Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 7,362 times

Advertisements

hi all. sean here from belfast in northern ireland. got my visa to move to the us and i am torn between boston and new york. i think boston would be a better bet tho.

looking for an area with a decent population of irish people. probably will be looking for work in the building trades in pub work but i have quite a bit saved up to keep me afloat. if anyone could be of help it would be very helpful. won't have a car so that should be a consideration as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
How much would you want to spend for an apartment, Sean? Are you open to having roommates?

Since you won't have a car, you'll need to be within walking distance to a subway or bus. South Boston, Quincy and parts of Dorchester come to mind. Southie has become expensive, though.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
How much would you want to spend for an apartment, Sean? Are you open to having roommates?

Since you won't have a car, you'll need to be within walking distance to a subway or bus. South Boston, Quincy and parts of Dorchester come to mind. Southie has become expensive, though.
well perhaps $700 us per month or is that too low? im open to a flat share that's what i am doing here in ni so won't be too much of a shock!

and yeh hoping to be close to walk to a train etc. am open to getting a bicycle for traveling but don't know that practicality of that.

I am 22 I forgot to mention

dyou know any websites for me to check for places? have not been able to come up with much on Craigslist

Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Yes, 700 a month means you will have to share. Maybe that's for the best since you are so young.

I would think Craigslist is still the best place to look for rentals or roommates.

There's lots of links on this page: Boston Irish Links - Massachusetts and New England Ireland Links - Culture - Music - Events - Geneology - MA - ma

Once you get here, you'll have no problem meeting up with other Irish.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 AM

264 posts, read 389,069 times
I'd also recommend Brighton for you as well. Some great Irish pubs out there owned by actual Irish people. Devlin's come s to mind. Great atmosphere. You will like it around here!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Many ride bike around here for commuting, errands, and other purposes. Bike lanes have been added and improved but you'll still need to be comfortable with riding in traffic.

Best of luck

Old 02-09-2015, 05:23 PM

238 posts, read 326,777 times
I'd look to Dorchester. Some neighborhoods where you will find a supportive Irish community are Adams Village, Neponset, Savin Hill, Lower Mills. St Margaret's or St/ Marks Parish are good bets. There is a lot less Irish there than there once was, but still many around. You can also find more affordable accommodations than Southie, although you might look there too.

You might want to check in with these people:

http://ipcboston.org/

Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
I agree with others that suggest parts of Dorchester. Many Irish live there.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM

thanks to all for the help. sorry to bother but I found a few places on various websites and I wanted to know an opinion on if these are good for me ?

in a place called the bay village its a single room with a shared kitchen and communal toilet on each level this $750 us per month

share flat in a place called Milton $675 us p/m

share flat in Dorchester at Washington st and blue hills avenue for $725 us p/m

share flat in place called east Boston (advert says close to airport) $700 us p/m

Are any of these good places? some are a bit more than I intended at get go but it seems Boston is quite expensive but I know america pays more than NI so hopefully should be best.

other questions -

is there much live music venues and such or places to play my guitar?

is there a job centre for builder work? when I lived in london 2 years ago there was a place where job seekers could go in every morning and sign on to get sent for labor all around the city. do they have such a thing in boston? If not where does one find building work?

is there any schools to learn trades such as carpentry or electricianry or masonry et al? i have the green permanent resident card from the green card lottery so it says I am allowed to study

Old 02-09-2015, 06:39 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
I do not live in the city so I really can't give you advice on where to live. What I can give you advice on, being working class unlike most of the posters on Boston CD, is if you are in a trade, JOIN A UNION. At your age you will be setting yourself up for life. I know the plumber's union will send you to school, in Dorchester I am pretty sure, and help you get your license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston