Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:34 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times

Advertisements

'(PS: Using the actual quote button is easy, and is helpful)'

oh thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM

The cop haters will be happy to read this:

Marathon Bombing Report:

Old 04-03-2015, 04:59 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Just curious. Where should they go if they don't have a home/apartment?
Shelter?

Yes, not enough of them. Sure, more taxes so that we can solve all the social ills that come from poor personal and life choices. There will be no end to this debate, so I won't continue.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
The cop haters will be happy to read this:

Marathon Bombing Report:
Eh. It's not a bad report. It's an analysis. Nobody in LE could be faulted during that incident. It was unprecedented in Boston. Two mass murderers on a serial killing spree. Don't forget, Watertown has like two police officers on their nightshift. The Feds were still in bed when the BPD crossed the river to save the day.

I heard the first gunfight in Watertown over the police scanner. Those scumbags had a LOT of ammo. Plus bombs. That officer was screaming over the radio for his life. It was terrifying.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:46 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
They did a whole write up on Wests career past dating back to a drive-by in 1991. Here is his larger group which I mentioned earlier, it was posted in the comments section of boston.com.

H Block: Where children are shot in a gang war that goes back decades | Universal Hub

This was written before another 4 homicides rocked the area in summer of 2013.

Boston's got issues and what's the mayor concerned about? The Olympics...Honestly if we can't control a group of about 100 guys terrorizing a 1 sq miler area with probably 100s of shooting since the 1980s I truly dont believe we have any business hosting the Olympics. Ik you can't penalize the whole city for the actions of the unruly underclass but what about all the innocent kids and families. They only list a few of the people who have died. But what about the many more innocent people shot in the area and those people families?

Maybe if roxbury could get a restaurant or a club or a movie theater or an entertainment complex. Any type of recreational investment its actually be a interesting place to live forbore than just sentimental reasons.

Dump a bunch of rec centers and ball courts that are underfunded and kids eventual grow out of..then the kids realizes hes poor and has never left DRM...he realizes the city is willing to drop billions in the fancy neighborhoods and the olympics but he gets 8 bucks an hour 25 hours a week 6 weeks a year at a BYF Hopeline job and he can't get back home from his bussed high school till 6pm Which doesn't leave much time to make money. His moms not a techie she's got debts and a stagnant job. People are dying around him...there's not much food in the fridge...schools a war zone and he gets some poor SATS back because he want prepared for college anyway even if he was a B student....these are some average scenarios facing Boston kids everyday and were worried about the Olypics. There are kids BEGGING for change to get on the T at Jackson Square!! and this city is talking about the olympics.

No vitality in Boston southern neighborhoods other than JPand westie.. (Advocate all you want for rozzie, whatever still marginalized). Look at other cities at least in inner city neighborhoods of DC and NYC or SF LA theirs still things to legitimately do and be i terested in. In boston there's no music scene, no high school sports really, no restauranits, no trains no nothing other than an opportunity to try to eek off the city...not much to do then everythings expensive. Older kids join gangs to try to afford living in their city and younger kids play outside cuz there poor kids with nothing to do..and u get HBLOCK

Old 04-04-2015, 07:18 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Perhaps the police should simply withdraw from these dangerous areas in deference to these "Black Live Matter" folks, and let them run the place themselves. It would saves the lives of police officers and lots of tax money.
The "Black Lives Matter" folks need to get more blacks to become police officers so that they can police themselves. And see how they like getting shot at by criminals of all races. Instead of organizing protests to block the police just trying to do their jobs, that group should be organizing police recruitment events for blacks and minorities.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:20 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times
Kids join gangs to afford living in the city? Call me cynical, but I highly doubt a single cent made from selling crack on the street corner is used for rent and/or food.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:24 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
and younger kids play outside cuz there poor kids with nothing to do..and u get HBLOCK
Their parents need to send them off to the public libraries (which are completely free) to hang out and tell them to read all the books they can. That's what my parents did and doing that exposed me to the rest of the world. I read about arts, biographies of great people and the sciences. I also read a lot of fiction. I read about other countries. I read cookbooks. Those kids should be taught that it's cool to be a bookworm, it's cool to be a geek. And even thought everyone is big on Kindle books, imo holding a real book made of paper leaves a greater impression on a child.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Default re

'maybe if roxbury could get a restaurant or a club or a movie theater or an entertainment complex.'

I don't know how that would work out. I remember the dedham movie theatre had a lot of incidents. I see the same thing happening in roxbury. fights will just break out there. I dont think anyone has the answer on what to do about gangs in the city. I've heard that there have been boston cops who end up giving the gangs inside info. Really scary. Those are the crooked cops

It would be great if more black men joined the police. I've heard many times they don't want to work in the neighborhood they grew up in though. Also numbers are down for the boston police. Its probably easier to get on now than it was in the past. Not as many people want to do this job anymore as they did before. It pays well but it's not just a thankless job these days you get downright berated for it. seems like they get crap for doing too little or too much. I also think bpd does a disservice to themselves by making people live in the city for 3 years before even applying. Then there's the whole having to stay living in the city for another 10 years. in case anyone didn't notice it's pretty expensive to live in boston these days and the bps are not good. they'd get a better pool of candidates if they loosened up on those rules.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Their parents need to send them off to the public libraries (which are completely free) to hang out and tell them to read all the books they can. That's what my parents did and doing that exposed me to the rest of the world. I read about arts, biographies of great people and the sciences. I also read a lot of fiction. I read about other countries. I read cookbooks. Those kids should be taught that it's cool to be a bookworm, it's cool to be a geek. And even thought everyone is big on Kindle books, imo holding a real book made of paper leaves a greater impression on a child.
Miu I agree with most of what you say and you are all for parents steering their kids in the right direction which is what they should be doing. but have you been to roxbury? Many of these parents smoke crack all day and they barely even know what a library is. They should not have had kids in the first place....but they did. It's a vicious cycle. It's likely how they were raised as well. I'm sure there are some good parents in roxbury who want the best for their kids, but I don't imagine many of them are encouraging their kids to go to the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston