Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM

9 posts, read 31,624 times

Advertisements

This is what I was fearing. I can't believe the money people pay for houses in Eastern Mass, especially for what you get there! I'll look at some of the other towns considerably outside the city. As I mentioned, I live on the Indiana side and drive to Chicago almost on a daily basis (32 miles one-way). Drives can vary from 30 minutes to downtown to well over 2 hours...it just depends on how ridiculously stupid the drivers are being that day!

By the way, how much does the turnpike cost or add up to be driving on 5 days a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM

270 posts, read 1,360,633 times
I agree with all the previous posters but have to add that it is rediculous pretty here. We moved here from NJ and have lived in Europe and all over the US. So far I have enjoyed every single day here(even the ones where you shovel your drive way 3 times a day). Last fall was spectacular! MA has so much to offer, the ocean, the in-land, the neighboring states, Boston, the culture, sports (to watch and to do), architecture, education, easy access via plane and train and even boat etc. And I understand the harsh realities of making a living and the high cost of MA. But if you can get over the sticker shock somehow I am sure you'd love it here too. I know you mentioned it several times you need a house but what about a townhouse or condo?

Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberstroh View Post
...I know you mentioned it several times you need a house but what about a townhouse or condo?
I would settle for a townhouse or condo as long as its newer and has parking for my truck and car. Its hard for me to go back to an "older" home after owning a new one...

Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
If you can find somebody friendly (HR?) in your prospective new company to talk to, ask them about commuting distances and where their employees tend to live or where the "don't move there" spots are. South Shore is dreadful commute to Boston (Route 3/93).
Route 24 South is not fun either but more do-able. Route 95 South is decent if you leave by 6:00-6:30 a.m. I hear horror stories about coming from the west (90) but have no personal experience.

Have you considered living north of Boston, up 93/95? Some very pretty areas up there and you're closer to the NH/ME vacation areas. Just find the commuting time slot that works for you. If you can, get in early and leave early.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
If you can find somebody friendly (HR?) in your prospective new company to talk to, ask them about commuting distances and where their employees tend to live or where the "don't move there" spots are. South Shore is dreadful commute to Boston (Route 3/93).
Route 24 South is not fun either but more do-able. Route 95 South is decent if you leave by 6:00-6:30 a.m. I hear horror stories about coming from the west (90) but have no personal experience.

Have you considered living north of Boston, up 93/95? Some very pretty areas up there and you're closer to the NH/ME vacation areas. Just find the commuting time slot that works for you. If you can, get in early and leave early.
Actually, I have been looking more to the north side more than anything. Just by looking at the layout of the highway system and the burbs, it looks like coming from the west is a bad idea, unless I take the train in. The woman from HR did give me some cities in which some of the works live, which is mostly what I've mentioned above...I'm only being offered 70k, which is a little bit higher than I make now, but I'm starting to ask myself if its really worth living there where "everything" is higher-priced than here.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
Register with Coldwell Banker (New England Moves) and use their search engine to check prices. I'm not familiar with some of these towns, but they turn up houses for $250,000 and under (will your new job payscale allow you to go a little higher?)

Andover
View Details - Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage

Middleton

Melrose

Concord - price is weird tho - $1500/month?

Norton (price $2400?)

Bridgewater

um...pink...

And if you want to do Commuter Rail from the South Shore - really beautiful!!!
Plymouth

Old 01-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Thanks for posting those up. I'll take a look at them. Actually 200k is the max we are looking at, but are willing to go slightly higher. We paid 150k for our house here.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigander View Post
Actually, I have been looking more to the north side more than anything. Just by looking at the layout of the highway system and the burbs, it looks like coming from the west is a bad idea, unless I take the train in. The woman from HR did give me some cities in which some of the works live, which is mostly what I've mentioned above...I'm only being offered 70k, which is a little bit higher than I make now, but I'm starting to ask myself if its really worth living there where "everything" is higher-priced than here.
Making a little more than where you are might not make up for the increase in costs. I love it here and would bear the burden but if you have no particular attachment to the area you might be frustrated. I don't know if it's been mentioned by anyone, but I don't recommend driving to work in downtown Boston at all, since the traffic is bad and parking is a minimum of $300 a month. Frankly the commuter rail is a problem as well since it doesn't run enough. If you miss a 6:30 out of Boston, say, the next one might not be for two hours and you're getting home late. Of course a couple of million people work around this every day so it's completely doable.

That said, I think you're reading the drive time wrong. My personal experience is that the north, the ride down on 93 in the morning, is an absolute nightmare, while the Mass Pike coming from the west is sluggish but much better. I don't do it every day so if others want to express views on this please do.

200K is very tough here for what you're looking for. I personally want to be closer to the city than what you're talking about, so that makes it much more expensive for me, but I'm projecting paying at least double that in about 2 years for a 2-3 BR condo in a 2- or 3-family house. Things are cheaper as you go farther but it's hard to do 200K.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigander View Post
I would settle for a townhouse or condo as long as its newer and has parking for my truck and car. Its hard for me to go back to an "older" home after owning a new one...
This is a question of taste but a lot of the older homes here are absolutely gorgeous and many of them are well made and don't have big problems. I've spent a little time in NW Indiana and I think there's a difference. People here (at least closer to Boston itself, maybe out of necessity) are much less likely to go for new construction)

Old 01-19-2008, 11:17 AM

It probably won't help me that I drive a gas guzzling truck (that I refuse to sell!) Fortunately, the company has free parking for its employees, so that helps. But I already get frustrated when I'm stuck in Chicago traffic...if I'm moving, even 5-10mph, I don't mind, but being at a standstill kills me. I've looked at commuter passes and it looks like it'll run me $150 a month as long as I only take the train or bus, which is fine or me, but that's still another cost I'll have to tack on. Of course, this doesn't include what my wife will do when she gets a transfer, if I take the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston