Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,745 times

Advertisements

To start, thanks for all your existing input on this forum; reading through old threads has been very helpful already.

I'm a 20-something guy who is moving to Boston this summer. My job is near the Longwood Medical Area and, like everyone else, I would prefer a sane and brief commute. Other stuff that's important to me would be nearby green space and, if possible, getting a 1br apartment for, say, $1500. This has me thinking about Jamaica Plain - it seems to have good T access, is adjacent to the Emerald Necklace and Arboretum, has rents that I could plausibly pay, and is less unsafe than Roxbury.

I don't currently own a car and, given the expense and general inconvenience of having a car in Boston, am considering not getting one. I'm accustomed to living without a car and have a fairly broad definition of what is 'walkable' or 'bikeable'... but I've also been living in very urban areas. Is Jamaica Plain too spread out or suburban for being without a car? Would another neighbourhood make more sense?

Any advice and/or corrections are appreciated. Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:52 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Jamaica Plain to Longwood would be an easy commute without a car (probably recommended) and JP would be a great neighborhood to live in without a car. It's not too spread out at all unless you're comparing it to Manhattan. It's a very compact, dense, walkable urban neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
You could walk from JP. In good weather, it will be wonderful. I lived on the other (The Fenway) and walked to Longwood everyday to work at BWH. It's the stuff of dreams. So gorgeous. Just live on the north side if possible. South Huntington Ave is gorgeous. Same w Jamaica Way.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,745 times
Awesome, thanks for the perspective.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:57 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
You could walk from JP. In good weather, it will be wonderful. I lived on the other (The Fenway) and walked to Longwood everyday to work at BWH. It's the stuff of dreams. So gorgeous. Just live on the north side if possible. South Huntington Ave is gorgeous. Same w Jamaica Way.
South Huntington is gorgeous? Well, a few nice houses here and there, and some pleasant side streets like Zamora and Castleton, but gorgeous? Parts are kind of ratty. Do payout mean Centre Street, near Pond St.?

Sure, OP, no car is no problem, even if further out in the Forest Hills section, which I think is still JP?

Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
South Huntington is gorgeous? Well, a few nice houses here and there, and some pleasant side streets like Zamora and Castleton, but gorgeous? Parts are kind of ratty. Do payout mean Centre Street, near Pond St.?

Sure, OP, no car is no problem, even if further out in the Forest Hills section, which I think is still JP?
Maybe I'm remembering with rose colored glasses. But this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3319...w-pnrjjr_A!2e0

Dunno why, but in the evening, the sunlight on this street is just gorgeous. I would get the same light on Boylston/Brookline walking from Fenway to Longwood. This block just continues in the same direction. It has some appeal to me in the density and uniformity of the brownstones and perhaps cuz it is essentially the last block of "downtown" - the continuous brownstone neighborhood - the last block of "urban" Boston.

And yes, along the pond it is also stunning too but in the more nature sort of way.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Yuck. I hate this stretch.

Look at that gang graffiti to the right...up on the roof!

I hate driving over the tracks; they cause my tires to bounce around even if it's not raining.

Plus, many of those units have BARS on the doors at night, not just the windows.

With all my complaining, I couldn't appreciate the aesthetics of the sunlight which you afmire, I guess.

Not far on the right, Envision is a newer boutique hotel, but not a great area for visitors.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Yuck. I hate this stretch.

Look at that gang graffiti to the right...up on the roof!

I hate driving over the tracks; they cause my tires to bounce around even if it's not raining.

Plus, many of those units have BARS on the doors at night, not just the windows.

With all my complaining, I couldn't appreciate the aesthetics of the sunlight which you afmire, I guess.

Not far on the right, Envision is a newer boutique hotel, but not a great area for visitors.
I can see the faded beauty. Sorta like that Temple on Seaver St before it was restored and it was covered in growth. Or the South End when it was tattered. Or the Liberty Tree building at the end of Boylston when it was still the Combat Zone. I could see it. Maybe even liked it better that way.

That block's better if you walk. Hell on a taxi no doubt.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:02 AM

59 posts, read 69,943 times
I lived in JP without a car, and it's possible but annoying. Some people absolutely love JP, but to me it felt like the worst of both worlds - the expense and crime of the city along with the inconvenience of the suburbs. You can do most things without a car, but unless you stop at the Stop & Shop in Brigham Circle before heading back to JP, or if you live near the Whole Foods, getting groceries is going to be a major P.I.T.A.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
I lived in JP without a Car for 5-6 years. 39 Bus is an easy commute to Longwood Area. You actually wouldn't even be able to drive your care to work up their anyways. If you need a Care infrequently, just use Zip Car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston