Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 AM

249 posts, read 440,639 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I hope someone can help. I am horrified by the prices . Who ever said that Paris is expensive?
My husband and I are driving from Florida to Boston, because I wanted to know his home town. He told me that it was expensive, but I had no idea .
For health issues, we couldn't go earlier, so we will be there at the end of July-beginning of August. I know it's not the best time, but there is no other option, since we have to leave the US to Paris for about 6 months in September.
I booked hotels or apartments (with Airbnb) up to Washington so far for less than $80/night. We need a room with a private bathroom (we don't share that) with a parking, then we can drive to the subway or bus and park there. My husband left Boston about 55 years ago.... He knows where NOT to stay (assuming he does ). We are planning to go to Cape Cod, but I guess it's more expensive there.
Can you give me some hints? I tried Kayak, Hipmunk, Priceline, Airbnb. I can try Hotwire too, although you never know where you will end up.
If someone has an idea that I have not had, it would be great. He wants to stay 5 nights (maybe we can shorten, but he wants to show me everything , and what I saw is definitely not in our budget.
Thank you very much, you locals, for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:52 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
Hi,
I hope someone can help. I am horrified by the prices . Who ever said that Paris is expensive?
My husband and I are driving from Florida to Boston, because I wanted to know his home town. He told me that it was expensive, but I had no idea .
For health issues, we couldn't go earlier, so we will be there at the end of July-beginning of August. I know it's not the best time, but there is no other option, since we have to leave the US to Paris for about 6 months in September.
I booked hotels or apartments (with Airbnb) up to Washington so far for less than $80/night. We need a room with a private bathroom (we don't share that) with a parking, then we can drive to the subway or bus and park there. My husband left Boston about 55 years ago.... He knows where NOT to stay (assuming he does ). We are planning to go to Cape Cod, but I guess it's more expensive there.
Can you give me some hints? I tried Kayak, Hipmunk, Priceline, Airbnb. I can try Hotwire too, although you never know where you will end up.
If someone has an idea that I have not had, it would be great. He wants to stay 5 nights (maybe we can shorten, but he wants to show me everything , and what I saw is definitely not in our budget.
Thank you very much, you locals, for helping.
On Priceline (Name Your Own Price or Express Deals) and Hotwire, a 3 star or better in the following neighborhoods will put you in comfortable hotel in a safe neighborhood: Beacon Hill, West End, Back Bay, Fenway, Financial District, Seaport District (aka Waterfront Area/Convention Center), Aquarium, Faneuil Hall, Financial District, Theatre District, Chinatown, Boston Common, North End, Cambridge. I don't know if you'll get $80/night, but the rates should be much better. Quincy, Braintree and Newton should give you some suburban options close to transit too.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:27 PM

You give me a big job, Irfox, but thank you very much for the information.
Maybe I will have some more questions...

Old 06-24-2015, 09:07 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Consider looking a bit further afield. Hotels are EXPENSIVE in Boston and Cambridge, so to get under $150 you're going to need to look out on bus lines or near the commuter rail.

Super 8 in Watertown isn't a nice hotel, but it's a place to sleep. It's right on multiple bus lines into Cambridge. You can catch a bus that will drop you off right in Harvard Square multiple times an hour.
Best Western in Quincy is about a mile walk to the T, but affordable. You could also consider getting an Uber for the trip.
The Marriott in Quincy is very reasonable, but you have to pay for parking and its up a huge hill about a mile from the subway. You would almost definitely need to take an Uber or Lyft or something similar to go back and forth. I've actually been there for a conference and can vouch that the hotel is safe and nice.

One thing to consider is parking for your car. If you stay in town, you might have to pay to park your car at the hotel. Yes, it's insane. Even some inner suburbs have charges for parking at the hotel. As noted above, that's even true in a few hotels in Quincy, though it goes from $30-$50 overnight to $14 in that case. That can surprise a lot of people who don't budget for it!

Also keep in mind that Boston has changed a lot in 55 years! It's even changed a lot in 15! If he hasn't been back in a long time, some areas that might seem more seedy to him (especially Somerville) have actually gentrified quite a bit.

Last edited by charolastra00; 06-24-2015 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
In addition to AirNB, try Homeaway and VRBO.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:40 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
You should probably look into a week long rental and use that as your jumping off point, event to the cape as a long day trip. These rentals tend to be cheaper on homeaway.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:30 AM

Thanks all for your help .

After a few days and nights looking, numerous headaches and some unsuccessful requests , I finally booked last night a room with half private bath through Airbnb (we can't understand how people rent 2 or 3 rooms in their houses with only ONE bath. We don't share that!). Hotels were definitely too expensive, even Hotwire. For what I saw, Homeaway, VRBO and Flipkey are more expensive. The site Tripping.com gives several options, hotels and rentals.

The biggest PLUS of this place is it is in Winthrop, where my husband has been raised. He is already on Google, looking for his house, his school and all memories. So even if it's not the Ritz, I am sure that will be paradise to him.

Now I have to go through worse, I think, with NY . All the rest of the trip (one way) is taken care of. The return won't be so difficult, we can stay outside of any city.

I am very grateful. Thanks again

Old 06-26-2015, 09:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
we can't understand how people rent 2 or 3 rooms in their houses with only ONE bath. We don't share that!

Why / how is this puzzling to you? I grew up (as did many people) in 3 bedroom houses with one full bath (1.5 baths).

Old 06-26-2015, 10:25 AM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
I grew up in western PA and our house was 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. We also had a little half bath. After I left and came back to visit I was amazed how we did it with 4 kids. My mom has sold the house over 10 years ago so now when I visit I just drive by and visit our next door neighbors who still live there.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:27 AM

I think there is a difference between growing up in YOUR house and renting to guests. We don't share a bathroom when we go to places, like we don't sleep in a dormitory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston