Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 05:41 PM

75 posts, read 82,217 times

Advertisements

We just handed in our notice for our apartment, the lease for which ends Aug 31st. Since the day after the landlord received our notice, we've been inundated with calls and texts from realtors clamoring to come in and take photos or show the apartment. We've been really accommodating so far, even when one realtor wanted to come by at 8pm (and then didn't show up until 8.30...), however the constant texts, phone calls and knocks at the door are wearing thin.

We're happy for people to come by and see the place, after all, how else will they lease the place out again for September? I know it's also in our best interests as the quicker they rent the place, the sooner this will all stop. However, today 2 groups were scheduled to come by. Three separate groups turned up and one sent me a text saying they couldn't make it, although I had never received any contact from this group prior to this. There was no way of telling which were the 2 groups who'd asked to come by so I couldn't even ask them to please contact us beforehand if they want to show the apartment again. We've had people coming by every single day since it went up for rent. We've also had FOUR separate realtors from the SAME company come by to take photos, and two from another company. Our apartment has been on the market for just 6 days.

Just received another text asking to come by and see the place at 6pm tomorrow. We'd kind of like to wind down, eat our dinner in peace and maybe watch some tv on a Saturday evening, not sit around waiting for a realtor to show and then wait awkwardly until they leave. So, apart from having a bit of a moan in this post...what can we do? Can we tell realtors no, they need to reschedule for a different time? It hasn't been like this in previous rentals here in Boston so we've been taken by complete surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,610,000 times
If your lease ends nearly 7 months from now, why do they need to show the place so far in advance. Are you trying to get out of your lease early?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Nope. Nothing of the sort.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,389,183 times
You can definitely tell the realtors no but why did you give 7 months notice to the landlord that you are not renewing your lease? Seems like that's just setting yourself up for a hassle.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:01 AM

The landlord sent us a renewal letter in January, we had until Feb 5th to get it back to them. If we didn't get back to them they'd put the apartment on the market automatically. So it wasn't really our choice.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:28 AM

8,539 posts, read 13,953,890 times
If someone asks to show the apartment at a certain time but it doesn't work for you then you can absolutely say "no." It happens to me all the time and I just find a time that works for both parties.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:26 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,610,000 times
I'm really amazed this many people are apartment hunting for a place that won't be available until September.

I would think if you are in the city, 60 days would be sufficient notice, especially with the great demand for apartments in downtown.

Many tenants would find it difficult to plan this far ahead, especially students who often don't know where they will work following graduation.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:25 AM

596 posts, read 814,661 times
I have friends who live in a student neighborhood that also had to commit to their September 1 apartment by now.

For my apartment we have to give 60 days, but my LL doesn't rent to students.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Well we do live in Allston, which might explain things! Good to know that we can say no to some showings though, the way the realtors say it it's like "I'll be there at X time, ok thanks bye " so we were unsure if we HAVE to let them come by whenever they wanted because it's never phrased as a question! Feel a bit stupid now.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:07 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,543,441 times
like any type of con they try to sucker you into doing what they want despite your capability or convenience. just tell them no. if they show up anyways let them know you cant let them in because you work from home and are on a conference call or something. if they refuse to leave just call the police.

(but be polite... they do know where you live).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston