Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,997 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just moved back to Boston with my wife after spending 7 years in LA. We looked all over for apartments - which have gotten VERY expensive in my absence - and ended up finding the best deal for the nicest place in Dorchester, right on Shepton off of Florida St. in the St. Mark's neighborhood.

The apartment was so nice and such a good proximity to my work (in Norwood), we got it without really doing much research on the area. When I moved away from Boston 7 years ago, Dorchester still had a pretty bad rap. I've heard it's gotten a lot better though, and we have friends that live a few blocks away on N Munroe Ave, and their area seems great. In fact, the Ashmont and Adams Villiage areas seem awesome for eating and drinking, going out, etc., and the neighborhoods and houses are beautiful IMO.

Going through this forum, however, I've found a ton of mixed reactions to the St. Mark's area. Some say that its a great area, up-an-coming, and awesome sense of community. Some say its fine east of Dot Ave and struggling west of Dot Ave. And I did do some research and came across that manhunt and shooting right next to my apartment a couple years ago (which I believe was a police chase, so could have really happened anywhere).

Did I make a mistake or should I have piece of mind moving here? We're both capable, sensible people, so we can take care of ourselves pretty well, but I just want to get the definitive answer on this area after seeing so many mixed opinions on this board over the years. With our friends living a few blocks east and never having a problem, I'm guessing we'll be fine, but I really don't know Dorchester well enough to form an educated opinion.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:18 PM

9,927 posts, read 15,500,454 times
St. Mark's used to be safe. I heard it had gotten bad for a while but is now improving.

Why would you want to rent an apartment in Dorchester if you are working in Norwood? There are plenty of apartments in and around Norwood.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,997 times
Thanks for the response. Should have mentioned that we want to be in the city - we originally looked in Somerville, East Cambridge, Southie, North End, etc., but couldn't find a decent two BR for a reasonable price. The wife also works in the city, so Dorchester is a perfect compromise. For me, its 20-30 minutes reverse commute each way.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 PM

5,774 posts, read 5,063,046 times
I go to St Marks almost once every two weeks to get the special dog food at the little dog care place across the street from the church. The area seems nice enough to me but I only go during the day. It does feel "up and coming" if you are comfortable with racial diversity (which you seem to be, and not everyone is).

Old 02-11-2015, 03:50 PM

4,883 posts, read 13,759,647 times
Florida St has rebounded pretty nicely from a down time before the turn of the century, when some of the apartment buildings were opened to Section 8 and problem tenants were among those who took advantage. It intersects on its south end with Ashmont St, which to me is now more or less the ever-shifting boundary between "good" and "eh...maybe not so good."
Those who make much out of random crimes would be concerned with the fact that a barber was gunned down in his shop on Adams St (or was it Neponset) a few weeks ago. It's common wisdom that inner-city barber shops as well as beauty salons often serve as not only a community gathering place but as a base for low level "vice" - bag of weed here, stolen weapon there. But from all indications - typically, the story faded from the media consciousness within 3 days - the crime wasn't perpetrated to settle a beef. It was more likely an instance of someone (perhaps from having cased the area) looking for some quick easy cash from a businessperson calling it quits for the day. This sort of thing can, and does, happen in the "best" of places and I feel is not a reflection on the neighborhood.
St Mark's Parish as a whole is still not the most stable of places even 40 years after the busing troubles. But someone named Barry Melton (sp?) spearheaded a largely successful effort to beat back real estate speculators out to "block bust" the community east of Dorchester Ave as the '80s went on. My main issue with the immediate vicinity would be that you can buy next to nothing within easy walking distance.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:20 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,304,075 times
Default re

Heh. I heard the barbershop incident was over a past dispute. The owner of the shop had once been involved in drugs, was clean but people from his past came back and sadly he is no longer with us.

Overall its a decent area. U did mention something about it being a fun place to go out to eat? The only restaurant I thought was in Adams village was blasiS fat belly deli. Then there are some take oUT places. There's tavalo and ashmont grill but those are a little further away by ashmont station. I wish they would do more with that little center in Adams village. It could be really cute but it seems dated.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 AM

14,461 posts, read 11,212,614 times
You'll have parking problems.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:51 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,712,414 times
All right neighborhood. By no means the worst of Dorchester but there is occasional crime and drug activity. Florida Street looks dirty at times but I never think of it as a bad street and I live not too far from there. Be more careful if you stray further to the west of Dorchester Avenue to the other side as crime picks up as you head further west.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:44 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,053,985 times
Savin Hill is way nicer, and you can still get a two bedroom condo for under $250k if you look around. Won't be pretty, but won't break the bank either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston