Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 AM

28 posts, read 53,777 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have a trip planned to Boston, leaving this Thurs and returning Monday. The hotel we booked is Harborside. Usually when we travel we like to walk and use public transit. This has been planned for months, and during winter months because we had a promo (buy one ticket get one free) that had to be booked before the end of Feb.

Given the recent weather, is there anything we should be especially prepared for aside from the obvious (coats, hats, gloves)? Is there any current impact to public transit? Are all sidewalks mostly cleared? Are businesses open as usual? Probably very ignorant questions, but the news is making this out to be the worst storm of the century so we want to be sure this won't be a wasted trip.

While we're there we plan on checking out the Aquarium, Museum of Science, Institute of Contemporary Art and some standard landmarks. Any other suggestions? Good eats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 10:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,685,494 times
Public transit is an absolute disaster right now. I suggest visiting mbta.com to see what impacts you may experience.

Otherwise, it's cold but you should be able to do whatever you want as long as you have a way to get around. Sidewalks aren't uniformly clear but should be passable. Make sure you pack adequate winter clothes.

I don't think this would be a wasted trip. The snow is an amazing site.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:21 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,773,186 times
I don't think it'll be a wasted trip. And I agree with Dm84 - public transportation is horrible right now, that's the biggest impact . But driving isn't so grand either with all the huge snow banks. The city is still alive but not as thriving. But places are open. Sidewalks are ok but the snow encroached a lot so there isn't as much room. They can be pretty slippery so it's not a bad idea to get some *** trax or something similar.

I personally think the city and many towns are doing a good job removing as much snow as possible in order to keep things moving but there is still plenty of snow around. As Dm84 said, it's quite a site. Hopefully, they'll get a lot more by the time you arrive.

Have fun.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:34 AM

26,650 posts, read 28,599,091 times
The sidewalks, the public transport mostly shut down, etc. What you see on tv is true. Buses are trying to fill in for the public transport, it is a disaster. I'm not a Bostonian but if I went there I'd just use a cab to get around. Maybe someone can add more info about getting around because that's the hardest part now.

But, as the preceding posts have stated, there is still plenty to do and it's well worth the trip.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:08 PM

22 posts, read 28,583 times
At the moment, the parts of the subway system which is underground is running. The parts where it comes on the surface is where most of the problems are. You should be able to get to the tourist sites using the underground parts.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyleaguediver View Post
At the moment, the parts of the subway system which is underground is running. The parts where it comes on the surface is where most of the problems are. You should be able to get to the tourist sites using the underground parts.
Running, with severe delays.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM

2,717 posts, read 6,098,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke711 View Post
Probably very ignorant questions, but the news is making this out to be the worst storm of the century so we want to be sure this won't be a wasted trip.
I think the media these days makes every storm out to be 'the storm of the century'. Honestly, it doesn't seems as bad as it's portrayed in the national news. As others mentioned, everything is open. Business as usual. It won't be a wasted trip, you'll just need to make a few adjustments (ie more cab rides).

Old 02-17-2015, 12:40 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,773,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Running, with severe delays.
Exactly. The red line is such a disaster that I avoid transferring to it. At best I am squeezed in with my face pressed up against the glass door. That’s if I’m lucky, and after waiting for a long time. I rather bundle up and endure the cold and walk, which is what I’ve been doing. At least if I walk I know how long it’ll take me to get somewhere.

But OP, don’ t listen too much to this doom and gloom. I’m cranky. The snow, and all the issues that come along with it has really taken its toll on me. And I commute during the hard time of day and am stressed because I need to be at work at a certain time and then need to get to pick up my kid on time.

A vacation is a different story. I suspect (and hope) it won’t bother you as much. Hopefully, you will find it charming and absorb it as part of Boston and have stories to tell your friends. So go ahead and take a train here and there, just make sure the train you need is running and build in a cab budget. You may need to use it at times, depending on where you go.

Anyway, don’t let things like that ruin what can be a great trip. That would be my perspective if I were visiting. Just part of the charm. It’s loses its appeal when you are depending on it and are living it for real life though.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:46 PM

Right, someone on vacation won't be as annoyed by the current state of the T as someone who needs to use it every day to get to work would be. That being said, I don't want to give the OP the impression that everything is fine with mass transit when it's not. No one wants to waste their vacation navigating a severely crippled MBTA system so they should try to limit their trips on it.

OP lists their location as San Francisco. All I can say is bundle up and use cabs.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:11 PM

28 posts, read 53,777 times
Thanks for all the insight! We are definitely okay with walking for the most part and using cabs otherwise. And yes, we're coming from the land of zero weather, but we are kind of excited about freezing our asses off for a few days.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston