Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:45 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times

Advertisements

While this past winter was rough generally speaking winter is fairly mild in Boston. Snow tires, decent boots, and a shovel and all is well.

The south shore is not the snow belt of MA we get it easy here, Western MA is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:52 PM

30 posts, read 36,745 times
honestly my least favorite months are march and april. it's not really spring. its 40 degrees and dreary almost everyday. i like the winter up till about the end of february and february usually isn't that bad in terms of bitter cold and wind but it does get some snowfall. if you ski, march can be a great month.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM

32 posts, read 70,878 times
Thanks guys, well, 22 days of snow a year doesn't seem very hard to handle. Although 5 months of winter sounds a little too much.

I live in Southern California, there are not many walkable areas here, I hate the freeways, the car culture lifestyle and the weather, I don't understand how people say California has the perfect weather, you sweat all day, it's always hot, you can never wear a jacket! we didn't have a winter this year and there's no the sense of a real city, everything is spread out.

As I said I like San Francisco a lot, it's a real city, the only good area in California, you can walk everywhere and it's not very hot like here, but the hills are horrible and I want to be far from earthquakes, at least storms or hurricanes are predictable.

I've been watching a lot of videos, documentaries, etc. and I think Boston is more beautiful than San Francisco and it seems pretty safe too and not as expensive as SF. Another thing I don't like about SF is that you see a lot of homeless... and in Los Angeles is a lot worse.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:23 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Downtown may be walkable, not so much with the rest of the city. Some neighborhoods are rough, plenty are well gentrified.

Keep in mind that the City of Boston contains much more than just downtown and includes a large chunk of land inside of 128.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianista View Post
Thanks guys, well, 22 days of snow a year doesn't seem very hard to handle. Although 5 months of winter sounds a little too much.

I live in Southern California, there are not many walkable areas here, I hate the freeways, the car culture lifestyle and the weather, I don't understand how people say California has the perfect weather, you sweat all day, it's always hot, you can never wear a jacket! we didn't have a winter this year and there's no the sense of a real city, everything is spread out.
The Boston area is very spread out except for the immediate downtown area and a few nearby neighborhoods. Many people drive out of necessity, although depending on your individual circumstances it's totally possible to live a car free lifestyle if you are willing to deal with the limitations on mobility that imposes. The road system here is horrible (narrow roads with lots of bizarre twists and turns) compared to California.

Quote:
As I said I like San Francisco a lot, it's a real city, the only good area in California, you can walk everywhere and it's not very hot like here, but the hills are horrible and I want to be far from earthquakes, at least storms or hurricanes are predictable.
Storms and hurricanes aren't always predictable. Forecastable yes, but meteorologists do mess up the forecasts pretty often. A year or two ago, a forecasted 2 inches of snow turned into 2.5 feet for me.

Quote:
I've been watching a lot of videos, documentaries, etc. and I think Boston is more beautiful than San Francisco and it seems pretty safe too and not as expensive as SF. Another thing I don't like about SF is that you see a lot of homeless... and in Los Angeles is a lot worse.
Boston is cheaper than SF. Plenty of homeless people here too even though this is one of the worst climates I can think of to be homeless in.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 PM

Some areas have microclimates, I don't know if the Boston area does, if so, what would it be the least cold neighborhood/city in or around Boston?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianista View Post
Some areas have microclimates, I don't know if the Boston area does, if so, what would it be the least cold neighborhood/city in or around Boston?
Boston itself tends to be the warmest, but temperatures don't vary that much by location here usually.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:44 AM

816 posts, read 994,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post

The south shore is not the snow belt of MA we get it easy here, Western MA is.
Try telling that to residents in Marshfield. Ocean effect snow anyone?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Not enough. Would rather have snow than this heat.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not enough. Would rather have snow than this heat.
Finally someone that likes snow, this is becoming interesting.... I hate the heat too...

So what are the benefits of cold winters or snow against very hot summers (85+) from the people of Boston's perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston