Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:28 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Weird question. OP presumably has some smarts since he’s pulling in about 170k. It doesn’t take a financial wizard or technical genius to figure things out. Do a google search for average household income in the US just for fun, then get more specific and do one for MA. OP can then see if he can survive living on a paltry 170k/yr. Sure, he’ll have to sacrifice by foregoing a 10,000sq ft house in Weston but those are some of the sacrifices some need to make in life.

After spending a whopping 10 minutes finding out how his income compares, he can then do another search for rent prices. I’ll be specific and tell the OP to google “rentals in MA”. Some of those websites even allow you to narrow down by # of bedrooms and other things! Here comes the hard work though...the OP will need to use a calculator or something to determine his budget and then match that with what is on the computer screen. Can he possibly survive on 170k? I don’t know, only time will tell...he may need to take out loans or find some roommates to get by.

I know, I know, he’s not from the US. But if I were moving to Norway, I think I’d be pretty solid with determining if my income would be ok and what kind of place I could expect to rent. And if the amount of Krones I was being offered was disproportionately high, I would know it pretty quickly.
There are a lot of unintelligent people pulling in lots of money and lots of intelligent people pulling in very little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:03 AM

671 posts, read 900,188 times
Quote:
Weird question. OP presumably has some smarts since he’s pulling in about 170k. It doesn’t take a financial wizard or technical genius to figure things out. Do a google search for average household income in the US just for fun, then get more specific and do one for MA. OP can then see if he can survive living on a paltry 170k/yr. Sure, he’ll have to sacrifice by foregoing a 10,000sq ft house in Weston but those are some of the sacrifices some need to make in life.

After spending a whopping 10 minutes finding out how his income compares, he can then do another search for rent prices. I’ll be specific and tell the OP to google “rentals in MA”. Some of those websites even allow you to narrow down by # of bedrooms and other things! Here comes the hard work though...the OP will need to use a calculator or something to determine his budget and then match that with what is on the computer screen. Can he possibly survive on 170k? I don’t know, only time will tell...he may need to take out loans or find some roommates to get by.

I know, I know, he’s not from the US. But if I were moving to Norway, I think I’d be pretty solid with determining if my income would be ok and what kind of place I could expect to rent. And if the amount of Krones I was being offered was disproportionately high, I would know it pretty quickly.
How much do you make? How much would allow you to live comfortably in Norway.

What are the "good" towns in Norway?

Which towns have the best education?

Which towns would you live in?

It's a lot easier getting direct input on specific questions from people who live there. You have thousands of posts. Why don't you just Google everything? Why are you even here? What's the point of a forum?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
How much do you make? How much would allow you to live comfortably in Norway.

What are the "good" towns in Norway?

Which towns have the best education?

Which towns would you live in?

It's a lot easier getting direct input on specific questions from people who live there. You have thousands of posts. Why don't you just Google everything? Why are you even here? What's the point of a forum?
Pfft. Are you kidding? Take it down a notch sparky. I don't care to find this stuff out...but in terms of how much would i need to live comfortably in Norway, anyone can do that by the intensely difficult method I described - google.

I make a very decent living (likely better than you...burn!) so let me take a wild guess here and say that my income here would be adequate in most every place on earth. I can of course go super scientific and pull up a currency converter but that would be over many people's heads I guess. Here, I'll make it even simpler just for you (since you seem to need it) - if one makes 170k in US dollars and was offered the equivalent in (insert whatever country here), I'd feel pretty secure that it would be adequate. But yeah, I would follow up with a 20 minute Internet search to firm it up.

The OP didn't ask specifically about which towns have the best schools and which are the best places to live. He asked about his income and remarked that he would like to be in a place with good schools but his primary question was if his income was enough. That's what I addressed. You, for some reason, are reading into things. I guess you're doing it so you can attack me for some reason. I mean what are you...this guy's attorney?

And I can take a guess that the towns in Norway with the more expensive real estate are some "good ones". But again, he didn't ask that specifically.

The point of a forum is not to answer things that can be easily obtained through an Internet search. Take a look at my posts (and many others) and determine if an Internet search would have answered it well. There are many things that a forum is appropriate for, this ain't one of 'em. But hey, keep on guzzling that coffee or whatever it is that springs you into attack mode, I love you just the same and send you the warmest of hugs.

Yours forever,
G-Fused

Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 PM

671 posts, read 900,188 times
Quote:
Pfft. Are you kidding? Take it down a notch sparky. I don't care to find this stuff out...but in terms of how much would i need to live comfortably in Norway, anyone can do that by the intensely difficult method I described - google.

I make a very decent living (likely better than you...burn!) so let me take a wild guess here and say that my income here would be adequate in most every place on earth. I can of course go super scientific and pull up a currency converter but that would be over many people's heads I guess. Here, I'll make it even simpler just for you (since you seem to need it) - if one makes 170k in US dollars and was offered the equivalent in (insert whatever country here), I'd feel pretty secure that it would be adequate. But yeah, I would follow up with a 20 minute Internet search to firm it up.

The OP didn't ask specifically about which towns have the best schools and which are the best places to live. He asked about his income and remarked that he would like to be in a place with good schools but his primary question was if his income was enough. That's what I addressed. You, for some reason, are reading into things. I guess you're doing it so you can attack me for some reason. I mean what are you...this guy's attorney?

And I can take a guess that the towns in Norway with the more expensive real estate are some "good ones". But again, he didn't ask that specifically.

The point of a forum is not to answer things that can be easily obtained through an Internet search. Take a look at my posts (and many others) and determine if an Internet search would have answered it well. There are many things that a forum is appropriate for, this ain't one of 'em. But hey, keep on guzzling that coffee or whatever it is that springs you into attack mode, I love you just the same and send you the warmest of hugs.

Yours forever,
G-Fused
So why didn't just google this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...er-my-car.html

Or this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...ondo-work.html

Or this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...n-another.html

Why'd you bother asking those questions when you could have googled them? A bit hypocritical.

A lot of good information comes from forums or discussion websites of some sort because you can get a variety of input and follow up with personal questions for more input.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:57 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
So why didn't just google this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...er-my-car.html

Or this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...ondo-work.html

Or this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...n-another.html

Why'd you bother asking those questions when you could have googled them? A bit hypocritical.

A lot of good information comes from forums or discussion websites of some sort because you can get a variety of input and follow up with personal questions for more input.
There was not an adequate answer that was satisfying by an Internet search. The OP's question is much more concrete. Like I said, if I were at the equivalent of 170k/yr in any place, I would feel pretty darn secure, and a quick search would confirm that security. It's not really comparable my dear Shutout. But hey, I wish the OP no ill will and welcome him, his family, and his money into my State.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 11,915 times
Norwegianplayer:

Really surprised no one here has mentioned health insurance. Health insurance premiums are pretty high here, and will need to be factored into your cost of living, since the premiums typically come out of your pretax monthly earnings. For ex., my partner pays 330 a month in insurance premiums to cover our family [just two people, we have no kids]. Copays, prescriptions, deductibles, etc., can really start to ad up when you have kids your age, who typically go to the doc at least a few times a year.

Also note that aside from income tax, there are MANY other 'hidden' taxes in Massachusetts depending on which city/town you live in. There is a reason it's called TAX-achusetts.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 11,915 times
You won't be able to rent a house in downtown Boston [or even a 3 bed room apt] for 2500-3000 in downtown Boston. You can definitly rent a house in Providence for that price-- in fact you could BUY a house in Providence; housing stock there is beautiful. The problem is the schools in Providence have a reputation for being pretty bad. You might end up sending the kids to private school, which is a huge financial burden.

By contrast, public schools in the Boston area [specifically Brookline] have a reputation for being the best in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston