Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,536 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Massachusetts and want to check out Roslindale as a place to live. Apart from being close to the Arboretum and on the Orange 'T' line I know little about it. Can anybody help me with information about the town of Roslindale and matters of safety please? Regards, Neil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 08:40 AM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
Could you let us know a bit more about your budget, work/school location and general needs?

Roslindale is a section of the City of Boston which means that your city services - libraries, schools, etc - are tied into the Boston system. It's within easy striking distance of the Orange Line via bus, but you do have to take that extra step or take a long and not entirely pleasant walk. The safety question is a mixed one. Most of Roslindale is quiet and safe, but there are some sketchier pockets, particularly in the northern and eastern reaches of the neighborhood. Generally the areas from Roslindale Square heading southwestward toward West Roxbury along and off of Belgrade Av, the Centre Street/Walter Street area, and the area up off Poplar Street heading toward Hyde Park are quiet and sometimes almost suburban in feel. Some of the area by the Archdale projects along Washington Street has a sketchy vibe, as does the American Legion Highway area, though the latter isn't really residential for the most part.

That's my take based on visits, nearly lifelong experience living in the Boston area, et cetera, but I live off the complete opposite end of the orange line, so perhaps others could chime in with more details that I've missed.

Last edited by professeurpablo; 02-07-2015 at 08:58 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 09:32 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
It does have a nice village center that I find more vibrant with better shops and eating places than Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury. It has its own commuter rail stop. I know a few artists who live there.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:40 AM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
I agree with 495 that the feel of Roslindale Square is nice - cohesive, city-like and diverse. The commuter rail is an asset, though it doesn't run as often as you might like, especially on Saturdays, and there is no service on that line, which runs between South Station and Needham, on Sundays.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:17 AM

264 posts, read 389,069 times
I lived in Rozzie for 2 years. Where I lived on Atherton Ave it was right off of Washington Street by Brannelly's Pub. When I went to work it was a short walk up the street to Washington where I picked up the bus to Forest Hills, and on to Cambridge on the Orange and Red Lines. It was very convenient to downtown (although about 30-40 minutes when all is said and done) and of course close by car as well. I never felt unsafe anywhere in Rozzie, although the area IS sketchy near Archdale as noted above. But for the most part, it is safe! I feel like it's an upcoming, vibrant, safe and diverse area of Boston that's affordable. I would recommend it for sure.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:45 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
The orange line doesn't really provide service to Roslindale but the neighborhood is still quite nice. Very car friendly for a Boston neighborhood and the commuter rail is convenient

Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 PM

264 posts, read 389,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
The orange line doesn't really provide service to Roslindale but the neighborhood is still quite nice. Very car friendly for a Boston neighborhood and the commuter rail is convenient
True but under most conditions the bus brings you there in mere minutes.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:27 PM

240 posts, read 239,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilHFrancis View Post
I am moving to Massachusetts and want to check out Roslindale as a place to live. Apart from being close to the Arboretum and on the Orange 'T' line I know little about it. Can anybody help me with information about the town of Roslindale and matters of safety please? Regards, Neil
As good or better than anywhere else in Boston

Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 PM

288 posts, read 634,984 times
I bought a house in Roslindale on Metropolitan Hill with my husband and it's a family neighborhood. It's a pleasant 15 minute walk to the train station, because there are some nice views of the Boston skyline from the hill. To me, Roslindale feels very safe, with lots of children running around. To give you an idea of safety, a lot of families bring their kids to Roslindale for Halloween because the streets have clean sidewalks, the houses are reasonably close together, and people are welcoming and friendly. On my street, we can easily get a couple of hundred trick-or-treaters. Most people on my block are professionals or in the trades. We have doctors, lawyers, plumbers, carpenters, police, and teachers. We have several single friends who are professionals in their late 20s living in Roslindale, but work in Downtown too. They bought a condo near Cummins Highway, and in general, they like their part of Roslindale, especially since they bought at such an affordable price. They do go to the local farmer's markets (which apparently is indoors during the winter!) and do enjoy shopping or eating at the local businesses. So the type of people you see hanging out at Roslindale Square are diverse--young, old, straight, gay, singletons, and families with young kids. Roslindale is also very diverse in regard to race, ethnicities, and nationalities. Roslindale is mostly residential and semi-surbuban, but it's easy to feel you're part of the city, and not feel like you stick out walking down the street.

Anyway, as for the trains, my husband takes the Needham line commuter rail, and it's a little crowded in the morning (sometimes standing room for the Rozzie people getting on last), but it's generally a quick ride to Back Bay and South Station. It's $4 to park on the train station lot, and there usually are parking spots, even at 8:30am.

As for Forest Hills, which is technically Jamaica Plain, a different neighborhood, it's an ok station if you remember it's a major bus hub with a lot of people passing through. We have several young friends who live within a few blocks of Forest Hills, and the streets nearby seem decent. However, recently there was a shooting at Forest Hills. I don't mean to scare you--what happened was rare. I think the area around Forest Hills is trending upward. They are removing the overpass nearby and adding new apartments, so traffic around Forest Hills is going to be messy due to construction in the next year or so, especially when it snows. But if you are investing in a house or condo near Forest Hills, I think it's a good bet, because once the overpass is gone, the area is going to look really nice. If you're only staying there for a year, I think you should at least test out the commute. To me, the traffic during rush hour around Forest Hills is very slow-going, but the drivers aren't as aggressive as other parts of Boston.

Last edited by sharencare; 02-08-2015 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston