Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,323 times

Advertisements

Hi, my girlfriend and I are moving to Boston next year. I am finishing college at either Suffolk or Emerson. Were both 22 and have no interest in living in campus housing at all. Where would be a safe area outside of boston where we could take the T to the city?

Thank yall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:08 AM

132 posts, read 545,211 times
What is your budget? What you can afford will help determine which neighborhoods you can choose from.

Be prepared for sticker shock. Housing is astronomically expensive here, and everything else isn't far behind.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:18 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
"Hey!" <--- Pronounced the proper way, with a drawl.
There have been "umpteen" threads posted about this exact subject. Because some very basic info was left out of the OP we don't have a good idea of what direction we should be steering y'all in. (I can use "y'all" 'cause my parents were both born/raised in "Clumbya" and are proud USC alumni. ) Please elaborate in terms of your tastes & other criteria. Specifically touch upon:

Price point for a rental (it can't be assumed you're on a tight budget)
Neighborhood feel (quiet & full of "REALLY old" - 65+ - people, teeming screaming student slum?)
Convenience to outdoor activities important? (Running/biking paths, park areas)
Large apt building OK? Studio adequate for space needs?
Tolerable commute time?

Straying off the subject some to go into "cultural adjustment" now. Having been The World's Largest College Town for a long long time, a great deal of the Boston area is well accustomed to "visitors" and transplants. If you don't have roots in SC you've at least spent some time there. OWN THAT. People have a tendency to pounce on an accent or "strange words," and ask annoying questions or make fun. But I've learned that generally this is not coming from a hostile place. As a rule it's more along the lines of being intrigued. Roll with it and laugh along. (My go-to line is, "Everybody's got an accent. Mine's just cooler. " ) Turn around and ask the person(s) what THEY say when they mean whatever. It's an easy ice-breaker.
Steel yourselves for the fact that aside from a scattered handful of soul food restaurants NO PLACE SERVES GRITS. OR HUSH PUPPIES. And the BBQ completely blows. (Drop out of school and open a Bessinger's or a Maurice's up here. Please!) We do at least love & appreciate seafood. How could we not, seeing as how we're only right smack on the ocean? And up here in New England we of course love ourselves some lobster too. That's real lobster, not Red Lobster.
One last thing, don't get too excited whenever you see the awesome SC state flag flying (or on a bumper sticker) around here. Ditto for when you see that Carolina Wren license plate. Those in the know have known for "eons" that USC is a better than decent party school as well as having none-too-shabby academics. And, news flash (not), retirees have descended like mosquitoes on the Palmetto State in recent years. So "don't be like him (meaning me)" and go running after the person who just locked their car bearing the wren plate and the palmetto/crescent-moon sticker. Chances are you'll wind up hearing something like, "My granddaughter goes to Converse" or "We just bought a condo in Myrtle Beach." Buzz kill!

I'm "tickled" that you found City-Data and am sure we can come through for, you know, y'all.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,323 times
Thanks for the responses. Right now we pay 1150 for our one bedroom apartment and obviously know that it's much more expensive in and around Boston. If we have to pay much more than 2000 we may have to reevaluate our relocation. If we have to do a studio we would be open to it. We also don't want a bunch of 18 year old and definitely not senior citizens. Right now we live in an up and coming '' hipster''ish neighborhood in charleston so maybe something similar? Being near outdoor activities isn't crucial since my girlfriend is from yarmouth, Maine. As far as commuting being able to take the t would be ideal since I'll be in school and a long ass commute probably wouldn't be great. We've also been to Boston a lot and know that there isn't a southern connection there but having lived in Portland I know how interested people are in my '' culture''.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
You can find something for less than that. Hard to do long distance. My ladyfriend found a fantastic one bedroom in Union Sq somerville with heat included for $1200 a few months back. Lovely hardwood floors too. It's a lot of work, and you'll likely pay more than that, but it can be done.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:36 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Yes, that price point is do-able, but be sure to steer way clear of Allston and Brighton (names often combined since they're adjoining.) Allston-Brighton wrote the book on student ghettos. And these days Mission Hill isn't much better. Jamaica Plain or the Dorchester neighborhoods of Savin Hill, Blessed Mother Teresa Parish (Columbia Rd & Dorchester Ave vicinity), and possibly Pope's Hill or Ashmont could work very well. All are "up & coming" and more than a little trendy, but are heavily comprised of spacious duplex and "three-decker" houses where you'll get a lot of space for the money.
Beacon Hill is the closest thing to Old Charleston you'll find here, and the rents are WAY higher than what you or me or 'most anybody can afford. And there aren't a lot fewer tourists there than those who clog the waterfront, Broad St, the Battery, etc anyway. Who needs 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston