are walking distance to Watertown Square.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Parts of Nonantum and Newton Corner are walking distance to Watertown Square.

Sure, and there is tons of fun going on in Watertown Square

Old 02-08-2015, 05:58 PM

238 posts, read 326,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can. I'm doing the same, but in Somerville. I like living in a place with things to do where I don't have to get in my car to go out and have dinner, go see bands, hang out with friends, etc. Most weekends I don't even get in my car.

I want to live in place where there are things going on and some life going on. That's Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville for the most part.

Its far better than living in Framingham and driving into the area nights and weekends, and then having to drive back out.

This is especially true for someone the OPs age. Living in Framingham would be like being banished from the social scene.
"The city" I was referring to was Boston, it wasn't a pro-suburbs post. I'm not suburban. My post was specific to the question about living in "the city" not living in "a city." The comment was part of the larger conversation regarding BRIGHTON and the feasibility of living there or in other similarly priced areas of Boston and traveling to the westbound areas where he spends other significant time, as opposed to being in the city of Newton and having easy and equal access to Boston, Brookline and other points west. In other words, it a Boston versus Newton or Natick post, not a "city versus suburb" argument. Somerville didn't even factor into my thinking because I wouldn't consider it a viable option if I wanted a reasonably pleasant commute to Needham. Also, with the exception of areas around Sully Sq or Porter Square I don't think it offers the kind of lifestyle/ easy access to Boston that would be worthy of dealing with the commute to Needham. His stated goal seems to be easy access to Boston when he's not working as well as a reasonable commute to Needham.

That's my opinion.

Last edited by scoobydew; 02-08-2015 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston