Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 25,222 times

Advertisements

Southie, is great, except for Andrew Square, which is no where near K street. k street is one of the nicest streets in Southie. Even the public housing projects are ok. She will be fine. If she lives at K and Broadway, she will be one block from the Fire Station. There are always firefighters sitting right there, day and night. It is also very convenient to everything, beach, bus , supermarket, bank, coffee shop, restaurants, boutiques, spas, all within walking distance. The only thing missing from Southie are the long time residents. There aren't many left. Contrary to what others have said, a lot of us are wonderful hardworking people. We just happen to be fiercely loyal to each other. Growing up in Southie was like growing up in a small town. Everybody knew each other and watched out for each other. But the world has changed, even Southie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 12:37 PM

145 posts, read 282,805 times
Default South Boston Fine, but south of South Boston...

Take a look at these crime maps:

http://spotcrime.com/ma/boston

Crime | Universal Hub

From my experience living in Boston, they seem to correctly identify the better and worse neighborhoods. IMO, South Boston is fine, but NOT most of Dorchester or Roxbury, and definitely NOT the area between Dorchester and Roxbury. Just like in any city, a little wisdom goes a long way in terms of staying in lite populated areas, not taking side streets at night alone, obviously not getting involved with gangs or drugs, being careful around potentially instable people, etc. Much crime, but not all crime, goes to those who are flirting with it.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:46 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss44 View Post
From my experience living in Boston, they seem to correctly identify the better and worse neighborhoods. IMO, South Boston is fine, but NOT most of Dorchester or Roxbury, and definitely NOT the area between Dorchester and Roxbury.
Nope. Sorry, I'm looking and, when I see the same land mass, I see the same amount of crime.

In most RESIDENTIAL areas of Dorchester, I don't see any crime at all-oh, dear! There's some spraypainting vandalism. Eeeek!

Hmmm... can't say the same thing about Southie. Or the North End. Or South End. Or Back Bay. Smaller areas are just teeming with little icons denoting rampant crime.

Not too long ago, Southie was synonymous for crime and mayhem. We know every Sunday around March 17 it's still known for public drunkenness and assaults and bigotry.

I'd step right off that righteous "correctly identify the better and worse" soapbox if I was you.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:48 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern-Mike View Post
And us Bostnian's get quite offended when the south end is referred to as southie, etc.
Um, no. I've never seen anyone get "offended" unless they had a pathological need to show that they were smarter than everyone else (which, in the case of Southie/South End, is really grasping at straws). It's a common source of newbie confusion and the most common response I've seen is "No, that's the South End, not South Boston" (or vice versa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston