Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,452 times

Advertisements

You get these all the time I'm sure, but if you are not to annoyed with the same old question, maybe help me out?

I'm moving to Boston. I'll be working downtown.

Can you recommend a neighborhood?

My rent can be 1800 - 2000. All I want is a decent/safe neighborhood with good access to a T train. I will not have a car. I am open to all areas, in the city or further out. I currently live in washington dc and can walk to stores and bars. My neighborhood is a friendly place with locals to hang out with. Would like to find the same in Boston.

I heard Brookline has neighborhood feel with good t train access. And Somerville is rejuvenating, but does not have good train access.

I am a working professional and would like to avoid college student rat nests.

Can you recommend rental resources?

Also, I don't care if I have to use a broker or not. If you can recommend any good resources to find any rental listings, that would be appreciated. Or, a decent realtor /broker who works with rentals.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:26 PM

596 posts, read 818,446 times
Check out Coolidge Corner/Brookline Village in Brookline. Walk score of about 99. You can walk to just about any errand you need to run, including Stop and Shop and Trader Joe's. Super safe.

Chestnut Hill Realty has a bunch of rentals in the area.

Which T stops are close to your office?

Old 02-15-2015, 03:49 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Welcome. You got good advice. I will add Davis Sq in Somerville and Porter Sq. in Cambridge, both on Red Line are some of the best walkable neighborhoods for young professionals. You might bump into occasional student, but for the most part is is place for younger professionals, with some grad students mixed in.

East Arlington is another. Best for you would be area right around last stop on Red Line at Alewife (quieter and greener where your dollar could stretch little bit more, if other areas do not yield good results). South End would be another area to check out if your job is closer to that side of Boston.

All depends on your commute and where you need to be on a daily basis.

Good luck.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,214 times
Another place to look into is South Boston. Lots of rentals and easy access to the T.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:57 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Another place to look into is South Boston. Lots of rentals and easy access to the T.
You could even walk downtown from SB. Ditto Charlestown.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Check out Coolidge Corner/Brookline Village in Brookline. Walk score of about 99. You can walk to just about any errand you need to run, including Stop and Shop and Trader Joe's. Super safe.

Chestnut Hill Realty has a bunch of rentals in the area.

Which T stops are close to your office?
Thanks Yeager! I was hoping that area would be good! It appeared to be a good location and not to far out. Not being from the area, I had no idea what is was like. So thanks for your input! I will be contracting, so my work stop will change frequently. I think it best to find a good place to live first.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Welcome. You got good advice. I will add Davis Sq in Somerville and Porter Sq. in Cambridge, both on Red Line are some of the best walkable neighborhoods for young professionals. You might bump into occasional student, but for the most part is is place for younger professionals, with some grad students mixed in.

East Arlington is another. Best for you would be area right around last stop on Red Line at Alewife (quieter and greener where your dollar could stretch little bit more, if other areas do not yield good results). South End would be another area to check out if your job is closer to that side of Boston.

All depends on your commute and where you need to be on a daily basis.

Good luck.
Thanks kingeorge! I had not thought of Alewife. I am considering all options at the moment. I appreciate your input!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Thanks David 22!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
You could even walk downtown from SB. Ditto Charlestown.
Thanks Cliff! A friend of min just mentioned Charlestown. I was unsure that without a T stop it would be isolated. But, I'm learning that boston is pretty small.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:52 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
What part of DC do you live in now? BIG difference between AdamsMorgan & Columbia Heights & U St, ya' know?

Our bus system is NOTHING like the WMATA. Somerville NOT on the Red Line will
make you insane. Charlestown is cute, but a pain to get in and out of. AND it takes forever to get downtown on a 'normal' commute.

I'd make suggestions based on your current living/commuting conditions.

Like U St? Go Fenway or South End.

Like Adams Morgan/Mt Pleasant? Brookline

Columbia Heights? East Boston/East Cambridge

See?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston